the use of molasses

• Thread starter still smokin
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

Sunbiz1

Yes, and you can get divorced from Molasses if you want to and can marry Malted Barley Extract, in "liquid" (incredibly thick, good luck pouring it unless it's at least 105*), panocha/panela (a cone of cane sugar), palm and date sugars. Or you can stay married to Molasses and get dry molasses.
http://www.amazon.com/GreenSense-Dry-Molasses-50-lb/dp/B00025H2T0

If you do go the dry sugar route, do some calculations before making teas or applying. It's a much denser/saturated sugar, no more solution, and so a lot less can go a long way. Or, you can experiment with making it into a syrup again. I've done that with the sugar cones, it's a lot easier than standing there under your plants with a fucking grater, furiously grating sugar under them like you're grating Parmesan onto spaghetti.

You can also get dry malted barley extract. I've used all but refined sugar and powdered sugar to great effect. This year, not so much sugar because I keep forgetting!

I happen to live near many horse breeding farms and feed stores, this info definitely helps. Sugar cones?, were you referring to cane?.

BTW, that sativa plant is a bitch...no wonder the market is flooded with indica...lol

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
No, the cones are literally shaped in a flat-topped cone, it's a more traditional product than the free-flowing sugar we're used to in the US. It's also much less refined. Cane sugar can be formed into cones, and you see that in the Hispanic markets (panela/panocha, be careful who you use the panocha word with, mkay? it's a not nice word for vagina). Coned sugar can also be made from date or palm sugars.

S

Sunbiz1

No, the cones are literally shaped in a flat-topped cone, it's a more traditional product than the free-flowing sugar we're used to in the US. It's also much less refined. Cane sugar can be formed into cones, and you see that in the Hispanic markets (panela/panocha, be careful who you use the panocha word with, mkay? it's a not nice word for vagina). Coned sugar can also be made from date or palm sugars.

LOL, vivio en Santo Domingo para dos anos...I'm bilingual. I'll stick to the feed store for the dried molasses. That's seems to be the best option for the guerrilla grows...just sprinkle a tad around each plant and let the rain finish the job.

Thanks again!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I agree. Mi espanol no es bueno, pero mi familia se vive en Puerto Rico.

GanjaGardener

GanjaGardener

I moved on to supp lighting. But I'm still going bring a jar of Granny on my next trip to the woods...figure it couldn't hurt to pour a bit before a good rain...lol
hola! Taking Granny w/ you to the woods? My word! Well... to each his own. Better Granny than Brer Rabbit, I suppose.
It blows me away that a product that is 40%-50% sugar doesn't attract ants- even repels fire/red ants should their presence be a concern.

Yes, and you can get divorced from Molasses if you want to and can marry Malted Barley Extract, in "liquid" (incredibly thick, good luck pouring it unless it's at least 105*), panocha/panela (a cone of cane sugar), palm and date sugars. Or you can stay married to Molasses and get dry molasses.
http://www.amazon.com/GreenSense-Dry-Molasses-50-lb/dp/B00025H2T0

If you do go the dry sugar route, do some calculations before making teas or applying. It's a much denser/saturated sugar, no more solution, and so a lot less can go a long way. Or, you can experiment with making it into a syrup again. I've done that with the sugar cones, it's a lot easier than standing there under your plants with a fucking grater, furiously grating sugar under them like you're grating Parmesan onto spaghetti.
Didn't realize that dry application was an alternative but I haven't grown directly in the earth's (amended) soil in quite awhile, either. Makes perfect sense considering it will be watered in by one means or another. Nice to have a selection of sweets around to work with, too

You can also get dry malted barley extract. I've used all but refined sugar and powdered sugar to great effect. This year, not so much sugar because I keep forgetting!
Have seen malted barley as a bottled nute ingredient- EJ? The plants prolly wouldn't notice the difference, but I would. I love the taste of malted barley extract- a hell of a lot better than the ag molasses I've been grazing on late at night after the munchies get depleted, anyways.

S

Sunbiz1

hola! Taking Granny w/ you to the woods? My word! Well... to each his own. Better Granny than Brer Rabbit, I suppose.
It blows me away that a product that is 40%-50% sugar doesn't attract ants- even repels fire/red ants should their presence be a concern.

Ants are beneficial in some ways, UNLESS they decide to take up residence in your root system....then you have to kill the queen.

Diatomaceous earth works, some use molasses tainted with borax...not something I would want in my root systems though.

jeffadies

jeffadies

Garden of Dreams Seed Co
why is granny better than brer rabbit?

jeffadies

jeffadies

Garden of Dreams Seed Co
less kinky was my thinking. actually, (i think i mentioned this), brer rabbit's nute strength is 2 x that of grandma's. (last checked 2 yrs ago)

haha gotcha.. thanks for the heads up on that.

jeffadies

jeffadies

Garden of Dreams Seed Co
It isn't, just more readily available.

Thanks mang. I noticed the granny is about 2 bucks more per bottle at safeway. Also i just got the Hadava agave nector and it seems alot easier to dissolve. Dont know much else on it thus far but im gonna see how it does.

S

Sunbiz1

Thanks mang. I noticed the granny is about 2 bucks more per bottle at safeway. Also i just got the Hadava agave nector and it seems alot easier to dissolve. Dont know much else on it thus far but im gonna see how it does.

I've never tried agave, it's a fructose substitute with no nutrients. Molasses on the other hand...take a peek at what I just found as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molasses

Horticultural
Soil
*Molasses can be added to the soil of almost any plant to promote microbial activity.[7]

*Hydroponic
Molasses contains the disaccharide sucrose. This sugar does NOT substitute as a flowering enhancer in hydroponic gardening. Sucrose cannot be transferred through a plant's cell membrane and therefore can not be used by the plant for cellular production. Other substitute "sugar boosters" for hydroponics contain deoxyribose, lyxose, ribose, xylulose, and xylose. These simple and complex carbohydrates are the main components of cellular reproduction, and deliver an immediately usable form of energy to the plant, which would normally rely on a soil-type organic medium for beneficial microbial activity

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
http://www.livestrong.com/article/151159-nutritional-information-of-agave-nectar/

Sweetener Myths and Facts Sweeteners & Your Dietary Health:
Nutritional Information of Agave Nectar

Carbohydrates

A serving of agave nectar has 16 g of carbohydrates, according to The Daily Plate. Carbohydrates are the primary source for fuel for the body and are used for a variety of other important functions. The health website VegFamily.com states that while the carbohydrates in some sweeteners come from unnatural fillers and stabilizers, the carbohydrates in agave nectar come directly from agave juice.

from the same site

Molasses Nutrition Information

Calories and Macronutrients

A tablespoon of molasses averages 58 calories. It contains zero grams of protein or fat and almost 15 g of carbohydrates. Molasses provides about 11 g of sugar: 5.8 g of sucrose, 2.38 g of glucose and 2.56 g of fructose.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/262769-molasses-nutrition-information/#ixzz1W0ezsfiP

S

Sunbiz1

http://www.livestrong.com/article/151159-nutritional-information-of-agave-nectar/

Sweetener Myths and Facts Sweeteners & Your Dietary Health:
Nutritional Information of Agave Nectar

Carbohydrates

A serving of agave nectar has 16 g of carbohydrates, according to The Daily Plate. Carbohydrates are the primary source for fuel for the body and are used for a variety of other important functions. The health website VegFamily.com states that while the carbohydrates in some sweeteners come from unnatural fillers and stabilizers, the carbohydrates in agave nectar come directly from agave juice.

from the same site

Molasses Nutrition Information

Calories and Macronutrients

A tablespoon of molasses averages 58 calories. It contains zero grams of protein or fat and almost 15 g of carbohydrates. Molasses provides about 11 g of sugar: 5.8 g of sucrose, 2.38 g of glucose and 2.56 g of fructose.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/262769-molasses-nutrition-information/#ixzz1W0ezsfiP

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/1936/#b

Here is some more information on how molasses feeds microbes in soil grows, no wonder it works so well for my purposes b/c I use outdoor soil indoors. With this in mind, I would question whether agave has the same effects.

It is the molasses which feeds the microbes...which in turn feed our plants!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Plants can take up sugars directly. This is established fact.

I just found an old brewing kit for American Wheat Beer, complete with a quart bottle of malted barley extract and priming sugar! Can I hear a woot? WOOT! I like to take the MBE and just leave a small glop of it right under a dripper.

Agave has Ca, Fe, Mg and vitamin C in it.
Molasses: http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/sweets/5573/2
Can't seem to find malted barley extract on this site,.

freegrow

freegrow

Premium Member
Supporter
Plants can take up sugars directly. This is established fact.

I just found an old brewing kit for American Wheat Beer, complete with a quart bottle of malted barley extract and priming sugar! Can I hear a woot? WOOT! I like to take the MBE and just leave a small glop of it right under a dripper.

Agave has Ca, Fe, Mg and vitamin C in it.
Molasses: http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/sweets/5573/2
Can't seem to find malted barley extract on this site,.

yes they can .......but to what extent ? thanks seamaiden:hi

is it a enhancement or just an osmotic effect ?
how much sugar is good for a plant?
how much is not enough/too much?
without knowing these variables its just guessing at what we are doing
other than what we observe ...kinda like before ppm meters and ph meters
know what I meen?

Latest posts

Top Bottom