tobh goes swimming Dutch style

• Thread starter tobh
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
tobh

tobh

Supporter
how do you like the dutch bucket system tobh
If I hadn't vegged for so damn long, it'd be great. I also fucked up the implementation of the design without realizing it (overlooked detail), so this run was educational to say the least. I 100% intend on running a wall of them in the hoop house I'll be building in the next few weeks to grow cucumbers and peppers outside.

Basic concept, cheap to build, easy to maintain, not completely removed from DTW style of coco growing, and overall totally satisfied with the performance.

So much so, I'm split between scaling the current system up to four buckets for next run, and continuing with this style in the tent for another run while I put together a UC setup. There are a lot of design flaws in my current configuration that have made this run less than ideal. I think resolving those issues (two more sites, lower to the ground, res outside of the tent, outboard pump(s), rocks instead of hydroton) and it'd run tits. Half the veg time (at least, maybe even cut it by 3/4) and more yield, faster.

PpmOver9000

PpmOver9000

Always been curious about running a dehu outside of a tent and having it intake the air. Wasn't that effective I guess?

PK1

PK1

Supporter
If I hadn't vegged for so damn long, it'd be great. I also fucked up the implementation of the design without realizing it (overlooked detail), so this run was educational to say the least. I 100% intend on running a wall of them in the hoop house I'll be building in the next few weeks to grow cucumbers and peppers outside.

Basic concept, cheap to build, easy to maintain, not completely removed from DTW style of coco growing, and overall totally satisfied with the performance.

So much so, I'm split between scaling the current system up to four buckets for next run, and continuing with this style in the tent for another run while I put together a UC setup. There are a lot of design flaws in my current configuration that have made this run less than ideal. I think resolving those issues (two more sites, lower to the ground, res outside of the tent, outboard pump(s), rocks instead of hydroton) and it'd run tits. Half the veg time (at least, maybe even cut it by 3/4) and more yield, faster.
make sure to dig a hole for the rez so its sitting inside the ground. that should help with the temps

tobh

tobh

Supporter
Always been curious about running a dehu outside of a tent and having it intake the air. Wasn't that effective I guess?
It was, but not as effective as I wanted. It's a tradeoff I'm realizing now that lights are out. Temps haven't dropped, humidity has. Within an hour of it being in the tent it also raised temps. I'll let it ride in the tent for a couple days, and might pull it back out and run it just in the room the tent's in. I can deal with heat, to an extent. But, my infrared thermometer read the grill the air was coming out of the dehu at 110F, so that's 30F more than tent temp being pumped right into it. I can eat 60% RH in the tent with 30% outside and 82F in the tent better than I can eat 50%RH and 90F in the tent.

tobh

tobh

Supporter
make sure to dig a hole for the rez so its sitting inside the ground. that should help with the temps
That's actually the plan. Though, the guy on YouTube I ripped this style from runs his res above ground in a greenhouse. With the right measures, res temps don't really matter that much. Show me a commercial hydro grower (mass scale vegetables) that gives two shits what the water temp is.

PK1

PK1

Supporter
lol, i gotta spray the freaking walls just to stay at 40%RH right now. temps are stale at 80f and with the new light im having issues to get the water temp below 82f. lol, the constant battle of environment. you gotta love it

PK1

PK1

Supporter
That's actually the plan. Though, the guy on YouTube I ripped this style from runs his res above ground in a greenhouse. With the right measures, res temps don't really matter that much. Show me a commercial hydro grower (mass scale vegetables) that gives two shits what the water temp is.
i am so freaking lost on the temps on the rez. I thought the micros and bacteria would need a chiller water

tobh

tobh

Supporter
lol, i gotta spray the freaking walls just to stay at 40%RH right now. temps are stale at 80f and with the new light im having issues to get the water temp below 82f. lol, the constant battle of environment. you gotta love it
Fuck man, I gave up on res temps. Fuckem. Ride at 81-82F. idc anymore lol. I have enzymes and hydroguard, which makes my pH go all fucky when I apply it. But, I'm sure I don't have root rot!

tobh

tobh

Supporter
i am so freaking lost on the temps on the rez. I thought the micros and bacteria would need a chiller water
Not necessarily. The biggest reason for keeping res temps lower is because of dissolved oxygen levels. Bacteria also bloom in higher temps. They go into a feeding/reproductive cycle that will throw your pH all over the place (ask me how I know lol). Enzymes don't give a shit about temps, nor do anything else. They're inert, not living. Lower temps also prevent pathogens from taking hold in the absence of other preventatives.

PK1

PK1

Supporter
This is the guy I pulled the idea from
lol, thats the video i saw that got me interested in the dutch bucket system. However, i was thinking of using hydromedia vs perlite. 2nd thing was that i would put my media in a net vs lost in the bucket. i think having it in a net would be better.

PK1

PK1

Supporter
Fuck man, I gave up on res temps. Fuckem. Ride at 81-82F. idc anymore lol. I have enzymes and hydroguard, which makes my pH go all fucky when I apply it. But, I'm sure I don't have root rot!
love my acid. water ph only changes when i fill up the rez with more water. even then it doesn't jump to much.
i don't like concentrated material. rather have the main ingredient and then add my own water. lol!

tobh

tobh

Supporter
lol, thats the video i saw that got me interested in the dutch bucket system. However, i was thinking of using hydromedia vs perlite. 2nd thing was that i would put my media in a net vs lost in the bucket. i think having it in a net would be better.
I used hydroton instead, and I lined the sites with paint strainer bags. Super fine mesh, highly durable bags with elastic tops. The one benefit I see from them is the fact that come harvest, I can zip tie them shut and pull the entire root ball, media and all, with no mess.

If you build some make sure you do it right. I fucked up. Give me a minute to draw an illustration of how i fucked up and how it's supposed to be done (took a LOT of googling to figure this one out).

tobh

tobh

Supporter
love my acid. water ph only changes when i fill up the rez with more water. even then it doesn't jump to much.
i don't like concentrated material. rather have the main ingredient and then add my own water. lol!
Likewise. My pH up is my tap water. With how much the girls drink at this point, I'm replacing 3 gallons every other day. pH drops, ppms drop, and water drops.

Reactions: PK1
PK1

PK1

Supporter
ya, currently im at half gallon every 3 days lol. i think that's only because i have different stage of plants in there so my light is at higher levels. Not so good for the dwc girl but all other seedlings and clones are loving it. I'm just being cheap and not turning the light on in the tent.

tobh

tobh

Supporter
The biggest flaw in my setup is not having the additional 90* fitting inside the bucket. I can only assume this prevents the roots from growing into the drain like I've been fighting due to my super long veg time.

PXL 20210114 042929615

PK1

PK1

Supporter
ya, i noticed few growers did it how it should be. Majority have it like how you have it currently.
Definitely helps with the roots not plugging the hole

Top Bottom