This Be How Dirbag Do...

• Thread starter Dirtbag
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Thanks man the mix is sunshine 4 it has 25-35% perlite in it and adding 25% vermiculite to that for silica and good better drainage. I'm thinking more plants less veg time so smaller pots. Also thinking of just topping instead of scrog for ease of moving stuff and pulling out makes since these are all reg seeds.

Bruce bugby at the university of utah is using vermiculite instead of perlite for the mix they make for hemp testing. He says its for the silica. And it must work great for them because every plant chamber is booming in his vids.

But i always read it holds more water. I just got my dyna frow foliage pro and protect. Im going to compare some plants with that and only pro mix and pure blend pro.

BurnzYzBudZz

BurnzYzBudZz

HOWCan.i.helPYOU?
Supporter
Bruce bugby at the university of utah is using vermiculite instead of perlite for the mix they make for hemp testing. He says its for the silica. And it must work great for them because every plant chamber is booming in his vids.

But i always read it holds more water. I just got my dyna frow foliage pro and protect. Im going to compare some plants with that and only pro mix and pure blend pro.
I’ve got some of that Dyna grow on the way as we speak. 👍🏻

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Yeah I think they use a 50/50 peat vermiculite mix... I'm gonna try 50/25/25 and see how she goes

jaguarlax

jaguarlax

Supporter

I use the vermiculite in my peat/coco mix... I like vermiculite because it retains the water better keeping my coco moist just a touch longer.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

That and... it was reasonably priced for me. Seemed like my best bet as I got the home gro pack for $60ish.

Best part of foliage pro is it is quite concentrated for liquid nutes. I am guessing i will use 5ml (tsp.) where i was using 15ml pure blend pro.

And likely only 2.5ml of protect. I havent mixed yet. Hope it plays well with my well water without ph adjustment.

PlumberSoCal2

PlumberSoCal2

I use the vermiculite in my peat/coco mix... I like vermiculite because it retains the water better keeping my coco moist just a touch longer.
Hum, I bought a bag of vermiculite last year and it's sat in the garage. I've noticed adult plants in 1 gal cloth pots w/ coco can dry out fast. Time to give it a try. I'm gonna grow a bunch of tomatoes in coco this year and the summer sun/heat can be brutal and I can't watch over them all day.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
The growth is faster with the coco no doubt regardless of pot size but i have consistantly got over 5 oz per plant with 5 weeks veg and final #3 nursery pots. Even have yielded almost half pound.

That pot volume is about 2.4 gallons or almost 10 liters. I think if fertilizing 5’s are overkill for peat too.

I think at this point I tend to agree.
The more I think about why coco or rockwool grows so much faster is because of the increased frequency of fertigations.

The same should be true for peat mixes, the more frequently you fertigate, the faster and bigger they will grow. And obviously you will need to water a 3 gal more frequently than a 5 gal. The root mass is more concentrated and the nutrients are replenished more often. Makes perfect sense.

dire wolf

dire wolf

I havent used vermiculite since the 90's, never had a lot of luck with it.
But I've done a lot of 1 gallon promix grows. I found 2 weeks veg was about as long as I could go before flip. But I put 50 of them under a single light and usually flipped as soon as they started to grow.

I'd pack 100 plants onto an 8x4'tray under 2x 1000w lights. Had a few rooms setup that way for a while.
Never liked vermiculite much , used it in the early days , i could be wrong but if i remember in the 80 's it was highly recommended for airation , drainage , but i found it sort of just overly retained moisture in promix , not in a good way , but 15 % ? Should' not do any harm , i used to over do it and it seemed to create a nutrient sponge that i didnt like .....

As far as container size...
i sort of got used to 3 gals also .....
Under 600 HID lights

dire wolf

dire wolf

Hey plumber , yea in the case of tomatoes in the heat , i think the perlite would be perfect , considering how much tomato roots love water and can sit wet for long periods ......

dire wolf

dire wolf

Hey dirtbag , do you fish out there ? Or is it a no fish house also ?
Just curious whats swimming around that beautiful water ....

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Hey dirtbag , do you fish out there ? Or is it a no fish house also ?
Just curious whats swimming around that beautiful water ....

I dont, but I did. I find find it's just as fun being out on the water without fumbling with a fishing rod lol.

We have ling cod, rock cod, spring salmon, pinks and sockeye, red rock crab and dungeness crab, prawns...

Top Bottom