thoughts on the new seedless cannabis seeds

• Thread starter flowerdave
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
flowerdave

flowerdave

Just was reading my greenhouse grower mag and they had an article on the production of cannabis seed that will produce a seedless plant regardless of any males around or hemp fields. What are you feeling of this. With hemp fields popping up it might come down to needing these, Of course it is Dark Heart Nurseries product, thought I would throw this out there for some thought provoking discussion.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Just was reading my greenhouse grower mag and they had an article on the production of cannabis seed that will produce a seedless plant regardless of any males around or hemp fields. What are you feeling of this. With hemp fields popping up it might come down to needing these, Of course it is Dark Heart Nurseries product, thought I would throw this out there for some thought provoking discussion.
Those are called triploid seeds. It's already being used in other areas of agriculture. I'm not taking sides in this one because I'm not up on the topic to be honest. I simply read the same article lol.

growsince79

growsince79

Sounds like they don't want people making seeds. LOL

ThiccHarambe

ThiccHarambe

Hahaha could be a possibility of course! Seeds are after all worth a lot of money especially if they're grade A genetics and I'm sure big companies might not be too keen on letting people take their genetics? Idk just my two sense haha. But this is very interesting! As a breeder though I wouldn't be interested in something like that.

growsince79

growsince79

Hahaha could be a possibility of course! Seeds are after all worth a lot of money especially if they're grade A genetics and I'm sure big companies might not be too keen on letting people take their genetics? Idk just my two sense haha. But this is very interesting! As a breeder though I wouldn't be interested in something like that.
With all the good genetics going around, I can't believe what people still pay for seeds. I think in 10 years they will be as cheap as tomatos and peppers.

flowerdave

flowerdave

I didn’t read that do they go into the science of how? I’m assuming genetically via cirspr

Sounds like some Monsanto shit to me. Control everything make money at all costs. Patent life.
they are using some kinda triploid technology, whatever that is. Same as seedless grapes and such just applying it to cannabis

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

That sounds about right. I figured more people would go after the "GMO" side of this. Triploid genetics are the product of gene splitting ...
With all the good genetics going around, I can't believe what people still pay for seeds. I think in 10 years they will be as cheap as tomatos and peppers.
I hope so ... I'm also hoping that some day cannabis will be as common as corn in a back yard garden ... and no one cares because just about everyone has there own crop (I know, pipe dream for an old man)

Abstract​

Triploidy is the term referring the presence of three sets of haploid (single) chromosomes in an organism or cell line and is termed 3n, where 1n is the haploid chromosome numberfor the species concerned.

Just reading now, first impression is this will only work with mass produced weed of specific genetics.
Not necessarily ... someone has to buy them and $$$ talk. Although it's a certainty that the corporate cannabis farmer will be buying these.

growsince79

growsince79

That sounds about right. I figured more people would go after the "GMO" side of this. Triploid genetics are the product of gene splitting ...

I hope so ... I'm also hoping that some day cannabis will be as common as corn in a back yard garden ... and no one cares because just about everyone has there own crop (I know, pipe dream for an old man)

Not necessarily ... someone has to buy them and $$$ talk. Although it's a certainty that the corporate cannabis farmer will be buying these.
We are already there and its med only. That means almost everyone in town has weed growing. Costs more to grow than to buy. I don't think they will keep paying $5 per seed for long.

Homesteader

Homesteader

Do you all eat seedless watermelon?

"Normal watermelons are "diploid", which means they have two copies of each of their chromosomes in each cell (22 chromosomes in all). The cholchicine treatment creates a "tetraploid" watermelon with four copies of each chromosome (44 in each cell). Both diploid and tetraploid watermelons are reproductively stable, so you can propagate them separately and maintain them as true varieties.

Now comes the trick. When a tetraploid (4 chromosome) watermelon flower is pollinated with pollen from an ordinary diploid (2 chromosome) watermelon, the resulting seed will be a "triploid" plant with 3 chromosomes in each cell. Plants with odd numbers of chromosomes are sterile because the chromosomes have to match up in pairs during reproduction. That means triploid plants cannot make pollen or seeds."

Kind of funny.....Seedless watermelon seeds for sale.....I trust Johnny's though. Best there is.....You pay for it though

Homesteader

Homesteader

Homesteader

Homesteader

What products prevent seeds or turning to a male?

You can't patent anything created by nature but you can put a utility patent on a plant if you unnaturally alter it. My guess is that this is going to be bigger than people assume, not so much for the seeding aspect though. I think an increase in THC, CBD and terps may be the reason though as well as the added control that seedless variety seemingly offers to lawmakers....Big gov loves to be sold on control and we all know they lack common sense. Great combo.

TheMaverickFarmer

TheMaverickFarmer

You can't patent anything created by nature but you can put a utility patent on a plant if you unnaturally alter it. My guess is that this is going to be bigger than people assume, not so much for the seedling aspect though. I think an increase in THC, CBD and terps may be the reason though as well as the added control that seedless offers to lawmakers....Big gov loves to contro

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

You can't patent anything created by nature but you can put a utility patent on a plant if you unnaturally alter it. My guess is that this is going to be bigger than people assume, not so much for the seeding aspect though. I think an increase in THC, CBD and terps may be the reason though as well as the added control that seedless variety seemingly offers to lawmakers....Big gov loves to be sold on control and we all know they lack common sense. Great combo.
Control. The ultimate result of a capitalistic republic whose primary negative side effect is the rewards paid to megalomaniacs solely based on their mental health defect.

or maybe it’s just too early for this shit and a little mydol might help the menstral cycle I’m clearly in. But if you want to see the end result of this check out what happened to the farmers and round up ready canola from Monsanto. Hopefully this is not that. Just depends where the megalomaniac in charge steers it.

bigbagofbuds

bigbagofbuds

If the seedless quality is based on a mismatch of chromosome count, what is stopping someone from reversing and then self pollinating to produce more seeds?

My gut says this is going to be for big agriculture mostly and only sold to hobby gardeners who are willing to pay a premium.

That being said if no one preserves regular lines then it could cause a large loss in genetic diversity. Luckily I think there are enough of us out there that appreciate regular lines that they will always be available, however eventually may not be easy to find, but still available.

This could also help big agriculture from ruining nearby gardens with stray pollen. There are pros and cons to everything.

Top Bottom