Tnelz thread about whatever!

• Thread starter Tnelz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
THCdurk

THCdurk

Hey tall question for you igs what's the best way to root some clones. I don't have a fancy cloner or nothing like that I have some macroplugs and some great white shark. I'm omw to the grow store now to see what they have. So any suggestions???

gardnguyahoy

gardnguyahoy

Hey tall question for you igs what's the best way to root some clones. I don't have a fancy cloner or nothing like that I have some macroplugs and some great white shark. I'm omw to the grow store now to see what they have. So any suggestions???
I use the cheap cloning trays, ive had success with gro dan trays as well. Some people root in coco. I use a dome, tray, peat plugs and plain water no hormone. And i get 95% success rates.

You gotta learn what works for you. My suggestion is start cheap and just start taking cuts till you do something that works. Ask for advice along the way. Thats what i did and i got roots on my second try

Junk

Junk

I use root riot cubes.

Mix up some Great White & squeeze the cubes to get them loaded with the Great White. The cubes should be wet, but not soaked.

That's all you need to do. I just did about 50 cuts this way & every one of them rooted in about a week. I can't take the credit for the simplicity, people here pointed out that you don't need all the expensive cloning products. What I described above will work fine.

Edit** The best money you could spend at the store for your stuff would be to avoid products (except for the peet plugs)...you need gear...one of these...
http://www.amazon.com/HydroDynamics...F8&qid=1452273087&sr=8-80&keywords=clone+tray

http://www.amazon.com/Hydrofarm-CK6...TF8&qid=1452273208&sr=8-1&keywords=clone+tray

Get the tall dome, but not the above one. Get the dome that has the track for the T5 light (you want the light too) This is a picture of what you want for the dome & light

So, to do it best, i would grab peet plugs, a heating mat, the tray, the insert to hold the cubes (unless it's built into the tray) the dome with adjustable vents & a track to hold the T5, & the T5 figure & bulb. It will probably set you back $50-$65 or so, but it's well worth it.

You might think that's too much $, you don't need all that space etc. Get the bigger tray & dome, you will use it, & it's a nice rig. You could spend less, but this is the best way to spend that money.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
THCdurk

THCdurk

Aight so I don't even need to buy anything good shit. Thanks guys ya da bestest yo.
Lmao but imma just stuck then in the plugs wet with GWS

Junk

Junk

Aight so I don't even need to buy anything good shit. Thanks guys ya da bestest yo.
Lmao but imma just stuck then in the plugs wet with GWS

Yes, that's half the battle.

But successful cloning is super dependent on environment. Your clone rig is the other 50%. without the perfect environment, they will fail.

& with peet plugs, you want to make sure they never get too dry. You'll see what I mean. But if you were using rock wool previously, there is a big difference in watering. I keep a spray bottle filled with water handy, & when I pass by the cloner, I'll spray the cubes that are starting to dry out. You'll see it in the color of the cube. Their color really reflects how wet they are.

But if you let them get bone dry, the plant will yellow & wither & if you don't catch it in time, the clone will fail. The hardest part about it really is making sure you don't let the plugs dry out too much.

For learning purposes, I would keep a cube in the tray that has nothing in it at all. Soak it & squeeze it till it's not drenched, & put it in the tray like the others. Watch that one (as well as the others) so you can see how dry is too dry, what it looks like when it's starting to get too dry etc.

Basically, put a cube in the cloner, but no plant in the cube...then & intentionally fail with it so you can get a good feel for how they work.

Also, you put a cup or so of water in the bottom tray (usually, read the instructions for the one you buy).

Last edited:
SeaF0ur

SeaF0ur

@SeaF0ur

Just to go a lil further bc I'm sure nobody will mind. Now I have done the rice in a container before with my leftover rice when making lab and i burried in a grassy spot and the topdressed all my outdoor plants over the summer...its not so easy to find nice grass in NY in the winter. For the next part you talk about...when you dig up the container with mold, you say to add the same amount of sugar or molassas...since the mold is not a liquid and not easy to measure i assume you mean to eye it out? After that you say to drain the liquid after it emulsifys...how does sugar and mold turn to liquid? is that just something that happens? bc in my head soggy moldy rich and suger don't produce much juice but i have never done this before so i dont know much....if you can please clarify a lil i would really appreciate it! Thanks homey

and @happy b
a grow team?? Hell yes!! Cannabis Warz 2016....I hope this wont be like gym and i get picked last...lol

yeah, you can eyeball it... basically want as much molasses/sugar as you have the cooked rice... after 3-5 days, perhaps gelatinous would be a better description, and at that point you add 3x as much water as you have of the rice/mold/molasses mixture... then it sits another week like that before being strained...

it's quite similar to making lacto, but we're just not drowning the other microbes in milk to isolate lacto.... we're feeding them all with the carbs starches and sugars....

If you recall, last spring this was all solid plant material of stinging nettle dandelion and comfrey that is now a liquid...

20160108 1133411
20160108 1133531

now its just a poop soup in a makeshift cow stomach....

I have never seen this done with cannabis, that is interesting. I'll say a couple things, but FYI, this is coming from fruit trees (not a euphemism, actually fruit trees) so some of it may not apply. If you are interested, I'm sure you are going to google it anyway. But they use it not only to create more trees, but some trees won't bear fruit for years, so they can get you a tree much closer to yielding fruit as the cut will be on the same genetic timeline. Other trees this technique doesn't work, e.g. apple trees (iirc).

The only problem I could forsee, he has basically handled by growing this out so long (look at that main trunk, holy cow) is that you need a fully formed outer layer, like a bark you can peel. Or something that will peel, bc if you scrape too deep it can fail. It's kind of like clones in that way, if you scrape too much off it won't work. So, supposedly, you want the bark material to prevent that. I don't know how you would do it on a cannabis plant. I've just never grown it to the point where it has bark. If you don't have a bark you can peel some people use a food peeler. If you search on line, you can find a specific one that people prefer.

If you have a local tree nursery, they have a product for it instead of using the tin foil etc. I'm not sure if they sell them actually...I see them on the trees, but not for sale? As I think about it, it would make sense that they wouldn't sell them. But you may be able to find them online. It looks similar, just not aluminum foil. I have no idea what they are even called. But it's got extremely sticky tape (extremely) on both ends, & the bubble itself is like a nylon material. I think they way (at least those ones) are designed to work is you wet them occasionally. I've only cloned/cut a tree once to try this & I don't know if it failed or not, as I gave up on it. It took a long time (very basically, I did what Seafour pictured). Anyway, that is how many nurseries make a lot of their smurfs, basically, they clone or graft them.

@SeaF0ur do you know how long that process takes to root? Like how long till vigorous growth starts to happen? It's just curiosity, I don't think I'll ever do it. I'd be really curious if he did the whole plant & left a little growth at the bottom to regenerate, which would happen faster...

I think I might try regenerating on the next round. In theory, it seems like having all those roots already developed would make things go fast...

I hadn't tried it with cannabis as I personally choose to ignore my legal count numbers
but, theres a thread here about it...

https://www.thcfarmer.com/community/threads/air-layering-cloning-w-out-fing-up-your-numbers.36215/

I use root riot cubes.

Mix up some Great White & squeeze the cubes to get them loaded with the Great White. The cubes should be wet, but not soaked.

That's all you need to do. I just did about 50 cuts this way & every one of them rooted in about a week. I can't take the credit for the simplicity, people here pointed out that you don't need all the expensive cloning products. What I described above will work fine.

Edit** The best money you could spend at the store for your stuff would be to avoid products (except for the peet plugs)...you need gear...one of these...
http://www.amazon.com/HydroDynamics...F8&qid=1452273087&sr=8-80&keywords=clone+tray

http://www.amazon.com/Hydrofarm-CK6...TF8&qid=1452273208&sr=8-1&keywords=clone+tray

Get the tall dome, but not the above one. Get the dome that has the track for the T5 light (you want the light too) This is a picture of what you want for the dome & light

So, to do it best, i would grab peet plugs, a heating mat, the tray, the insert to hold the cubes (unless it's built into the tray) the dome with adjustable vents & a track to hold the T5, & the T5 figure & bulb. It will probably set you back $50-$65 or so, but it's well worth it.

You might think that's too much $, you don't need all that space etc. Get the bigger tray & dome, you will use it, & it's a nice rig. You could spend less, but this is the best way to spend that money.

I dislike the root riots... the hole is to small and knocks off your IBA powder as you insert the cutting... wife drug me home some of those when the local joint switched vendors. I prefer rapid rooters (which have too big of a hole)... but I tear one corner off and stuff the excess hole... the IBA getting all up inside the rapid rooters seems to give quicker success.. although the root riots worked just fine for me, everything seemed quite slower to root than usual... as for the dome with the light, thats a nice little kit... I personally have a cheap 20" T5 from home depot hanging from the ceiling on shoestrings that I slide 2 domes under...

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
gravekat303

gravekat303

Premium Member
Supporter
I prefer to root in rock wool or straight dirt I use some cheep as powder from.home depot it cost like 3 bucks I cut my clone with scissors then make a final 45degree cut with a razor and dip in powder then I put that bish in my medium and under a dome with a heating pad in get like 99%success every time usually in like 7 to 10 days

Junk

Junk

now its just a poop soup in a makeshift cow stomach....
Yummy lol
I dislike the root riots... the hole is to small and knocks off your IBA powder as you insert the cutting...
I can't disagree with you there. I have to take a barbecue type skewer & open up all the holes first.

I've never tried any of the other ones, it's just what my shop carries. From what I've read, aside from the physical aspects you just mentioned, they are all comparable. So I'd just grab whatever looks best. @THCdurk when I say Root Riot, I just mean peat plugs. The brand name Root Riot (from my reading) is not important.

I DO prefer peet over rock wool cubes. Unless you are buying in large quantities they are cheaper, & find them easy to use.

Junk

Junk

Do you think spectrum has much effect on cloning?
Or do you just go with whatever's in stock
I'm sure there is some data somewhere that quantifies which is a better cloning spectrum, but when it comes down to it, almost any light will work.

Top Bottom