Tobacco Mosaic Virus

• Thread starter 1.6perlight
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
chinqlinq

chinqlinq

But what about testing for other mosaic viruses? Because what he's shown looks a lot like a mosaic virus to me.

@AJ420brooks -- try giving them a push of Ca. I've read others saying they've eliminated the expression (mosaic viruses can be passed down through seed) by upping the Cal-Mag, but I hesitate to use that term or suggest upping that combination. Also, there are some lines that are now known to have this trait, IIRC some of the Chem lines have it going on.

If it helps at all I saw this mutation/appearance in a few different strains dating back 2-4 years ago and it was on 3 strains, all 'coincidentally' all Chem crosses. But just recently I popped a few seeds of The White and White Fire from Raskals and they both have this tie-dye leaf mutation, more so in The White.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Funny you should mention that! Back when I still had a cut of her, during one run, ONE time only, some cuts showed it as well. And it just so happened that I had a Chemdog D batch running at the same time, only a couple of which showed it but still. AND there were some cuts from a cross from a friend of mine, I'd grown out the mother from seed and made many cuts and grown those out, they never showed it, but that ONE run, along with The White and the Chemdog D (can't remember which one, I think '91?), ONE cut showed it as well.

Wanna know what else? I have a chronic issue with fungus gnats in my home. I have no idea how to tie any of this together, but it does make me scratch my head and go, "Hmmm..."

oscar169

oscar169

Farming 🌱
Supporter
Funny you should mention that! Back when I still had a cut of her, during one run, ONE time only, some cuts showed it as well. And it just so happened that I had a Chemdog D batch running at the same time, only a couple of which showed it but still. AND there were some cuts from a cross from a friend of mine, I'd grown out the mother from seed and made many cuts and grown those out, they never showed it, but that ONE run, along with The White and the Chemdog D (can't remember which one, I think '91?), ONE cut showed it as well.

Wanna know what else? I have a chronic issue with fungus gnats in my home. I have no idea how to tie any of this together, but it does make me scratch my head and go, "Hmmm..."
Oh I hate the Fungus Gnat..:mad:

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
They destroyed 3 grocery bags stuffed FULL of iris rhizomes my mother had collected from her home before they sold it. Complete and total destruction, left for two weeks sitting on my garage floor.

Coir

Coir

I have a wifi I just grew out from seed and one of the cuttings I took from it has a single leaf that has this same issue. I'm not worried about it though as it does not seem to be causing any issues.
On a side note, I have seen this same thing happen with an occasional tomato plant. Sometimes they recover from it, other times it continues and I simply remove them. When you grow thousands and thousands of plants, you end up seeing just about every possible genetic mutation that can occur. Thankfully I have never had an entire crop affected by something like TMV!

chinqlinq

chinqlinq

This is one of the first clones off my White S1 mothers that I was talking about. All is good and healthy 7 weeks into flower, just threw me off with the discoloration.

Anyone know why this is consistent with OG Raskal's stuff?

20140626 201433
20140626 201709
cannarado

cannarado

Premium Member
Supporter
^^^ B/c the white can hold that mosaic trait. He used it for his fems thus spread it to the progeny

oscar169

oscar169

Farming 🌱
Supporter
@Seamaiden Did you ever have a plant show theses signs, that everyone here including myself have posted pics of ?

wonka

wonka

out of 3 white / 97 bubblegum by rascal I have 1 that is showing that leaf pattern! about to take cuts, so will that spread to other cuts when I put them in the cloner?

richieric

richieric

Is this t.m.v. I've looked for days on multiple forums and nothing. I found a pic on googled that led me to this thread so I joined in hopes that one of u have the knowledge and patience to help me understand this and what my best option is. 1000 thank you in advance. May love light and an abundance of peace be provided to u and all your loved ones.
Is this t.m.v. I've looked for days on multiple forums and nothing. I found a pic on googled that led me to this thread so I joined in hopes that one of u have the knowledge and patience to help me understand this and what my best option is. 1000 thank you in advance. May love light and an abundance of peace be provided to u and all your loved ones.

Have you grown any R4/Charlotte's Web? I will tell you this, we have and your leaves gives me confidence in saying it is Hemp Mosaic Virus...It spreads to other plants by touch/infected scissors/etc....

T

toquer

Think I have been battling this. Got new clones, didn't destroy a wooden table and used it for transplant. A week later I have this.1410631691987 1410631717365 1410631742536
Twisted growth on the node below the apical, mosaic pattern on older leaves, allowed growth. Other cuts are fine, for now.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
@Seamaiden Did you ever have a plant show theses signs, that everyone here including myself have posted pics of ?
Yes. One was a cut of The White, I'd had her for a couple of years and then one particular run, one particular cut showed that mosaic pattern with some whitening, and the twisting towards the mosaiced side. Same run, cuts from a seed start that IIRC included NYSD in its genetics. Mother plant never showed symptoms, two cuts during that one run did. Never showed again, then I lost Mother Plant to root aphids, which also took my cut of White, and a few other choice ladies I'll miss.

B

budfarmer

Just so everybody knows I followed the Tabaco growers recommendations and washed my seeds last night in 10% TSP solution for 15 minutes to kill TMV and anything else that cares to attach it's self to my seeds, I was a little concerned this might kill my seeds also. Oddly this morning looking at the seeds that soaked over night in fresh water I seem to have a higher than normal germ rate rather than a bunch of dead seeds ! In all honesty I really expected to see like a 20% germ rate after the TSP wash but at first look over it looks like 85%. Some industries using this method also wash after the TSP in 10% bleach for a shorter period of time but I thought I just might be pushing my luck and the Tabaco growers seem to use TSP only so why take the chance on your first try. Also when you throw the seeds into the TSP wash and they look fairly clean you may notice after a while a bunch of dead organic material hanging off the seeds when they are floating around in the TSP wash but that didn't seem to hurt anything, probably a good idea if this pans out to wash your seeds before germing.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
TSP...? The stuff I used to have to wash the walls down with before my mom would wallpaper or paint? Trisodium phosphate TSP? If so... ---> :o

B

budfarmer

Yes Home Depot TSP less than $3.00 for a small carton of TSP crystals, the Tamato people also use it for washing seed so far so good. The tamato growers follow the 10% TSP wash with 10% bleach wash but I chickened out on the bleach wash I didn't want to push my luck. If this pans out I would suggest people make this a standard part of their germ procedure when germing seeds that originated who knows where ? why take the chance on introducing some fucked up disease into your farm ? I have been trying to fight off a real nasty disease that seems to be in the plant roots causing nutrient deficiencies which I have been trying to correct to no avail not realizing the food is there but the plant can't take up the food because the diseased plant roots can't do it affectively. This disease has been screwing me up for 2 years since I ordered Black seeds from a company and god only knows where the seeds originated.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I've used bleach plenty of times, never a problem (unless I spill it, kinda like using Floranova Bloom, or fish emulsion, or one of the worst ferts I've ever smelled--organic liquid bone meal). I have a paper that shows using milk along with quats is good for virus vector control via tools in the GH, too. Never would have occurred to me to try TSP, though. I can still smell it!

B

Bigbuds27

*****HELP*****

DO NOT NO WHAT THIS IS:-

The strain is called the doctor by greenhouse seeds.problem started wk 2 veg. The closet thing I found to cause it is TMV. Don't no weather to just pull them (2) and get some beans germed to replace before I get to far ahead (roughly wk4 veg), just got topped too.
Thanks

20140928 093340
20140928 093359
20140928 093407
20140926 125936
20140920 144347
20140913 192542
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Wow! Mosaic virus or sports (think: variegation, curly leaves, that sort of thing in house plants).

T

toquer

Any leaf curling? Like 90° right or left from the center of the leaf? Not the entire leaf but one or two of the leaflets? Looks like tmv for certain. Some strains continue just fine, others slow down tremendously, some aren't effected at all. I live with it. It's in the grow op and I doubt I can rid it any way. I picked up 50 clones, less than half of them contracted it. Good luck!

Top Bottom