Transplant before mainline training?

• Thread starter StalkerAF
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
StalkerAF

StalkerAF

Should I transplant into the final pot first or should I begin some training, let them recover and transplant in the next 2-3 weeks? Don’t won’t to over stress the plants so it makes sense to me to transplant first then train. Pants are currently in a 5” coco husk pot week 4 and didn’t expect them to start growing so quickly. Must be happy!
Transplant before mainline training

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
How tall do you want them to be before you flower? How many leaf sets do you want to see? And about how tall do you want them to be at harvest? You can kind of work back from there. It seems like you might be training them a little early. I would transplant and let them take hold first, (10 days?) then look to train......and it seems like you might want to flower pretty soon after that......maybe another 10 days? Give or take, depending on your goal. But I can see a problem if you train too soon after transplanting......the roots may pull and tear as they're just beginning to get used to the transplant....

So I see you've transplanted..... ;) . And did you fully top them like after 3 leaf sets?

You'll see how things go. It'll be interesting.

And what's with the old stem of what looks like an already harvested plant?

StalkerAF

StalkerAF

All great feedback and questions, much appreciated. Heres better better up date.

I did transplant as you noticed and waited until they grew to 6 nodes and cut at the 3rd node. Clones the tops and giving to a friend…seems to still be alive.

I will be moving the 3 plants to a different room after initial training but overall no more than 3ft high total, under 3 would be better.

Time line has been 48 hours since the topping and light stress training. It appears to be close to the 3rd node growing outwards and that the size I’m going for. Trying not to cram the grow space by growing to much further outwards. And I do need to watch my height because using a possibly overpowering light setup of course. I use an app to help monitor ppf levels and also have co2 supplement in the 4x4x8ish room. The training tent I’m currently using in mellow and a 2x2 space.

C15CFC4A D2AA 4158 A020 3E5F8C416BB7
09AD9483 E78F 4AA8 9932 F919A0473CCB
D6FBBEFE 607D 4865 8256 5BC95FE2F6D6
DF56EA22 E2E0 41B3 8640 515BAACF5655
StalkerAF

StalkerAF

How much water you giving those bad boys?
Honestly not much, two watering since the transplant. I am attempting to use dry amendments for nutrients and pretty sure I miss one to two watering cycles

ev.dawgy

ev.dawgy

Great start for the mainlining.

How many branches are we going with per plant? If you are going for 4 you can already top them again.

No need to transplant right away, but it's better that you did. Get those plants in their forever pot as soon as possible and they will green up and stay green easier.

Ponky

Ponky

Honestly not much, two watering since the transplant. I am attempting to use dry amendments for nutrients and pretty sure I miss one to two watering cycles
They look a bit dry. They should be 100% saturated during watering.

StalkerAF

StalkerAF

Great start for the mainlining.

How many branches are we going with per plant? If you are going for 4 you can already top them again.

No need to transplant right away, but it's better that you did. Get those plants in their forever pot as soon as possible and they will green up and stay green easier.
Thanks Ponky.
I was wondering if I should top them again that soon but yeah I don’t want any more than 4 so I will look into topping again.

StalkerAF

StalkerAF

They look a bit dry. They should be 100% saturated during watering.
Property watering seems to be more difficult than I thought. Trying my best to not over water and to prevent potential root rot but yeah like I said, pretty sure I missed an important watering session because of that.

Went almost 14 days without watering but the plants showed no signs of needing watering. I was trying to see how long before they showed any signs of watering needs. With the dry top dressing, pretty’s sure I messed up there. Alway learning

Ponky

Ponky

Water the media until consistently satured. Water pouring out the bottom. Then when it's only damp not dry you Water again. It should be in a state where it immediately starts wicking up the water. If too dry or not evenly saturated you'll damage the roots. Moist and warm in veg. It's not how much. It's when.

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
Property watering seems to be more difficult than I thought. Trying my best to not over water and to prevent potential root rot but yeah like I said, pretty sure I missed an important watering session because of that.

Went almost 14 days without watering but the plants showed no signs of needing watering. I was trying to see how long before they showed any signs of watering needs. With the dry top dressing, pretty’s sure I messed up there. Alway learning
You want to let the pots dry out then thoroughly water.....but not get so dry that it creates bone dry pockets that become hard to penetrate, by both water and roots. When you water it shpuld be thorough, but not overly soaked.....

StalkerAF

StalkerAF

Water the media until consistently satured. Water pouring out the bottom. Then when it's only damp not dry you Water again. It should be in a state where it immediately starts wicking up the water. If too dry or not evenly saturated you'll damage the roots. Moist and warm in veg. It's not how much. It's when.
Understood. I will rethink my previous methods. Thank you

StalkerAF

StalkerAF

You want to let the pots dry out then thoroughly water.....but not get so dry that it creates bone dry pockets that become hard to penetrate, by both water and roots. When you water it shpuld be thorough, but not overly soaked.....
Understood. Does using dry top dressing nutrients affect this at all?

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
Understood. Does using dry top dressing nutrients affect this at all?
I don't know what you mean by dry top dressing nutrients. If you mean like, peat moss, manure, worm castings, blood meal....it's hard to add those to soil after transplanting, you can slowly add little bits and let them work their way down over time, but you have limited space on top to do this, you don't want to bury the stems deeper and deeper.....but when you're first building your soil, a certain amount of all of these things mixed in......plus perlite, vermiculite, coco coir......compost if you have it....will build a very nice, rich soil that won't require feeding for quite some time.

If you mean solid or liquid nutrients, I wouldn't mix that in with your soil, it could be too much when plants are young, it could burn them.

After the plants are bigger and they use a lot of the nutrients from the soil itself, you can start slowly feeding........better to underdo it at first. You can always add more, you can't add less....

In veg, that usually means pale, yellowing leaves starting at the bottom. Feed higher nitrogen. In flowering you want to reduce the nitrogen and increase Phosphorus and Calcium, as well as secondary nutrients, Magnesium, etc.

Too much food can be toxic, and throw the Ph off. Let the plants guide you.

D

Deaner

Thanks Ponky.
I was wondering if I should top them again that soon but yeah I don’t want any more than 4 so I will look into topping again.
Hi
I'm following. I took my wedding crasher feminized to 8 colas, great harvest. First attempt, following this info.

Choppr

Choppr

Your mainlining looks good, its good you left a stump so she doesnt split later, I always wait 2 nodes for the second topping, also noticed you started in cowpots I would not recommend this as the roots penetrate the pot and youll be tearing roots at Transplant, solo's or nursery pots are easy on you and the plants, they slide right out and wont even know theyve been moved...(ie autos, I've myth busted this "no transplant myth" years ago) You have a good start, If You have good seed they will bounce back quickly - rock-on !

Top Bottom