Tnelz thread about whatever!

• Thread starter Tnelz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MGRox

MGRox

Promix and just started feeding nftg
ok cool. Ye promix can be buffered a little high for some plants starting out. While research has shown that roots beneficially will root into areas of soil containing Ca vs not; they still have to produce both root hairs and exudates into these new areas. In order for efficient uptake, that is (e.g. P and Fe).
The EC of pro-mix is low enough that one could feed a bit when up potting (don't over water of course). One could, go into feeding right off and can even leave out Ca the first few feedings. Edit: also can run a little lower pH for first few feedings (i.e. 5.6 hydro , 6.0 soil)

@NaturalTherapy Ty for the info there. Do you consider the Fat Flowers to be pretty readily available then? I see that bio boost says "fermented plant extracts"......so that's either alfalfa or kelp right? Have you ever tried Calcium Montmorillonite en lieu of Azomite?

NaturalTherapy

NaturalTherapy

Lighthouse
Supporter
@NaturalTherapy Ty for the info there. Do you consider the Fat Flowers to be pretty readily available then? I see that bio boost says "fermented plant extracts"......so that's either alfalfa or kelp right? Have you ever tried Calcium Montmorillonite en lieu of Azomite?

I'll have to read up on that clay since I'm only now learning of it.

Since Bio boost is a flowering agent I'd rule out alfalfa, though kelp is a likely additive. A top quality grower recommended it highly, said a grower he regards highly uses only one bottled additive to his regimen in his organic garden, bio boost. So I tried it. Very clear boost in essential oil production and increased aromatics. But a natural boost- one that makes every plant smell like it already does, just more, and not something that makes every plant have a similar aspect to the smell/flavor.

The DEM product is quite fast acting for an organic nutrient. Noticeable positive shift in aromatics and density within 2 days of application.

Lazerus00

Lazerus00

@Growin Grass what's your medium? you organic or nutes?
@Lazerus00 xD. yea @SeaF0ur had mentioned, I believe, the yogurt cup challenge also. I did snoop through those, I believe the highest for (one of the small challenges), was in the 40gm range, if not 50's.
With your recent seedlings, did you ever dome them? Did you sprout them in a medium? What type of medium did they first go into?
@BlackSheepOG I saw you mention in another thread (and I think you did here earlier) about a test at home. Had to snoop a bit through pm pages with a friend, but >> http://www.thctestkits.com/ (not tried them but I understand them to be decent).
@NaturalTherapy Looks great! The fading on that for organic looks pretty dialed in. Do you plain water the whole run or what?
I sprouted them like always in a rapid rooter peat plug and then they went straight in a solo cup with an amended promix living soil

MGRox

MGRox

Ty NT for the further info. I still try to keep up on organic stuff, for if I try it out sometime.

@Lazerus00 shoot. I was pretty sure you had all your ducks in a row with sprouting and that seems to be the case.

SeaF0ur

SeaF0ur

Khalisi x Sour Bubble
View attachment 570655

Grease Monkey
These I uppotted twice to get to the 1 gal bag and have noticed significantly less growth and a little stress induced def maybe
View attachment 570656

those my K x SB's or did they come from Hatch?

I'll have to read up on that clay since I'm only now learning of it.

Since Bio boost is a flowering agent I'd rule out alfalfa, though kelp is a likely additive. A top quality grower recommended it highly, said a grower he regards highly uses only one bottled additive to his regimen in his organic garden, bio boost. So I tried it. Very clear boost in essential oil production and increased aromatics. But a natural boost- one that makes every plant smell like it already does, just more, and not something that makes every plant have a similar aspect to the smell/flavor.

The DEM product is quite fast acting for an organic nutrient. Noticeable positive shift in aromatics and density within 2 days of application.

Same as bentonite really.... something like a teaspoon has the surface area as a football field, so its a MAJOR booster of CEC.... I get it locally when I dig a hole.... otherwise, its a clay I would buy... used often, its most cheaply obtained from a pottery supply store or a cosmetic supply....

WARNING: this is the same "mud" that rich ladies spread on their face.... so some sources are quite proud of their prices...

these guys do 50 lbs for $32.30
http://www.bulkapothecary.com/raw-ingredients/clays/bentonite-clay/

NaturalTherapy

NaturalTherapy

Lighthouse
Supporter
@SeaF0ur
I'm familiar with bentonite to the extant that I know the land my house was built on has advantageously low amounts of bentonite for our region, and the house has another few decades of relatively stress free occupancy left as a direct result. I'd heard of people eating it, but didn't realize it was the same stuff.

Growin Grass

Growin Grass

My buddy did some opposite... only he used a sour bubble female & a khalisi male
@SeaF0ur what's up with the sour bubble male anyway, seems pretty popular, not trying to bash your choice at all, good things are popular for a reason
Yeah one seed out of six was a dud and the other five are all surprisingly uniform so far

gravekat303

gravekat303

Premium Member
Supporter
well, hell... I got some of both if you wanna try.
All I'd ask is that you make more and put em back in my bucket later...
I would love to but I have a little more than I can chew atm thanks tho I'm just taking it easy because I'm going away for a week so I have limited time and space

SeaF0ur

SeaF0ur

@SeaF0ur what's up with the sour bubble male anyway, seems pretty popular, not trying to bash your choice at all, good things are popular for a reason
Yeah one seed out of six was a dud and the other five are all surprisingly uniform so far

Well... he takes being rootbound, under/overwatered and cold stress without tossing a hair... he's got good structure in both branch and flower cluster, and he's a fine frosty fella...

15702626227 111c64e4a1 b
15886401921 b314f415e0 b

MGRox

MGRox

Same as bentonite really.... something like a teaspoon has the surface area as a football field, so its a MAJOR booster of CEC.... I get it locally when I dig a hole.... otherwise, its a clay I would buy... used often, its most cheaply obtained from a pottery supply store or a cosmetic supply....
Suppose I should try and expound on this a bit. I did quite a bit of research into the bentonite clays back in the late 90's as we used them in reefs.
http://www.eytonsearth.org/bentonite-montmorillonite.php
"Bentonite is a name given to a particular clay that was originally found in Fort Benton, Eastern Wyoming. The name was given by W.C. Knight in 1898."
"Geologists often describe bentonite as a clay mineral containing Montmorillonite, which poses a rather curious problem, as Montmorillonite is a name of a particular clay that was discovered in Montmorillon, France, named by Mauduyt in 1847."
""The name montmorillonite is used currently both as a group name for all clay minerals with an expanding lattice, except vermiculite, and also as specific mineral name."

Ok. So, Bentonite (as commonly used) "contains" montmorillonite but is not the same thing. Azomite is not a bentonite nor a montmorillonite. The key thing to remember though is that bentonite and montmorillonite are typically applied as "bulk" terms and NOT specific to each clay type. Azomite contains a large percent of the weight as silica. Many bentonites have a high percentage as sodium.

It's only the most purified // highest grade of montmorillonite that is primarily Calcium based. All of these will be listed as such, since it demands a premium in all markets.

The cheapest and most common form of "bentonite" is sodium bentonite. This is used from sealing of radioactive waste, to plasters, to lining ponds sealing them for water. Guess my fathers construction company used this often and ordered it by the ton.

-One less known property of Montmorillonite clays is that they have an overall net negative charge. This in part is why you see them used in bodily applications. (as well the mineral content of course) In soils they serve to attract Cations with a greater affinity than would an inert particle (e.g. no net charge). Cumulatively the surface area and charge contribute to the high CEC value associated with montmorillonites and to a lesser degree bentonites.

-Another little known aspect of montmorillonites is that they can actually alter the charge of an adsorbed cation. There is no other component (that I'm aware of besides electrolysis) that can do this.

So there are many varieties, compositions and grades of these bentonites. Be sure to look for the one that will suit best for the application. Back with reefs, we could not use Silica or Sodium based clays; so we had to stick with Ca based montmorillonites. The one that gave the most positive results with SPS corals; is probably the only I would choose today.

Personally I would look at clays that are approved for human consumption. At least that will eliminate the "wild claims" many mfgs package with low grade clays. The brand I prefer is Approved for human consumption, has been tested by several universities and has been approved and used by NASA to prevent bone loss in space. That should make finding it easy as there's only one.

Edit: just was spilling random useless info. Not intended to be specifically directed at you Sea.

Last edited:
Top Bottom