thoughts on the new seedless cannabis seeds

• Thread starter flowerdave
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Did not mean to take the side that natural is preferable in fact I play for the other team on most topics. My point was everything is a matter of degrees and point of view. I was actually agreeing with you.

you cannot have the progress we enjoy as a species without blowing up the natural world. But knowing that is not the same as being happy about it.
No harm no foul there @Moe.Red

I understand where you're coming from. However, I'd much rather my crops come from Mendel's law and selective breeding for desired traits over chemical manipulation.

bigbagofbuds

bigbagofbuds

Did not mean to take the side that natural is preferable in fact I play for the other team on most topics. My point was everything is a matter of degrees and point of view. I was actually agreeing with you.

you cannot have the progress we enjoy as a species without blowing up the natural world. But knowing that is not the same as being happy about it.
Hahaha its not the first time two stoners agree on something yet the message is lost in communication.

Everyone has their preference and there are places and times where more or less natural is better.

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

The main issue I would have with triploid or quadraploid cannabis would be — is there anything else in it that isn't in ordinary, household diploid cannabis? People have been smoking diploid cannabis for thousands of years. We have an idea of long-term effects. Not so with other polyploids.

This may not amount to a hill of beans, of course. I don't know if my concern is reasonable.

Homesteader

Homesteader

Isn't fasciation deformity in cannabis the same as a quadraploid? Maybe that is tetraploid actually. If you spray some plants with colchicine (not that I have ever) but if you do it creates extra chromosomes but this also can occur occur naturally

Habosabin

Habosabin

My thoughts exactly! Just the kinda thing Monsanto would do, same way they do our normal fruits and veggies, then they force farmers to use their seeds while forbidding the to make their own.
And suing you if your crop gets polinated by theirs. That's wtf.

saysteva

saysteva

Just was reading my greenhouse grower mag and they had an article on the production of cannabis seed that will produce a seedless plant regardless of any males around or hemp fields. What are you feeling of this. With hemp fields popping up it might come down to needing these, Of course it is Dark Heart Nurseries product, thought I would throw this out there for some thought provoking discussion.
Better than tetraploids ( less veg time / more bract structure ) more trichromes less trimming .not as better than stock diploids as per hetrogosity or vigor. kinda inbetween as per senesence and flower easier trim work . production might be a better choice for mutiple harvests on light dep production also non pollenability is not 100% you can dump polly on em and theyll embibe but not normal field conditions so practical good for metrc and prolly good for facility to keep track of 0.03 % kinda a grafting genetically thing imo ..ipm is about the same ..but i will say they clone like no ones business ive been running an f1 prop for 5-6 seasons .can fit most production technics .although as some said taking control of grain production on a camopy right mindset will only hurt the inovative small conisuer grow people .wich is why certain unnamed holland assosiates are persuing old original "landrace diploids " 2n x 4n = 3n .with maybe a dash of colchicine ....easy too do actually ..
Just was reading my greenhouse grower mag and they had an article on the production of cannabis seed that will produce a seedless plant regardless of any males around or hemp fields. What are you feeling of this. With hemp fields popping up it might come down to needing these, Of course it is Dark Heart Nurseries product, thought I would throw this out there for some thought provoking discussion.

Kron3007

Kron3007

Where I am, if you plant an outdoor crop you will get seeds now. Triploids are a great solution for people who want to grow outdoor in these areas and not get seeds. Row covers, as suggested, don't seem very practical and I would worry about mold.

There are other potential benefits of triploids, but that is the main one.

If you are indoor, it likely isn't as important, but some of the other benefits still apply. If you want to produce your own seeds, stick to diploids.

One reason this is a little different than a lot of crops is you can still clone triploids, so once you have a winner you can do as you like, except breed with it....

Last edited:
Kron3007

Kron3007

For those so opposed to the control aspect, put yourself in the breeders shoes. You spend years improving and stabilizing a line, at huge costs. You sell some seed, and the next thing you know your competitor is selling the same thing without investing any time or resources, essentially stealing your investment.

Breeders often don't release their best genetics because of this. With triploids, that could change and breeders can confidently invest more in the process. I. The end, we will have access to better weed to grow.

Don't like it? Stick to diploids, they aren't going anywhere.

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
HSC has two or three varieties of triploid seeds. If they ever get them back in stock, I will give one a try this summer. Cost twice as much as diploid fems.

Top Bottom