They hate us cause they HortulANUS

• Thread starter Hortulanus
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Hortulanus

Hortulanus

FUNGUS GNATS!?!

Damn it. That’s what killed two of my seedlings. I was wondering what stunted them but the little buggers weren’t stunted they had their tap roots eaten.

Anyone have any luck eradicating the gnats in a tent while salvaging their other plants or is this a total redo?

Hortulanus

Hortulanus

Might just be an added buffer thing idk...better to ask the "real" hydro guys not me lol 🤣

Yep. They got back to me finally and yes there is a bicarbonate buffer. They don’t think the pH will be stable because of the porosity of the Promix HP.

So I’m getting rid of the Canna Aqua if anyone in my area (Toronto & GTA) wants this it’s yours. I doubt I’ll run a recirc system anytime soon.

Feel like an idiot for grabbing the wrong damn bottle.

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
FUNGUS GNATS!?!

Damn it. That’s what killed two of my seedlings. I was wondering what stunted them but the little buggers weren’t stunted they had their tap roots eaten.

Anyone have any luck eradicating the gnats in a tent while salvaging their other plants or is this a total redo?
azamax, de, and sticky cards should do the business imo. Maybe spinosad for azamax.

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
Ok I’ve got the sticky cards set up and I’ve got DE.
Any advice on application of the DE? I’ve just been sprinkling on top of the Promix.
Scratch it in about an inch and reapply after a couple waterings as you see a problem...then I slow down to every couple weeks if I see no visible problem... The idea is it cuts up young and bugs in soil so it slows reproduction drastically and sticky cards catch fliers. After waterings it will clump more and you have less even coverage. Then a root drench (before de) and foliar application and they should be pretty damn hampered.

Hortulanus

Hortulanus

Scratch it in about an inch and reapply after a couple waterings as you see a problem...then I slow down to every couple weeks if I see no visible problem... The idea is it cuts up young and bugs in soil so it slows reproduction drastically and sticky cards catch fliers. After waterings it will clump more and you have less even coverage. Then a root drench (before de) and foliar application and they should be pretty damn hampered.

How would one come across these pesticides I hear about on here. You mention azo. Is this something you can buy cause I cant seem to get anything shipped to Canada.

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
How would one come across these pesticides I hear about on here. You mention azo. Is this something you can buy cause I cant seem to get anything shipped to Canada.
Any decent gardening store or hydro store should have this stuff in some form or something comparable. Both the products I mentioned are omri rated, which is nice. No idea where to get it online.

bellumromanum

bellumromanum

FUNGUS GNATS!?!

Yea man I had a bad time with fungus gnats last run. You gotta hit them from a few angles at once. If your watering practices are in line and the topsoil isn't staying too moist you'll have a much better time getting in front of them. I did several applications of nematodes, introduced predator bugs into the tent and hung the yellow sticky traps.

You can look up and order whatever predator species you need on Arbico Organics website...they have a fungus gnat guide I found pretty useful:

Good luck homie!

Hortulanus

Hortulanus

All great weapons to have on the shelf / I run promix and pretty much leave the sticky cards hangin all the time amazon baby ! One of the things I don’t like about promix is it’s always got fuckin bugs ! At least down here

i don’t know if I can blame the gnats on the Promix just yet. My fiancée has been using another peat mix recently for her succulents and that could have done it.

I have noticed how quickly this stuff dries out though. It’s impressive.

Are you running Promix HP? What ferts you running?

Hortulanus

Hortulanus

Did a deep clean today and sprayed down the plants again. I’ll napalm them later if I can’t control the gnats but nothing is flying around.

Got the promix started for the three clones. Once the clones dry out I’ll plop them in.

I wanted to set up pots and water first to give the lime a chance to break down a bit. Also threw in some compost tea and molasses.
Run off was 5.6pH. I won’t adjust for pH when I water first week. My tap is 6.8.

Pretty impressed with the myco growth I saw when I disturbed the promix I have the seedling in.

Inventory for this grow looks to be:

1 reg seed of a strain I’d hate to name again (my mom has 4 other regs same strain sprouted)
2 cuts of NL (never seem indoor-excited for this one
1 cut of lemon OG I sprouted back in March but I’ve been calling her lil baby big mama cause she’s a cut from a cut of what I called big mama

Yeah I know I’m high.

DDBB3128 19B7 4AB2 886B 007ACDEB5475
33830099 304A 4593 BDF5 50744A101EDC
7989C253 9909 4337 BFF0 7AB85F5F023D
364B44B7 EEB5 4015 8DD0 23175B134E4D

Hortulanus

Hortulanus

Ok screw it I’ll crack 2 extra. Between the two grows we are counting on now 8 regs. Got these from a grower in Jamaica. They have never let me down but boy was this bag random.

8EA5BE1B 9F9C 4F44 9777 7246CD1402C4

JerryGarcia

JerryGarcia

IMO, people put too much effort into complete darkness. Plants in nature do not have total darkness at night 😉

I've never had an outdoor plant be affected by ambient light, whether from the streetlight across the street or the full moon, at least that I can tell (no herming, no re-veg). But I've had problems with indoor plants herming from what I thought was light leakage. It's interesting to hear your opinion, because it kind of tracks with my experience outdoors.

Maybe it's strain dependent and I just haven't put the right plant outdoors.

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
I've never had an outdoor plant be affected by ambient light, whether from the streetlight across the street or the full moon, at least that I can tell (no herming, no re-veg). But I've had problems with indoor plants herming from what I thought was light leakage. It's interesting to hear your opinion, because it kind of tracks with my experience outdoors.

Maybe it's strain dependent and I just haven't put the right plant outdoors.
The plant is receptive to a certain wavelengths range that just happens to be a place where the moon has a hole in its spectrum. Artificial light is a bit more hit or miss.

From what I know.

Latest posts

Top Bottom