Thinking of using UV light

• Thread starter 2Bad
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Where can I get a supplemental UV light?
3 basic spectrums of UV.

UVA - good for bringing out purples in plants, some other stuff too. Does not really impact the UVR8 response which is the one that has some bearing on cannabinoid production. These are available in LED form cheap from lots of places.

UVB - Does impact UVR8 but LEDs made to produce it are either hugely expensive or burn out really quick. The best way to use UVB today is with florescent tubes. I recommend solacure for those.

UVC - probably not what you are looking for. Sterilizes plants, humans, everything and is not healthy unless you know EXACTLY what you are doing. This is used in hospitals for sterilization for example.

UVA is pretty harmless, and I have run (2) 30 W bars in a 4x4 space as much as 10 hours a day without burning the plants. UVB is the one with the most potential to both help and hurt.

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

3 basic spectrums of UV.

UVA - good for bringing out purples in plants, some other stuff too. Does not really impact the UVR8 response which is the one that has some bearing on cannabinoid production. These are available in LED form cheap from lots of places.

UVB - Does impact UVR8 but LEDs made to produce it are either hugely expensive or burn out really quick. The best way to use UVB today is with florescent tubes. I recommend solacure for those.

UVC - probably not what you are looking for. Sterilizes plants, humans, everything and is not healthy unless you know EXACTLY what you are doing. This is used in hospitals for sterilization for example.

UVA is pretty harmless, and I have run (2) 30 W bars in a 4x4 space as much as 10 hours a day without burning the plants. UVB is the one with the most potential to both help and hurt.
For years I heard people talking about the UV from reptile bulbs increasing potency. Which UV is it and is it worth looking into as I noticed a lot of the LED light suppliers include UV in their panels? Is the panel UV provided the correct UV and is it enough to have the desired effect or is it not being properly implemented and only used to market the light?

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

For years I heard people talking about the UV from reptile bulbs increasing potency. Which UV is it and is it worth looking into as I noticed a lot of the LED light suppliers include UV in their panels? Is the panel UV provided the correct UV and is it enough to have the desired effect or is it not being properly implemented and only used to market the light?
Yes, the reptile bulbs are UVB. What's great about them is they are small so you could use them on 1 plant and see differences side by side.

I have a bunch of links to papers I can share if you guys have insomnia. But UVB is the one you want to potentially increase THC. I say potentially because you can also fry your plants and make it worse.

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

Yes, the reptile bulbs are UVB. What's great about them is they are small so you could use them on 1 plant and see differences side by side.

I have a bunch of links to papers I can share if you guys have insomnia. But UVB is the one you want to potentially increase THC. I say potentially because you can also fry your plants and make it worse.
Are the dangers based on light placement or UV intensity provided? One of the things I was told was that you need to place the bulb close to the plant and even then only a small portion of the plant really receives the needed amount to make it effective.

This contradicts placing UV producing LED's in panels since they hang at least 18" away from the canopy hence why I asked about the UV bulbs in LED lights.

Ganjadad

Ganjadad

I was also interested in supplementing uv lighting in flower but now I’m not sure haha, sounds like I would fuck it up. Back to more researching 🤓

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Are the dangers based on light placement or UV intensity provided?

Both. Inverse square law applies to intensity / distance.

It's more of a DLI thing based on my findings. There is ton of info in this thread

So what you are doing is signaling the UVR8 photoreceptor in the cannabis plant. This causes a resultant hormone to be released which impacts cannabinoid production. If you get too much UVB in a day, tissue damage will occur, just like human skin. But the right amount has been shown to increase THC. In some studies. Honestly it is not definitive. My personal results were not conclusive, but I did show a positive correlation between UVB and CBG production. CBG is the precursor molecule to THC and CBD - so if you squint a little you can kinda see how this might be true.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

For uva this is what I use

F2B809CE BF1D 43CA 9703 DE7B3005B0BF

B07B7DAF 45D3 4F4E BF83 A78D984A9B73

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

Hmmm....curious how much of an effect it would induce and what the risk/reward quotient would be for this.

When I was at Jungle Boys we used to sit around the lunch room and talk to the botanist about growing and this was one of the subjects we talked about. He said he didn't have enough empirical evidence to say that their use would increase the quality of product enough for the effort. He said that technically it does increase the potency for the reasons you just explained but not enough testing has been done to truly be able to consistently see the results of UV on crop since no physical tests in a commercial setting had really been done.

That was years ago. I wonder if anyone has been able to do a controlled experiment that could suggest placement and timing. Maybe Dr. Bugsby has something to say on this?

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Hmmm....curious how much of an effect it would induce and what the risk/reward quotient would be for this.

When I was at Jungle Boys we used to sit around the lunch room and talk to the botanist about growing and this was one of the subjects we talked about. He said he didn't have enough empirical evidence to say that their use would increase the quality of product enough for the effort. He said that technically it does increase the potency for the reasons you just explained but not enough testing has been done to truly be able to consistently see the results of UV on crop since no physical tests in a commercial setting had really been done.

That was years ago. I wonder if anyone has been able to do a controlled experiment that could suggest placement and timing. Maybe Dr. Bugsby has something to say on this?
We are at the same place on this.

And yes, Bugby did do some testing on this, he mentions it in a really long video where he is being interviewed by someone - don't have the link handy. It's like 1.5 hours long and the UV stuff is in there somewhere. In a word, his thoughts on UVX use - Meh.

7munkee

7munkee

What kind of UV do blacklights give off? Anything useful for plants?

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I've got UVA, UVB, and even UVC in my tent. Now before anyone freaks out over the UVC, its not in there for use with live plants. I use it for sanitizing between grows. I'll also be using it inside my air hood to sanitize incoming air pulled in through my greenhouse ventilation system. So yes, there are plenty of uses for UVC. Just not on live plants or around people/animals.

My UVA is built into my lights. I also have a set of UVB/IR bars on each of my grow lights. I also have a pair of UVB T-5 reptile lights that arrived today. I'll be playing around with those on this run. I have no idea if there will be any noticeable improvements yet.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

I've got UVA, UVB, and even UVC in my tent. Now before anyone freaks out over the UVC, its not in there for use with live plants. I use it for sanitizing between grows. I'll also be using it inside my air hood to sanitize incoming air pulled in through my greenhouse ventilation system. So yes, there are plenty of uses for UVC. Just not on live plants or around people/animals.

My UVA is built into my lights. I also have a set of UVB/IR bars on each of my grow lights. I also have a pair of UVB T-5 reptile lights that arrived today. I'll be playing around with those on this run. I have no idea if there will be any noticeable improvements yet.
Is this what you have?

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

please tag me in when you start using them.

This will be my first production UVB LED I have seen used. Just curious.
I had the UV/IR bar set with my first Grower's Choice E720. I ran a couple of runs. I like that setup way better than any quantum board I've tried. I added another this fall when I moved to a 4 x 8 tent. What I don't have is an apples to apples comparison. I could run one E720 with and the other without ... and I probably will at some point. It probably won't be this run though. I'm already involved with a bunch of cloning. It's something to think about for the future though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom