theherbalizor downtime!

• Thread starter theherbalizor
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
logic

logic

Administrator
Staff
I got a macbook for sale if you guys want it for cheap, just has a fucked dvd drive

Its the macbook 13inch (white) upgraded to 2GB ram with 2.16 Ghz Intel core 2 duo

H

hazyfontazy

pc weirdness !!!!!!!!!!!

ever since herb put this thread fox has crashed on me 5 times ,,weird aint it ,,i had no alerts of viruses etc ,,i think i'm getting a mac too ,,cant be done with crashes

T

theherbalizor

Premium Member
Supporter
Have you tried Google Chrome yet? it has a stealth mode that leaves no trace of where you have been.

T

theherbalizor

Premium Member
Supporter
I use Firefox, and love it. Sometimes I run safari. Hate IE.

I must say that this is the first prob I have had with my machine in 5+ years, not so much as a crash, and it still stable now, just a little annoying. Infact my mate mac has had more probs than my pc, but electronics is electronics and it doesn't matter the manufacturer, things still can and do go wrong.

But the Mac OS does indeed seam really stable and fast.

T

theherbalizor

Premium Member
Supporter
Hehe, Vundo I killed with spybot and avg. I think I did end up having to format then also.

But I sussed my fault here. This was a weird one and not a real problem after all.

Basically, my wireless keyboard receptor, after 2 years, decided to become a mouse receiver also, so when I looked at hardware devices it claimed I had two mice. Explaining the clicking issues I was having.

But the reason I thought the machine was infected was because when i ran Task manager I lost all my menus etc. But found out that if you double click on the task manager command box, it goes to Small Footprint mode, and this wasn't retractable whilst having mouse issues.

Pulled my mouse receiver out and all is good!!

Two wasted formats, Ho hum. Least all my data is safe.

P

ProGroWannabe

Yeah that's good to hear herb. Sorry about the wasted formats---but hey, lesson learned for next time eh?

F

FastForward

Vundo is a complete c**t of a virus. Took me down bad too. Only wiping and reinstalling an OS worked for me....ripping it out, and all the associated crap that comes with it, is a major PITA. Nuking from orbit is quick and easy :)

Glad you got it sussed. If it's not a virus 99.9% of the time it's peripheral failure. I learned that one the hard way many moons ago.

AND FUCK MACS!!!! I don't trust any machine with a mouse with one button. It's weird...like wanking with your left hand :D

logic

logic

Administrator
Staff
Get a mac and you wont go back hahahah

:muscle:muscle

T

theherbalizor

Premium Member
Supporter
Thanks folks. I just love the graphics on macs.

The thing is, it was my knowledge of PCs (used to manage a computer shop for 7 years) that made me look into my problems a little too deep, so deep that I missed the very first thing I should have checked, the mouse.

Well I did, but always had the kb pluged in, and this is what was causing the issue. If I was a person that knew noubt on computers, I would have prob replaced mouse and keyboard as the first thing I would do, but I did that last as the prob was presenting as a known virus.

Gotta love computers, and I have to say, this would have happened also with a Mac, but would have taken me ALOT longer to figure out.

Problem solving is my most favorite pastime, especially PC probs. NOT!

Monkfish

Monkfish

I missed the very first thing I should have checked, the mouse.

I dont have a fekin clue, but was this the bastard?:D

funny-pictures-mouse-has-cheese.jpg

hopes your sorted herb iv been fighting this big RON spam off my puter a month

H

hazyfontazy

hazy downtime

:mad0223:i dunno what's happening to me pc ,i got that vundo virus ,thought i cleaned it up ,then 2 days ago everything went slow ,the hard drive sounded like something was eating it ,so i virus scanned and defragged ,rebooted and it came up saying samsung harddrive failure imminent ,back up data and replace,,
my question is ,is the failure cause of the virus or mechanical ,should i replace the hardrive?

ive nuked it just to see if it was a virus and i'm currently reinstalling windows ,fingers crossed the nuke fixed it :(

p.s i think i'll order a mac

logic

logic

Administrator
Staff
virus? defragging? formatting? sorry whats that i have a mac :cool0010:

S

SeenTheLight

If you are getting that message on start up in the BIOS it is probably the SMART monitoring which is never wrong so I would listen to it and replace the drive immediately.

The drive was probably on the way out anyway, but the virus which caused the drive's activity to increase sped up its demise.

If you are do manage to get windows back on as you said you were re-installing, try running this tool from Samsung which should confirm that your drive is on the way out.

Most drives have 3 or 5 year warranties so you should be able to get it swapped out.

Good luck with it :happy

p.s The drive would be no more likely to fail if it were in a PC or MAC, and dont think that MACS are any less susceptible to viruses these days.

S

Slick

For a good antivirus program for Windows I would recommend NOD32 or if you need a Firewall, etc too get ESET Smart Security and NOD32 is integrated within it; the best free antivirus Ive ever come accross is Spybot: Search and Destroy. Ive tried all sorts on AV programs in the past and most dont even come close to this one when it comes to virus removal.

Prevention is always better than cure though so I would get a decent Firewall before anything and the best I have come accross lately is Filseclab Personal Firewall Professional Edition which is extremely powerfull and lightweight, best part about it though is its free.

Glad it was just the mouse though, I bet that was a relief.

Green81

Green81

Premium Member
Supporter
Damm computers, just got that vundo virus aswell............ another 6 hours of re-install... blahhhhhh

CBF

CBF

Supporter
i had a trojan DNS hijacker, could not get online, motherfuckers, had to order new damn disks to reboot the whole works. i dont surf anywhere, have no clue how i got it.

aka

Latest posts

Top Bottom