thoughts on the new seedless cannabis seeds

• Thread starter flowerdave
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
P

Petrochemical

Supporter
Just was reading my greenhouse grower mag and they had an article on the production of cannabis seed that will produce a seedless plant regardless of any males around or hemp fields. What are you feeling of this. With hemp fields popping up it might come down to needing these, Of course it is Dark Heart Nurseries product, thought I would throw this out there for some thought provoking discussion.
I'm just reading your post into responses underneath it before and I'm responding now all I'm going to say is that if my 45 years on this planet have been any clue whatsoever going against the way Mother Nature does it is a bad f****** thing just my two cents I don't have a dog in this fight other than I would never buy feminized seeds and I would never use them unless I was given them I prefer regular I prefer photo. I'm easily amused

TheMaverickFarmer

TheMaverickFarmer

I had no idea this existed.

like silver for forcing a herm makes sense it would exist.
I can tell you it works:) a must have in your arsenal if you ask me. The old formulas were a bit strong, some reported frying their plants with it. This is ready to use out of the bottle but you need to mix it with a watering agent I think, in my experience you don't particularly need 'transport' any watering agent will work.
Wouldn't recommend doing it passed second week of flower but from what I'm told you can use it later, at your own discretion what you leave in your buds I guess

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I had no idea this existed.

like silver for forcing a herm makes sense it would exist.
Personally, I'd be hesitant to use the product without knowing what's in it. The Growers House page does not show a link to it's safety data sheet.

Edit: I found it: https://opticfoliar.ca/wp-content/uploads/2021/10/SDS_Switch.pdf

I'm no chemist but I fail to see how this product would work.

3.2 Mixtures
Components
1. Potassium phosphate Monobasic
Concentration 2-5 %
CAS no. 7778-77-0
2. Water
Concentration 95-98 %
EC no. 231-791-2
CAS no. 7732-18-5

TheMaverickFarmer

TheMaverickFarmer

Most peeps I know try to stay away but it's out there and has it's uses. I grow my meds so sometimes for me I'd rather make sure my project comes to fruition than wasting my time, money and energy on making a bunch of seeds. I could see this stuff being used a lot in the industry for the same reasons, even bigger incentives for big corp's I suppose

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Most peeps I know try to stay away but it's out there and has it's uses. I grow my meds so sometimes for me I'd rather make sure my project comes to fruition than wasting my time, money and energy on making a bunch of seeds. I could see this stuff being used a lot in the industry for the same reasons, even bigger incentives for big corp's I suppose
Here's a link: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31817812/ While I know that it's being used widely, it's not without consequences. I'd be especially concerned about this growing medical crops. I realize there's great incentive for corporate agriculture, but a glance at history shows that greed will cause companies to compromise safety and public health.

P.S. My crop runs are small (4-12 plants per run). I've yet to have a heavily seeded crop. I've had a few seeds here and there from late flower herms, but that's it.

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

With all the good genetics going around, I can't believe what people still pay for seeds. I think in 10 years they will be as cheap as tomatos and peppers.
Eventually, I would guess something like this will happen with cannabis seeds. What we grow now will become heirlooms.

I pay $4-$5 for a pack of tomato seeds, to get exactly what I want, even though I can get commercial hybrids for half that.

There will be a Gary Ibsen of cannabis, selling seed lines refined by individual growers, keeping famous lines alive.

TheMaverickFarmer

TheMaverickFarmer

Here's a link: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31817812/ While I know that it's being used widely, it's not without consequences. I'd be especially concerned about this growing medical crops. I realize there's great incentive for corporate agriculture, but a glance at history shows that greed will cause companies to compromise safety and public health.

P.S. My crop runs are small (4-12 plants per run). I've yet to have a heavily seeded crop. I've had a few seeds here and there from late flower herms, but that's it.
I'll take a hit of little PGR once in a while instead of taking methylphenidate everyday...all day long😄😉 cheers

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I'll take a hit of little PGR once in a while instead of taking methylphenidate everyday...all day long😄😉 cheers
That is your choice, lol. I'll give you this though ... thanks for a good discussion. That goes for everyone who has participated. It's all been civil. A first class thread so far.

On another note, I'm about ready to give up smoking cannabis altogether. I recently purchased a dry herb vape (Zues Arc GT) and I love the flavor and the high. After taking a few hits of smokeless joy, I've found my new favorite way to consume cannabis ...

TheMaverickFarmer

TheMaverickFarmer

One final thought on this. This is a last resort solution when something goes wrong for me, I compare it to a fast food chain restaurants. You know it's there, you know it's shit food, you know on a long term basis it will have negative impacts but once in a while why not..lol
Happy growing everyone

flowerdave

flowerdave

That is your choice, lol. I'll give you this though ... thanks for a good discussion. That goes for everyone who has participated. It's all been civil. A first class thread so far.

On another note, I'm about ready to give up smoking cannabis altogether. I recently purchased a dry herb vape (Zues Arc GT) and I love the flavor and the high. After taking a few hits of smokeless joy, I've found my new favorite way to consume cannabis ...
I thought it would get good response and it's great people can be civil. That is a rarity nowdays. I just think if the farm just to the west of me grows hemp it would be the only thing that would work

Last edited:
Homesteader

Homesteader

If pollen is that much of an issue in your area, you would probably be better off with some row covering than any chemical. Not sure a floating row cover would stop all pollen but it definitely prevents the spread. You would cut down on air flow and it cuts the sun by 10-20% but if it is only for a few weeks when the males are flowering it may work well for you. Just a thought. It comes in all types of sizes but covering a whole tree is a bit of a challenge.

D

Darqangl

I didn’t read that do they go into the science of how? I’m assuming genetically via cirspr

Sounds like some Monsanto shit to me. Control everything make money at all costs. Patent life.
My thoughts exactly! Just the kinda thing Monsanto would do, same way they do our normal fruits and veggies, then they force farmers to use their seeds while forbidding the to make their own.

Neuro

Neuro

If you plant ice, you're gonna harvest wind.
I'm just reading your post into responses underneath it before and I'm responding now all I'm going to say is that if my 45 years on this planet have been any clue whatsoever going against the way Mother Nature does it is a bad f****** thing just my two cents I don't have a dog in this fight other than I would never buy feminized seeds and I would never use them unless I was given them I prefer regular I prefer photo. I'm easily amused
Mother Nature does not grow in a tent. Your grow would be next to useless if you counted on Mother Nature. Growers selecting for breeding is genetic modification by definition. Us planting seeds that produce hardy plants for agriculture is genetic modification. Pretty much everything we eat is a result of screwing with Mother Nature who almost never grows us a nice batch of wheat or corn out in the forest for us to harvest. I just find it amusing that anyone thinks that they are doing this in a "natural" manner.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Mother Nature does not grow in a tent. Your grow would be next to useless if you counted on Mother Nature. Growers selecting for breeding is genetic modification by definition. Us planting seeds that produce hardy plants for agriculture is genetic modification. Pretty much everything we eat is a result of screwing with Mother Nature who almost never grows us a nice batch of wheat or corn out in the forest for us to harvest. I just find it amusing that anyone thinks that they are doing this in a "natural" manner.
Without fossil fuels the carrying capacity of the earth I around 1 billion people. Clearly we crossed a line well before either of our great grandparents were born. Nothing is “natural” any more.

bigbagofbuds

bigbagofbuds

Without fossil fuels the carrying capacity of the earth I around 1 billion people. Clearly we crossed a line well before either of our great grandparents were born. Nothing is “natural” any more.
With all due respect thats just arguing semantics. I think we can all agree breeding through Mendels laws of inheritance is more natural than breeding through genetic modification using other methods. Sure neither are completely natural, but is one more natural than the other? I would say yes. Does that mean one is better than the other? No, but we all have our personal preferences.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Did not mean to take the side that natural is preferable in fact I play for the other team on most topics. My point was everything is a matter of degrees and point of view. I was actually agreeing with you.

you cannot have the progress we enjoy as a species without blowing up the natural world. But knowing that is not the same as being happy about it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom