This Be How Dirbag Do...

• Thread starter Dirtbag
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I'm experienced enough to know coco works damn good lol... But really I'm not knocking promix, it's up there. If I didnt have to lug bales down to the shed I might still be using it. The quality it produces is top notch. Same with coco lol. Coco just uses a whole lot less media, has a faster growth rate and is easier to get to the shed.
I'm with ya on the hydro 100% I learned a lot in soil and glad I did it. It will be my mother media but I can't wait to get home to hydro. Pros and cons to each but home is home.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
There is certainly something to be said for soil. Same with hydro. I'm trying to take the best of both and work with that. Ultimately I'd like to have a hydro-organic system. Or at the least an organic based system on an automated watering system. Something about the zen of knf appeals to me.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

There is certainly something to be said for soil. Same with hydro. I'm trying to take the best of both and work with that. Ultimately I'd like to have a hydro-organic system. Or at the least an organic based system on an automated watering system. Something about the zen of knf appeals to me.
Mr cannuk does organic coco. I haven't looked much into it. But doable just shouldn't be watered to as much runoff.

basscaptain

basscaptain

I'm experienced enough to know coco works damn good lol... But really I'm not knocking promix, it's up there. If I didnt have to lug bales down to the shed I might still be using it. The quality it produces is top notch. Same with coco lol. Coco just uses a whole lot less media, has a faster growth rate and is easier to get to the shed.
man i see how fast things grow in coco... I have never tried..... How dailed in do you really need to be to run it... meters/food and etc....

can I run by eye in it or does it need to be 100% all the time the same.... like you guys run your ecu's

if I ran it, do I have to dail myself in and use the meters ????

Last edited:
Dragonsflame

Dragonsflame

The Dragon
Supporter
Since we're asking @Dragonsflame questions in my thread I'll jump in with one of my own...

DF I've seen you mention korean natural ferments and its piqued my interest. Would you mind explaining what you use for fermentation? I've been seeing it a lot lately and it has me interested. I do coco with mostly organic based bottle nutes right now but I'm always trying new shit. Right @MIMedGrower? Hahahaha.. next up, organics? lololololrotflmao!!!

Yea! so a great place to start would be chris trumps you tube videos. Really easy to follow guides on how to make em all.

But the basic idea - Fermentation by good bacteria breaks down all the nutrition, aminos, and enzymes of whatever the fermented item was, and allows it to be readily absorbed by the soil life / plant. Basic principle is you ferment growing things for use during veg, and flowering plants / fruits for use during transition / flower. In addition, one of the core parts of korean natural farming is colonized / utilizing the beneficial micro organisms growing in your climate, right from your farm / property / grow / region. The thought being that nature specialized bacteria and fungi that are acclimated for your exact climate. So instead of paying out the ass for stuff like great white myco etc, which are likely already dead long before they make it to your garden, and even if they were alive, taking a bacteria or fungi from a different bio region and putting it in your farm is likely they wont survive, or only a few species will. there are also ferments of certain herbs that have natural pest repellent properties, which thru fermentation allows the super concertation. there also is fermented fish which captures a ton of powerful amino acids which the plant and soil life can immediately use to produce abundant growth. The fermented fish is also a powerful pest repellent/ feeding insect stopper / anti fungi as the oil from the fermented fish coats the plant and gives a layer that biting insects dont want to attempt to eat thru. Mites are smothered by it as well.

The best parts of korean natural farming is its cheap to do, and it will definitely build soil / improve terp production and overall quality.. Takes time and some learning, but not hard to do at all. Id call it supercharging a living soil setup, and tipping the balance towards the good guys and the positive / regenerative systems of nature, and getting that last bit of potentiall outta the plant

Dragonsflame

Dragonsflame

The Dragon
Supporter
for what its worth, I firmly believe a good grower can produce high quality with any of them - coco, promix (soilless) soil, or hydro. It really comes down to what your goals are. Will soil and knf outyield hydro or coco on a synthetic feed? No not at all. will it test higher terpene % numbers, yes.

When we were still in oregon i did a big expansion from 8 lights up to 40 lights and 1 room up to 5. So when we did that, I had to make the call and we did 3 rooms in coco, 2 runs with house and garden and 1 with new millennium nutes. one in soil with knf, and one in soil with nectar of the gods.

My results - House and garden yielded the most, had the heaviest buds, and was to my wife and me, not as enjoyable as soil. Numbers wise we crushed it with it, and the majority of my buyers were happy with the quality. Buds expressed good terp production, but it wasnt the tacky dripping levels im used to. We went thru a TON of bottles to make it thru the runs. not cheap. Definitively one that needs a huge flush, much more then they claim imo for decent smoke.

The new millennium I found all the strains took on the same "Sweet" flavor, looks were great and lots of color, but overall the quality was not top shelf and the plants didnt express nearly the terp production Wouldn't recommend the nutes.

Nectar of the gods had bigger looking buds, but they didn't have the weight of the coco side. Flavor was great, and made very enjoyable smoke. Didn't have quite the power of the knf grown, but its a good bottle line, and I can see why they have a big following of happy growers. Some plants seemed to like NOTG more then others, but i suppose thats also part of dialing in a nute line, and individual feeds

The KNF room was all supreme quality. smoke as butter, no flush needed, and plants pretty much grow themselves.

For background, I rarely / never give a special feed for particular plants. I run to many strains to try to play rubics cube, so some get pushed harder then they would ideally want for perfection, and some could take more.

I've been doing knf for 4 or 5 years now, and before that was a long time super soil / top dress organic guy.

Just my 2 cents / thoughts

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
One last question @Dragonsflame, what do you use for a soil mix? Is It a pre-bought? or a homemade tom hill mix type thing?

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Not really much to update... Seedlings are growing up quick. This pic was from a while ago, they're bigger now. And the seed parents are doing well outdoors. Few clones in the tray from the outdoor phenohunt..
20200811 091703
20200811 091259
20200809 160715
20200811 091758
20200809 160726

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
man i see how fast things grow in coco... I have never tried..... How dailed in do you really need to be to run it... meters/food and etc....

can I run by eye in it or does it need to be 100% all the time the same.... like you guys run your ecu's

if I ran it, do I have to dail myself in and use the meters ????

Hey bass sorry I forgot to reply to this. Yeah you need to keep it pretty dialed, especially in the 1 gal fabrics. They work extremely well but have a smaller margin for error with regards to irrigation and feeding. Definitely need to keep an eye on feed and runoff numbers and make sure the irrigation is always working properly. A day with no water mid flower and the plants will be dried up dead. So effective automation is important.

Dragonsflame

Dragonsflame

The Dragon
Supporter
One last question @Dragonsflame, what do you use for a soil mix? Is It a pre-bought? or a homemade tom hill mix type thing?

normally - i use a high quality bagged soil mixed in equal thirds with aeration / bagged soil or previous runs soil/ compost or EWC. then i top dress in some stuff - usually bio live / neem seed meal from down to earth.

Here in hawaii we are kinda playing the make it work game as supplies on the island with flu are scarce. We been using sunshine mix / promix / fox farms ocean forest as we can get it, and mixing with perlite and mac nut compost.

Dragonsflame

Dragonsflame

The Dragon
Supporter
I am also still on the hunt for which top dressing i can find local in hawaii that i like the best to replace down to earth, which isnt available on island.

So far Im using the rainbox mix from earth juice
and the green gro top dressings. verdicts still out, although i will see rainbow mix is cheaper, and has much more myco growth vs green gro

Anthem

Anthem

I am also still on the hunt for which top dressing i can find local in hawaii that i like the best to replace down to earth, which isnt available on island.

So far Im using the rainbox mix from earth juice
and the green gro top dressings. verdicts still out, although i will see rainbow mix is cheaper, and has much more myco growth vs green gro
This might work for additional compost. I take all my cuttings and put them in a composting bin. In a couple weeks you have some decent compost. I do it so it can go in the trash can and not look like what is it. But it might be worth a try. Also you can get compost starter online that works. One last thing you might try would be to find the local fish markets, they have to be around considering your location. Fish heads are suppose to be a great source of natural fertilizier.
BTW your gear looks great!!!!!

Anthem

Anthem

Not really much to update... Seedlings are growing up quick. This pic was from a while ago, they're bigger now. And the seed parents are doing well outdoors. Few clones in the tray from the outdoor phenohunt..View attachment 1014788View attachment 1014789View attachment 1014790View attachment 1014791View attachment 1014792
Dirtbag,
noticed you took some different cuts for clones. Specifically the two on the left. Where you just running low on material or is there something here I could learn from?

Top Bottom