This Be How Dirbag Do...

• Thread starter Dirtbag
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I've got my hands full now. Calm before the storm as it were.
Dropped 6 each dragon cheese, hyper blue cherry magoo, and forbidden zkittlez, 10 mighty mite, and 5 of the mighty God cross I made last year. The God I had wasnt the greatest so I'm not expecting much, but you never know what's gonna sprout..
20200411 101432

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
About another week or so of veg give or take.. Figured out what my issue was, it was my friggin ppm meter again. No wonder the plants were happy around 1 ec, after a solid cleaning it was actually 1.3... So for that period when I ramped up to 1.4-1.5 it was actually closer to 1.7-1.8.

Anyhoo, that's sorted out and they seem to be just given 'er now. Another good reason to always go by what the plant is telling you. Thankfully I found the sweet spot by trial and error a week ago, but just found the meter problem yesterday.
20200412 181746

PlumberSoCal2

PlumberSoCal2

These leaves move around more in a day than I've seen before.. Its like if you watch them long enough you'll see them going up or down... This morning before lights out when they were getting ready for bed they dropped so much I was almost concerned lol. But when I checked on them after lights came on, its business as usual.

View attachment 959464

This Lavenda cream is a really neat looking plant. Very uniform structure. I like the look of it a lot, cant wait to see and smell the flowers. Shes the only "new girl" in the room, so I'm curious.

View attachment 959463
Several months ago I saw a video using time stop photos showing the movement of plants before lights out. Looked like they were being wind blown. Amazing.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I dont think I've ever shared any pics of the other type of grass I grow.

Things are just growing in now. Course is closed due to the situation and I'm on my own, though people are still golfing even though I've removed the flagpoles lol. Usually have 2 full time employees and 1 part time employee helping out but they're laid off due to clubhouse closure and lack of revenue. Right now I'm the mower operator, pesticide guy, irrigation guy, mechanic, fert applicator... you name it, doin it all on my own. And honestly loving it. I'm a bit behind for sure but I'd take this over managing employees any day lol. Couple of these pics were from a couple weeks ago before I pulled the pins. A few are from this morning. Keep in mind we are a very small low budget course. We can really only afford to properly maintain the greens and tees and the fairways and rough just get cut. Hardly any fert or other cultural practices outside the greens and tees.
But there is something very cool I find about cutting grass at 3/32". Totally different than maintaining longer grass.

Millions of little plants lol. Called creeping bentgrass because it bends over and creeps along the ground, requiring frequent verticutting.
22829539 10155820372320763 4722427748413383735 o

First cut of the season
22713174 10155820372325763 4429462964098782631 o

22712344 10155820372315763 7790672908839538560 o

20200413 114032

20200413 102758

#1 from a different angle overlooking the lake. That's the water I bring home for the plants lol.
20200413 093726

Last edited:
PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
I dont think I've ever shared any pics of the other type of grass I grow.

Things are just growing in now. Course is closed due to the situation and I'm on my own, though people are still golfing even though I've removed the flagpoles lol. Usually have 2 full time employees and 1 part time employee helping out but they're laid off due to clubhouse closure and lack of revenue. Right now I'm the mower operator, pesticide guy, irrigation guy, mechanic, fert applicator... you name it, doin it all on my own. And honestly loving it. I'm a bit behind for sure but I'd take this over managing employees any day lol. Couple of these pics were from a couple weeks ago before I pulled the pins. A few are from this morning. Keep in mind we are a very small low budget course. We can really only afford to properly maintain the greens and tees and the fairways and rough just get cut. Hardly any fert or other cultural practices outside the greens and tees.
But there is something very cool I find about cutting grass at 3/32". Totally different than maintaining longer grass.

Millions of little plants lol. Called creeping bentgrass because it bends over and creeps along the ground, requiring frequent verticutting.View attachment 961063

First cut of the seasonView attachment 961060

View attachment 961064

View attachment 961062

View attachment 961061

#1 from a different angle overlooking the lake. That's the water I bring home for the plants lol.View attachment 961066
I've been around golf courses most of my life, From 16 working at Vancouver Golf club, Family had a Driving range for 10 + years. I'm a shit golfer but I could drive pretty good. The best golfing for me was by myself crack of dawn 4:30 am summer out with the greens keepers and mowers. Just practice golf when it was clear to whack a ball, If I hit it well i'd walk on if I fucked it up I'd keep hitting balls until I hit one where I liked it and walk on picking up my misses as I went.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I've been around golf courses most of my life, From 16 working at Vancouver Golf club, Family had a Driving range for 10 + years. I'm a shit golfer but I could drive pretty good. The best golfing for me was by myself crack of dawn 4:30 am summer out with the greens keepers and mowers. Just practice golf when it was clear to whack a ball, If I hit it well i'd walk on if I fucked it up I'd keep hitting balls until I hit one where I liked it and walk on picking up my misses as I went.

Lol yeah I dont golf at all. I'm probably one of the few superintendents who dont golf. I do it for the horticulture aspect of it.

Besides, the times I have golfed, I just bump into people who only want to talk about work stuff. Last thing I want to do when I get off work is hang around at work. I've got other shit to grow lol.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Lol yeah I dont golf at all. I'm probably one of the few superintendents who dont golf. I do it for the horticulture aspect of it.

Besides, the times I have golfed, I just bump into people who only want to talk about work stuff. Last thing I want to do when I get off work is hang around at work. I've got other shit to grow lol.
I still liked being there with a cup of coffee & smoke a joint at dawn waiting for enough sun to whack a ball. Longest days of the year were the best just the birds, morning dew,maybe a bit of mist over the lakes and a few early rising workers.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I still liked being there with a cup of coffee & smoke a joint at dawn waiting for enough sun to whack a ball. Longest days of the year were the best just the birds, morning dew,maybe a bit of mist over the lakes and a few early rising workers.

Yep, that's my daily grind. I cant complain. There is nothing like watching the sunrise over the lake every morning.

This here is where I take my lunch break. The course is elevated 300' above sea level and located along the edge of a sheer cliff. There are some spectacular views of the coast from the edge of the property.
20200407 113855

Hidd3nGr0w

Hidd3nGr0w

Seems a Caddy Shack reference about breeding your own strain bent grass x north cali sensi, where you play on it all day and smoke the clippings from mowing would be appropriate, or maybe not. Either way thanks for sharing, beautiful piece of property to go to for sure!

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Seems a Caddy Shack reference about breeding your own strain bent grass x north cali sensi, where you play on it all day and smoke the clippings from mowing would be appropriate, or maybe not. Either way thanks for sharing, beautiful piece of property to go to for sure!

Lol, try this stuff man, it's called "creeping bentgrass" hahaha. Solid idea.

Latest posts

Top Bottom