This Be How Dirbag Do...

• Thread starter Dirtbag
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I've smoked a lot of good and bad of both hydro and organic over the years. I think there might be an edge to organic on paper at least, but I'm not convinced it's always perceivable. I think there is a lot of variables comparing different systems with all the varying factors for each.

And as far as I know pbp hydro can be run sterile? It's nutrients are already in an available form and dont need breaking down by bennies as far as I know.

All I know is if I can produce pot that tastes and smells as good as my friend does in wool, I'll be happy with it. No doubt.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I've smoked a lot of good and bad of both hydro and organic over the years. I think there might be an edge to organic on paper at least, but I'm not convinced it's always perceivable. I think there is a lot of variables comparing different systems with all the varying factors for each.

And as far as I know pbp hydro can be run sterile? It's nutrients are already in an available form and dont need breaking down by bennies as far as I know.

All I know is if I can produce pot that tastes and smells as good as my friend does in wool, I'll be happy with it. No doubt.

I fully agree. Just sharing my opinion from my limited tests.

About the sterile. It is fully soluble to the plant but also leaves some to break down in the medium. I wonder if you will need more?

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I fully agree. Just sharing my opinion from my limited tests.

About the sterile. It is fully soluble to the plant but also leaves some to break down in the medium. I wonder if you will need more?

Good question. I've got a lot of research to cram into the next couple weeks. This is an exciting change but totally new to me, so there is gonna be a lot to learn.

I think sterile vs biocontrol is gonna be a big decision. But I'm leaning toward sterile atm.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Good question. I've got a lot of research to cram into the next couple weeks. This is an exciting change but totally new to me, so there is gonna be a lot to learn.

I think sterile vs biocontrol is gonna be a big decision. But I'm leaning toward sterile atm.

Whatever you do man i will be watching and learning.

I have wanted to get some grow stones and do a hand watered hydro plant along with the other potting soil plants.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Whatever you do man i will be watching and learning.

I have wanted to get some grow stones and do a hand watered hydro plant along with the other potting soil plants.

I'm just excited to try something new. And my buddy is pulling almost 7 pounds from a 5x8 u der 3x 750de's in wool. So there is the yield thing to consider lol.

Looks like Pbp might work best running hydroguard or great white rather than sterile. Still not sure about anything.. Like I said, lots to learn.

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
GL on the journey!

U can run pbp sterile. It will kill off the microheard from the seaweed but it's worth the risk unless you are running chillers. At the end of the day the peace of mind is worth it. I think the humic in it will keep the same flow going for you. You can also back off the sterile once you get the watering dialed. Your big worry is root rot when learning the curve. U will most likely be a little on the soggy side at the beginning. Just a safe bet off the bat to avoid problems if any.

Taste wise I don't think u will have anything to worry about specially with pbp. Flav and smell come off great on wool for me. A lot different then those bad dwc or hydroton ones I've had in the past as long as you don't go overboard with like 1600ppm blasting till chop lmao

Just stick with the same style and dial the watering and you will kill it man. Stoked to see how it does for you. Def account for stretch. They take off like a fucking rocket in flower.

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
Also the shortcut for wool is using a syringe after the last water cycle to see pH and ppm/ec in the cube vs testing runoff. Help you dial your curve. Way better then the runoff cause that can be kind of misleading in wool. Way cheaper then a growsense. If any of your buddies has one of those def see if you can borrow it :)

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Only person I know of who runs wireless monitoring is Kevin, but he holds his tricks and toys close to his chest these days... And from what I've heard they rely on the syringe tests more than anything.
But yeah, I'll try to keep my ppms from getting anywhere near 3.2ec lol. Blows my mind.

How often do you dose the res with peroxide? Strongest I can get here is 29%.

Also, about the chiller thing, what's an ideal range to keep the res? Mine stays pretty steady around 72F after sitting for a day, but when I fill it, it can be as low as 62F, but I'm guessing I'll need to sort that out so it's not swinging temps around seeing as its feeding multiple times a day.
Sorry I know I could google a lot of this shit, just easier to ask since I'm here already..

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
Only person I know of who runs wireless monitoring is Kevin, but he holds his tricks and toys close to his chest these days... And from what I've heard they rely on the syringe tests more than anything.
But yeah, I'll try to keep my ppms from getting anywhere near 3.2ec lol. Blows my mind.

How often do you dose the res with peroxide? Strongest I can get here is 29%.

Also, about the chiller thing, what's an ideal range to keep the res? Mine stays pretty steady around 72F after sitting for a day, but when I fill it, it can be as low as 62F, but I'm guessing I'll need to sort that out so it's not swinging temps around seeing as its feeding multiple times a day.
Sorry I know I could google a lot of this shit, just easier to ask since I'm here already..

29% Nutralife or 34% whatever brand. For me 34% is 0.5ml a gal direct add. 29% i would stick with the same. I only dose when I mix a rez and since im on city tap it's not a huge deal. Rez refilled once a week so I get 3 days or so of protection but my waterings are pretty dialed. Rez temp like 68-72 ideal. So you are in the range already. Mine are in most of my room so they creep up to high 70's low 80's sometimes depending on time of year. Why I go sterile but it's not a full on sterile since i dont multi dose over the days. Never a single issue.

That's a fucking bust on Hydroguard. I guess any of those strains of Bac are registered so it will prob be the same if you try to 180 backdoor it.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Looking around it seems LPs here only have a couple types of rootshield trichoderma to choose from. So it must work fairly well. I'm even wondering if an insect frass tea might be the way to go, top feed the tea biweekly..

I'm going to see what I can order at work. I use subdue maxx for one of my greens that always gets pythium, I'll see if they have any biologicals theyll sell me.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Well this is fun, I've never had the balls to get this aggressive before. I stripped the large fan leaves off the seedlings about 10 days after topping them. The nodes are quickly becoming branches and are large enough that they dont require the source leaf to break out anymore. Now the entire root system is working for the new growth only, rather than storing nutrients in a useless source leaf.

At least so I hear lol.. We will see soon enough. With any luck I should be able to take cuttings the day after I crop out and stay within my plant count.
20191009 105045
20191009 105114
20191009 105210

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Well this is fun, I've never had the balls to get this aggressive before. I stripped the large fan leaves off the seedlings about 10 days after topping them. The nodes are quickly becoming branches and are large enough that they dont require the source leaf to break out anymore. Now the entire root system is working for the new growth only, rather than storing nutrients in a useless source leaf.

At least so I hear lol.. We will see soon enough. With any luck I should be able to take cuttings the day after I crop out and stay within my plant count.
View attachment 901645View attachment 901646View attachment 901647

I have never heard you sound so bro-sciency.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I have never heard you sound so bro-sciency.

But bruh... Its the way forward. lol

I'm just experimenting. Playing with a few techniques I had previously discounted. I'm a firm believer in trying something before I make a decision about its validity. And people I trust are saying this works, people who would have scoffed at the idea a couple years ago. Manipulation of source sink relationships are proving key to a lot of the pruning techniques for fast growth and high yields.

Either way, wishing I had left one with leaves on as a comparison.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

But bruh... Its the way forward. lol

I'm just experimenting. Playing with a few techniques I had previously discounted. I'm a firm believer in trying something before I make a decision about its validity. And people I trust are saying this works, people who would have scoffed at the idea a couple years ago. Manipulation of source sink relationships are proving key to a lot of the pruning techniques for fast growth and high yields.

Either way, wishing I had left one with leaves on as a comparison.

Yeah grow weed easy dot com has a tutorial on it. But he used hydro and the same light as me i a 4x4 like mine and i nearly matched his yield with a potting soil grow and zero leaves taken off the plants. He mainlines for even nutrient uptake BRUH!

I was a 2 year grower. He has decades of experience.

All you will see is everyone has confirmation bias for whatever they are putting in the time to test.

harvard scientists do it too. Whatever the tester believes is usually how the test turns out. Harvard tested confirmation bias to be true as well. Lol. Humans are silly.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Believe me, even I think I'm crazy. I've grown the same way for the most part for a long time, with relative success. But seeing my buddies 5x8'a couple days ago really challenged me. The quality and quantity of pot he is pulling from wool compared to soiless is inspiring, he is a former promix grower who switched to wool last year. He says its actually easier In a lot of ways because there is no dirt to haul in or out, plus it gives you complete control, you get quicker cycles and his yields went way up. Awesome enough setup that I want to give it a shot, only thing I need is an irrigation line.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Believe me, even I think I'm crazy. I've grown the same way for the most part for a long time, with relative success. But seeing my buddies 5x8'a couple days ago really challenged me. The quality and quantity of pot he is pulling from wool compared to soiless is inspiring, he is a former promix grower who switched to wool last year. He says its actually easier In a lot of ways because there is no dirt to haul in or out, plus it gives you complete control, you get quicker cycles and his yields went way up. Awesome enough setup that I want to give it a shot, only thing I need is an irrigation line.

I am really curious to see how it goes. It sure is a pro way to grow. And clean.

Top Bottom