The War on Medical Marijuana in MI Super Thread, NEWS,BUST,LAWS <<<<Updated Often>>>>

• Thread starter oscar169
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
oscar169

oscar169

Farming 🌱
Supporter
FBI Executes Search Warrant at Barry Co. Sheriff’s Office
Barry county sheriffs office

BARRY COUNTY, Mich. (March 12, 2014) — FBI agents executed a search warrant Wednesday at the Barry County Sheriff’s Office.

Officials with the FBI confirmed they were assisting the Department of Justice’s Office of the Inspector General, but would not speak to the circumstances surrounding the warrant.

No one was arrested during the raid, according to FBI officials. They declined to comment further because the investigation is active.

According to the Office of the INspector General’s website, the mission of their office is to detect and deter waste, fraud, abuse and misconduct with Department of Justice programs and personnel.

The OIG investigates alleged violations of criminal and civil laws by DOJ employees as well as audits and inspects programs.

The U.S. Attorney’s Office declined to comment.

Read more: http://fox17online.com/2014/03/12/fbi-presence-at-barry-co-sheriffs-office/#ixzz2vsw38LQP

Canappa

Canappa

Here is a Video of the Hearing on the two bills
Michigan Senate Testimonials for HB5104 and HB4271

It gets good about 1:00 into it the old lady Librarian and the Lawyer from Bloomfield Hills with a daughter that seen a 90% drop in seizures after cannabis use. They say by summer they will have an answer. Now thats "Real News" there Oscar, good find.

Last edited:
oscar169

oscar169

Farming 🌱
Supporter
How Much Could Michigan Gain In Marijuana Tax Revenue?
Shutterstock 180969842 0

Colorado is flying high (pun intended) with $2 million in recreational marijuana taxes from January alone.

If this trend continues, Forbes reports, the Centennial State could see more than $40 million in additional tax revenue this year.

This got us at Benzinga wondering how much our own state (Michigan) and the struggling Motor City could benefit from pot taxes. Let's do some math.

If Colorado can accumulate $40 million in additional tax revenue with a population of about 5.2 million people, we can roughly estimate (with a little high school algebra) that Michigan's population of 9.9 million could generate about $76.2 million. Detroit's population of approximately 700,000 alone could get about $5.4 million.

Past estimates

A 2005 study by economist Jeffrey Miron estimates that the state of Michigan spends $158 million annually on police, judicial and corrections costs of marijuana prosecutions. The study also estimates that the state could gain between $28 and $32 million in additional revenue from legalized, taxed marijuana.

If we take the money that would be saved in criminal justice costs from legalizing marijuana ($158 million) and add it to the lower estimate ($28 million), we get an additional $184 million in tax revenue available for the state.

See also: First Cannabis Job Fair EVER Highlights Marijuana Industry's Rapid Growth

Future approximations

Pat Oglesby is a lawyer and the founder of the Center for New Revenue, a not-for-profit corporation that looks a new sources of revenue with a focus on marijuana taxes. He told Benzinga that the official estimates of marijuana tax revenue for Colorado and Washington are $20 per person, per year. If we multiply this by Michigan's population of 9.9 million million people, we get a whopping $198 million.

But that's only about $14 million for the city of Detroit. This number seems rather small compared to the $18 billion the city owes in secured and unsecured debt.

"It's not a game-changer," Oglesby said, "but every little bit helps."

Response to taxed marijuana

There's little opposition to taxing legalized marijuana. Leading industry analyst and 420 Investor Alan Brochstein told Benzinga that even with taxes, marijuana prices will ultimately be lower to consumers than on the black market before legalization.

“Another point is that the taxes can be earmarked, as in Colorado, for positive social good, like public schools,” he said. “So, this is a case where taxes probably don't bother people too much, as the benefits are so great.”

Brochstein said that although the additional tax revenue could help struggling economies like Detroit, legal marijuana would also help by creating jobs.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/much-could-michigan-gain-marijuana-165636519.html

oscar169

oscar169

Farming 🌱
Supporter
Michigan residents with stress disorder might qualify for marijuana; decision by state pending
It would be 1st debilitating medical condition added to program since 2008
Medical Marijuana   3611717

An advisory panel is recommending that medical marijuana be approved for Michigan residents suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder.

The vote last week was 6-2. The ultimate decision now rests with Steve Arwood, director of a state agency that oversees the medical marijuana program.

It would be the first debilitating medical condition added to the program since voters approved marijuana for the side effects of cancer and other ailments in 2008. A vote on insomnia was a tie, 4-4.

Chris Lindsey of the Marijuana Policy Project, a national group, says marijuana can be safer for people with stress disorder than prescription drugs.

He says the disorder can affect anyone who has suffered a traumatic event, not just war veterans. At least seven states allow doctors to recommend medical marijuana for it.

oscar169

oscar169

Farming 🌱
Supporter
Fired marijuana users shouldn't receive unemployment aid, group says

Bilde 1

Michigan's leading business group is urging the state appeals court to rule out jobless benefits for people who are fired for using medical marijuana. / Associated Press

LANSING, MICH.
— Michigan’s leading business group is urging the state appeals court to rule out jobless benefits for people who are fired for using medical marijuana.

The appeals court has cases involving people who sought benefits after being dismissed. Judges in Kent and Ingham counties have ruled in favor of the workers.

Rich Studley of the Michigan Chamber of Commerce says businesses are in a “no-win situation.” He says employers would have to ignore marijuana use or else pay higher unemployment taxes if a fired worker collects unemployment aid.

The appeals court hasn’t set a date for arguments. The cases involve a forklift driver in Grand Rapids and a hospital employee in Charlotte. They say they shouldn’t be denied benefits after losing their jobs for using marijuana in a legal way.

stonestacker

stonestacker

Fired marijuana users shouldn't receive unemployment aid, group says

View attachment 388450
Michigan's leading business group is urging the state appeals court to rule out jobless benefits for people who are fired for using medical marijuana. / Associated Press

LANSING, MICH.
— Michigan’s leading business group is urging the state appeals court to rule out jobless benefits for people who are fired for using medical marijuana.

The appeals court has cases involving people who sought benefits after being dismissed. Judges in Kent and Ingham counties have ruled in favor of the workers.

Rich Studley of the Michigan Chamber of Commerce says businesses are in a “no-win situation.” He says employers would have to ignore marijuana use or else pay higher unemployment taxes if a fired worker collects unemployment aid.

The appeals court hasn’t set a date for arguments. The cases involve a forklift driver in Grand Rapids and a hospital employee in Charlotte. They say they shouldn’t be denied benefits after losing their jobs for using marijuana in a legal way.

I need to watch this close.
I have many employers that participate in MUST. Mandatory yearly and random drug tests. That don't honer medical marijuana. First offense is removal from that job site permanently and I think three weeks off from that employer. Not to mention workers comp. Whether my fault or their fault.

I find it funny that they don't seem to care when my safety modules are expired, but let my drug test laps and look out. Now you got me going. They mandate this shit but don't compensate me for my time. It always seems to take a couple of hours to get the drug test on my time. This winter I took my safety modules about 12 hrs on my time.

oscar169

oscar169

Farming 🌱
Supporter
Former Cop: Legal Marijuana Could Reduce “Property Taxes”
Larry og marijuana strain1

BIRMINGHAM, MICHIGAN- A former law enforcement officer told a Michigan radio program that “marijuana users do not cause trouble” and enacting legalization of marijuana could reduce property taxes.

Tony Ryan is a national speaker for Law Enforcement Against Prohibition, a 501(c)(3) organization composed of criminal justice professionals from around the world who bear witness to the wasteful futility of our current drug policies. Ryan appeared on the March 13 edition of the Planet Green Trees Internet radio show, a weekly program with 190 broadcasts spanning three years. That show is hosted by criminal defense attorney Michael Komorn and features Chad from Birmingham Compassion Club, Jamie Lowell from 3rd Coast Compassion Center in Ypsilanti, and this author.

“I know NPRA flew you in,” Komorn acknowledged, referring to the National Patients Rights Association. “You gave testimony to the Senate” during the Government Operations Committee meeting on Tuesday, March 11. That Committee considered two bills from the Michigan House of Representatives- HB 4271, the Provisioning Centers Act, and HB 5104, the Concentrates Bill.

In a previous TCC article, NPRA legislative chairwoman Robin Schneider said, ”We have tremendous respect for the Prosecutors, Judges and Police Officers from Law Enforcement Against Prohibition. We felt it was important for the Government Operations Committee members to consider their point of view and invited them to testify at the hearing. Tony Ryan delivered a moving testimony on the need for both bills from an experienced law enforcement perspective and we are very grateful for his time and wisdom.”

DISPENSARIES AND CRIME
When asked by show host Michael Komorn about his position on medical marijuana dispensaries and crime, Ryan said, “I’m not sure that we (LEAP) have formed an actual opinion on that yet.”

Ryan used the example of distribution of marijuana for adult use in Colorado, which began in January of this year. “Nobody’s been robbed yet. It’s been two plus months now and nobody’s tried to pull a heist on them, in either the medical marijuana dispensaries or the ‘marijuana for anyone over 21- stores.”

“Do you think that, in order to effectively manage this from a regulatory standpoint, the marijuana growing needs to be centralized or do you think it can be decentralized as Michigan has with its caregiver system?” inquired Komorn.

“Some people are having trouble getting access to the marijuana that by law they are legally able to do that, so I’m not sure how that system actually works,” Ryan said, based on his time spent speaking with Michigan residents. ”Colorado set up a pretty stiff licensing thing including a pretty stiff, heavy fee to get your license, like $1800… to get the license to even sell.”

“Do yo think that the dispensary model… is the (national) trend for both medical and legalization?” Komorn asked.

“I think that since nobody else wants to sell it… at this point in time I don’t think you can mix it with any other kind of business… so what’s left is authorizing stores,” Ryan replied.

Ryan explained that dispensaries, which are referred to as Provisioning Centers in HB 4271, are places where patients can become educated by those who know the various marijuana strains- and their effects on the human body. “There are some people who’ve become real experts in the science of marijuana,” Ryan added. “It’s not just a weed growing out in the backyard somewhere, it’s getting to be quite a science.”

On the issue of marijuana and crime, Ryan told this story: “In my experience as a police officer, 36 years, 30 of them on the street and 26 as a supervisory or command officer of the street guys, I never got a call nor did I hear any of my troops get a call on the use of marijuana- unless somebody wanted to turn somebody in because they were mad at them, because marijuana users do not cause trouble.”

The Michigan State Police took a contrary stance on the issue of organized distribution during the Senate Committee hearing. Read more about that testimony HERE.

LEGALIZATION, REGULATION AND CONTROL
When asked to give his impression of lawmakers and marijuana reform, Ryan said, “I think they are just flailing around, trying to figure out what to do next.” In trying to keep pace with social attitudes, Ryan says lawmakers “are looking around the country and they are seeing that there are two states that have now legalized marijuana for adults… with a lot of regulation, which is what LEAP talks about… if you legalize it then you can regulate and control (marijuana).”

Once Washington’s legalization program begins in July of 2014, Ryan said, “We’ll have two states that are doing that, they have legalized and are regulating and controlling (marijuana). The governors are licking their lips over the tax income. Colorado is at least smart enough to direct some of that to schools as part of their Amendment 64, so it actually will help taxpayers in a number of ways.”

One of those ways is a potential reduction in the property tax for Colorado residents. By funding schools directly, marijuana legalization “should help reduce the increases in property taxes, because that’s where (school) funding comes from, usually.”

Regulation and control of marijuana distribution was a central theme of Ryan’s testimony to the Senate. Read more about that Senate session HERE.

ON SENATOR JONES AND SB 783
In addition to testifying before the Senate Government Operations Committee on March 11, Ryan also spoke with another former law enforcement official- Senator Rick Jones, the Republican leader of the Senate Judiciary Committee and a former County Sheriff. Jones is noted for his multiple attempts to restrict activities allowed under the Michigan Medical Marihuana Act (MMA); he introduced two anti-patient bills earlier this year which would disadvantage MMA participants in landlord/tenant relationships and Child Protective Services cases. Both Jones and Ryan have more than 30 years of experience as cops; Komorn asked Ryan about the meeting.

“Charmie Gholson went there with me,” Ryan began. “She exhibited a little surprise and said, ‘Wow, he was nice to you.’ Well, I said, cop to cop, I think it makes a little bit of a difference.” Gholson is the founder ofMichigan Moms United, a pro-patient organization.

“I had an interesting talk with him. He didn’t seriously object to anything I had to say about what’s going on there in Michigan.” Ryan said Jones was “fairly receptive, actually. He said he had problems with a couple of provisions. He had a real problem with something like 48 dispensaries along the one street there in Lansing,” a commonly-cited misconception about the proliferation of dispensaries in the state capital in the early years of the MMA. “I said, we’re talking about control and regulation, and that relates to that, but that doesn’t mean you should keep it from the patients. They shouldn’t have to go to the ends of the earth to get their legal medication,” Ryan offered.

“Other than that, he was very pleasant.”

Komorn asked Ryan about Jones and a bill he introduced, SB 783, which would give landlords the ability to ban marijuana use or cultivation in rental or lease properties. “He was pretty specific about people that come in and rent a house,” Ryan answered. “They have hundreds of plants, he said, and it messes up a house. I said, That’s a private contract between two individuals.’ If a landowner doesn’t want marijuana grows in his house, if they’re the owner telling their renters, they can do that… If the renter doesn’t like it the renter doesn’t rent.”

Ryan expressed concern about the methods Jones is using to achieve his goal. “I’m not sure it’s the bailiwick of the state to give them extra provisions for that right, just about marijuana, because that kind of makes it look like your’e trying to… do an end run around people. That’s what it looks like to me, because they already have the right to decide.”

Ryan summarized by saying, “It doesn’t seem like that’s that big a problem that it needs a special law for that.”

Read more about Senator Jones’ bill SB 783 HERE.

Listen to the entire broadcast, and checkout the archive of shows, by visiting the Planet Green Trees website HERE.

http://www.theweedblog.com/former-cop-legal-marijuana-could-reduce-property-taxes/

Source: TheCompassionChronicles.Com

oscar169

oscar169

Farming 🌱
Supporter
Marijuana activists prepare for new campaigns in Michigan cities, including East Lansing
Piscs

Andrew Cissell of Ferndale speaks to the media before handing over a petition with more than 600 signatures to decriminalize marijuana in the city to the Ferndale City Clerk on July 30, 2013. / Kathleen Galligan/Detroit Free Press

Political organizers behind Michigan’s string of victories in local ballot proposals on marijuana said they will soon launch campaigns in as many as a dozen other communities.

After wins in cities as large as Detroit and as small as Ferndale, organizers said they will start gathering signatures April 1 for proposals in Hazel Park, Oak Park, Utica, East Lansing, Mt. Pleasant, Port Huron and several other communities yet to be decided.

The push, which is to include running some free-the-weed candidates for local and state office, is sure to jar law-enforcement officials and youth drug prevention groups that for years have fought efforts to ease marijuana laws. And even when the proposals pass, they are merely symbolic, according to police chiefs in Detroit and Ferndale, both of whom have vowed to continue making marijuana arrests under state laws.

“When you put the badge on your shirt, you say you’re going to enforce all the laws — not just the ones you think you should,” Ferndale Chief Tim Collins said.

Still, Tim Beck, a pro-marijuana Detroiter who cofounded the Safer Michigan Coalition of cannabis supporters, said of the elections, “This is going to be big.”

Beck, 62, a retired health insurance executive, has worked behind the scenes for more than a decade on legalization campaigns across the state. At Safer Michigan branches in the cities Beck has targeted, volunteers have told him they’ll gather signatures without pay, leaving more money to spend on billboards and other advertising, Beck said.

The language of the ballot proposals is expected to go beyond Michigan’s medical marijuana act, passed by voters statewide in 2008, to approve limited steps for making nonmedical possession either legal in small amounts or an offense equivalent to a traffic ticket. Most proposals will appear on November ballots, but those in Oak Park and Hazel Park are to be in the August primary, which is virtually guaranteed to have a low turnout, Beck said. That’s part of a broader effort to recruit those who otherwise would not vote into showing up to support not only a ballot proposal, but also a candidate, Beck said.

In Oak Park and Hazel Park, that candidate is to be Andrew Cissell, who has never held political office and is fighting criminal charges for allegedly selling marijuana in Detroit. He has said he is running for state representative in the strongly Democratic district where Ellen Cogen Lipton, D-Huntington Woods, is term-limited this year. Cissell is “a good guy and he’s totally devoted to our issue” — legalizing cannabis in Michigan, Beck said.

Cissell, 26, was convicted in February of voter fraud for falsely listing himself as a Ferndale resident when he gathered signatures in June for Ferndale’s marijuana campaign. If convicted on the charges of selling marijuana and sentenced to prison, in a trial scheduled to start April 23 before Oakland County Circuit Judge Rudy Nichols, Cissell said he’d give up his campaign.

“But I’m really, really optimistic that I could get probation” and then he’d stay on the campaign trail, “because I know my supporters are going to stick with me,” said Cissell, who has a business degree from the University of Michigan and is a volunteer for the Sierra Club.

In Lyon Township, another single-issue marijuana candidate said he will run for the township board. Steve Greene is a state-approved medical-marijuana user whose criminal case, filed by township police, was dismissed in 2012, his attorney said.

“I’ve never done this kind of thing before, but I figured, why not? It’s time we had candidates running who offer people a real choice,” said Greene, 46, a freelance radio broadcaster who hosts a website called Radio Weed Show.

Greene is using his site to enlist support statewide for a list of what he calls cannabis coalition candidates. This week, he asked scores of organizers by e-mail to join him in pledging their votes, he said.

Even largely unknown candidates who strongly support marijuana legalization could get nominated in primaries where several candidates split the vote and a marijuana proposal draws an unexpectedly strong turnout, according to one political scientist.

“If they have devoted supporters whom they know they can turn out to support them, I think this type of candidate has a chance,” said David Dulio, chair of the political science department at Oakland University.

oscar169

oscar169

Farming 🌱
Supporter
Criminal charges issued in medical marijuana raids
Bilde 2

The Karmacy medical marijuana dispensary in Springfield was raided in June; criminal charges against the owner recently were authorized. / Jennifer Bowman/Enquirer file

Six people now are charged following a raid of three Springfield medical marijuana dispensaries last year.

The Calhoun County prosecutor issued the warrants Friday and Michigan State Police have begun to make arrests.

Chief Assistant Prosecutor Matt Smith said the warrants were issued for employees and owners of The Karmacy at 4549 W. Dickman Road, Southwest Compassion Care Center at 700 N. 20th St., and Happy Daze at 695 N. 20th St.

Smith said warrants were issued for two people at the Karmacy, one from the Compassion Care Center and three from Happy Days.

The owner of Karmacy, Kiel Howland, surrendered on Monday, according to his attorney, Bruce Leach of Grand Blanc.

“The government gave my client license to do something and the new prosecutor disagrees with that,” Leach said Tuesday. “We are confident my client will be exonerated.”

All three dispensaries were licensed by the city of Springfield and Leach said Karmacy was inspected by law enforcement and given approval to operate.

“In our opinion he was legally operating and was inspected and was approved,” Leach said.

Charges include delivery of marijuana and possession with intent to deliver marijuana. Possible penalties range from maximums of four years to seven years in prison.

Some employees of the dispensaries were not charged because they were following directions of the business owners and believed they were operating within the law, Smith said.

But Smith said the businesses were not following the parameters of Michigan’s Medical Marijuana law.

In some cases, he alleged, the employees were just selling the drug to buyers.

But Smith said Karmacy had established a system to suggest they were following the law.

“They tried to create a front that looked like they were following the law,” Smith said. “But they were growing it, they were selling it and they were pocketing the money.”

“There is nothing further from the truth,” Leach said about Karmacy operations. “It was professionally run by the book.”

Smith said the business owners suggested they assigned caregivers to each patient and that each caregiver was assigned an area at the business to grow the required number of plants and placed marijuana for each patient in locked cabinets.

But Smith said the investigation showed that caregivers were not assigned to patients, as required, and that marijuana was simply placed in different lockers according to price.

“We sent in two undercover officers who were assigned as patients and they never met their caregiver,” Smith said. “They didn’t know they were caregivers for those undercover police.”

“They tried to set up a front that they were doing everything correctly” he said. “They really weren’t.”

Smith said at the other two businesses, if a patient arrived with a medical marijuana card they simply were sold the marijuana.

“They were just selling. They got individual hand-to-hand deliveries.”

The charges follow the raids by the Michigan State Police and Southwest Enforcement Team on June 26 at the three dispensaries and homes of owners in Kalamazoo and Barry counties.

“Everything was completely legal,” Leach said. “This is a little ridiculous. They are not criminals but they are being turned into criminals.”

germinator

germinator

Is this presser considered spam? If so miso sorry but wanted the farmers to be in the know.........

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Contact: Steven Sharpe 517-795-8077; [email protected] Industrial Hemp Documentary Sparks Action on Farming Legalization and Policy Reform “Bringing It Home” to screen in Detroit and Jackson, Michigan March 4, 2014 — Detroit, MI — The recent Farm Bill provision for hemp research and pilot programs has sparked national media awareness and conversation about hemp. But what’s preventing the U.S. from fully joining 31 other industrialized nations that allow its farmers to grow this beneficial crop? MI Hemp and Cannabis Counsel will host two screenings of the award-winning documentary film “Bringing It Home” on Friday, March 28, 2014 7 p.m. at Ponyride in Detroit (www.ponyride.org ) and on Thursday, April 10, 2014 3:30 p.m. at the Michigan Theatre in Jackson. (www.michigantheatre.org) In 2013 twenty-one states introduced industrial hemp legislation, but current federal policy still places a barrier on production. More industrial hemp fiber, seed and oil are exported to the U.S. than to any other country and American consumers are purchasing over $500 million in hemp products annually. Bringing It Home explores the question of why a crop with so many widespread benefits cannot be farmed in the United States by exploring its history, industries and current farming legalization efforts. Filmmakers Linda Booker and Blaire Johnson were inspired by environmentally-conscious home designer Anthony Brenner’s story to find the healthiest building material available to build a safe indoor environment for his young daughter Bailey, who has a sensitivity to synthetic chemicals. Brenner received national media attention when he and Hemp Technologies completed “America’s First Hemp House” for the former mayor of Asheville, North Carolina. Booker and Johnson tell the story of hemp through animation, archival images and footage they filmed with hemp business leaders and entrepreneurs like Brenner in England, Spain, Washington D.C., California and North Carolina. The screening of “Bringing It Home” in your location is part of a national grassroots screening tour across the country, “We made “Bringing It Home” with the intention of reaching a broad spectrum of viewers – from policy makers and civic groups, to farmers and health advocates, from consumers to the construction industry –with the same strategic message about how hemp offers solutions and hope,” says Director Linda Booker. The documentary aims to magnify dialogue and legislative action about hemp in order to facilitate America’s transition to a more informed, sustainable, and healthy future. MI Hemp and Cannabis Counsel are hosting the film as part of its mission to improve Michigan’s economy. Screening Date: Screening Time: Screening Location: Admission: Screening Date: Screening Time: Screening Location: Admission: Friday, March 28, 2014 7 p.m. Ponyride, 1401 Vermont St. Detroit, MI 48216 Free Event Thursday, April 10, 2014 3:30 p.m. Michigan Theatre, 124 N. Mechanic St. Jackson, MI 49201 Free Event For more information about the event, contact Steven Sharpe #517-795-8077. For more information about the film: www.bringingithomemovie.com . Producer/Director, Linda Booker, is available for interviews and press inquiries: [email protected]

Last edited:
Prime C

Prime C

Defender of Dank
Supporter
Is this presser considered spam? If so miso sorry but wanted the farmers to be in the know.........

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Contact: Steven Sharpe 517-795-8077; [email protected] Industrial Hemp Documentary Sparks Action on Farming Legalization and Policy Reform “Bringing It Home” to screen in Detroit and Jackson, Michigan March 4, 2014 — Detroit, MI — The recent Farm Bill provision for hemp research and pilot programs has sparked national media awareness and conversation about hemp. But what’s preventing the U.S. from fully joining 31 other industrialized nations that allow its farmers to grow this beneficial crop? MI Hemp and Cannabis Counsel will host two screenings of the award-winning documentary film “Bringing It Home” on Friday, March 28, 2014 7 p.m. at Ponyride in Detroit (www.ponyride.org ) and on Thursday, April 10, 2014 3:30 p.m. at the Michigan Theatre in Jackson. (www.michigantheatre.org) In 2013 twenty-one states introduced industrial hemp legislation, but current federal policy still places a barrier on production. More industrial hemp fiber, seed and oil are exported to the U.S. than to any other country and American consumers are purchasing over $500 million in hemp products annually. Bringing It Home explores the question of why a crop with so many widespread benefits cannot be farmed in the United States by exploring its history, industries and current farming legalization efforts. Filmmakers Linda Booker and Blaire Johnson were inspired by environmentally-conscious home designer Anthony Brenner’s story to find the healthiest building material available to build a safe indoor environment for his young daughter Bailey, who has a sensitivity to synthetic chemicals. Brenner received national media attention when he and Hemp Technologies completed “America’s First Hemp House” for the former mayor of Asheville, North Carolina. Booker and Johnson tell the story of hemp through animation, archival images and footage they filmed with hemp business leaders and entrepreneurs like Brenner in England, Spain, Washington D.C., California and North Carolina. The screening of “Bringing It Home” in your location is part of a national grassroots screening tour across the country, “We made “Bringing It Home” with the intention of reaching a broad spectrum of viewers – from policy makers and civic groups, to farmers and health advocates, from consumers to the construction industry –with the same strategic message about how hemp offers solutions and hope,” says Director Linda Booker. The documentary aims to magnify dialogue and legislative action about hemp in order to facilitate America’s transition to a more informed, sustainable, and healthy future. MI Hemp and Cannabis Counsel are hosting the film as part of its mission to improve Michigan’s economy. Screening Date: Screening Time: Screening Location: Admission: Screening Date: Screening Time: Screening Location: Admission: Friday, March 28, 2014 7 p.m. Ponyride, 1401 Vermont St. Detroit, MI 48216 Free Event Thursday, April 10, 2014 3:30 p.m. Michigan Theatre, 124 N. Mechanic St. Jackson, MI 49201 Free Event For more information about the event, contact Steven Sharpe #517-795-8077. For more information about the film: www.bringingithomemovie.com . Producer/Director, Linda Booker, is available for interviews and press inquiries: [email protected]
@germinator ..Thanks for the ^^^^^^ INFO...:)

Hell yeah! Viva La Hemp!!

oscar169

oscar169

Farming 🌱
Supporter
Here is an Update to the post #64 Things are looking on the UP...:D
PTSD added to medical marijuana-worthy conditions in Michigan

New Pot

A state official has reluctantly added post-traumatic stress disorder to the list of conditions that qualify for medical marijuana in Michigan.

Steve Arwood, who heads the agency that oversees the program, said he’s following the recommendation of an advisory panel, especially the affirmative vote of Michigan’s chief medical executive, Dr. Matthew Davis.

“I do remain very concerned with the scope of this approval and the process in general. … First, the condition of PTSD is a mental health issue. Granting this approval steps Michigan away from the use of marijuana for disease of the body or chronic pain symptoms of a physical nature,” Arwood said in an order dated last Friday.

PTSD is considered a mental health condition linked to a terrifying event. Since Michigan voters approved it in 2008, marijuana typically has been used to relieve the side effects of cancer, glaucoma, HIV, hepatitis C and a few other conditions. PTSD is the first condition to be added to the original list, although seven other states allow doctors to recommend marijuana to treat the disorder.

Michigan users of medical marijuana need a doctor’s diagnosis and a card from the state. More than 100,000 people have cards, including 86 who are under age 18, according to the Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs.

“I remain concerned that there may be insufficient evidence on the effect of marijuana on minors,” said Arwood, department director.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2014/...ical-marijuana-worthy-conditions-in-michigan/

oscar169

oscar169

Farming 🌱
Supporter
Marijuana grow operation discovered inside Battle Creek business
13256995 small

Forty marijuana plants were seized.

BATTLE CREEK, MI --
Police are seeking an arrest warrant against a Battle Creek business owner after a marijuana grow operation was discovered inside his business.
A deputy with the Calhoun County Sheriff's Office was serving a subpoena at the business in the 300 block of Capital Avenue Southwest when he smelled "an overwhelming odor of marijuana," according to a news release.

After obtaining a search warrant, the Calhoun County Special Response Team searched the business and found 40 marijuana plants in two of the rooms.

Officers then searched the business owner's Barry County home, finding $3,000 in cash. Police are seeking an arrest warrant against the 41-year-old suspect.

http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/index.ssf/2014/03/marijuana_grow_discovered_insi.html

Top Bottom