• Start date
  • Tagged users None
Oregon Panda

Oregon Panda

Hey there. Trees outside up north here.

Lets gro bigger next time

Roseburg farm

They look great

I've got alot to live up to. Lets see how I can do this year... (Feel free to join in where ever in the world you sit.)

Trees on the 45th 4
Trees on the 45th 5

Trees on the 45th 6

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
Awesome Garden Photos Panda!:woot:

Your going directly in the ground this year?
No big grow bags this year? I think im doing those next year...

Oregon Panda

Oregon Panda

Your going directly in the ground this year?
No big grow bags this year? I think im doing those next year...

The lovely lady in the 2011 photo sewed a number of burlap coffee bags to make me some bottomless 300 gal pots. I will take some better pics later today and up em. The property I'm on this year was a fallow field, there was at one point a gravel driveway and it prevented me from just putting all my plants in the ground. So some are in bags.

Oregon Panda

Oregon Panda

The plant on the right in this image was suffering from some sort of malady.
DSC00483

As demonstrated here:
DSC00506
DSC00504

+epsom and a couple days or so... who's counting? (Its on the left now):
DSC00531

Its back on track, happy and healthy.

Against my better judgment, I applied it to everything assuming that mag was missing from the mix.
I think the plant on the right had its fill and then some. It'll be alright:
DSC00529

DSC00530

Oregon Panda

Oregon Panda

Ant related branch breaks? lol Never had that problem before.

My lady friend told me to try petroleum jelly in a thick ring around the stem.
Stopped them dead in their tracks. We'll not dead, but they went elsewhere.

DSC00564
DSC00566
DSC00567

lil bastards

vaporedout

vaporedout

yeah i have to put Vaseline on my rod :) that holds the hummingbird feeder, otherwise those fuckers will get all up in the feeder. ive seen ants on my buckets this year, i put out terro drops, and it kills em dead

Oregon Panda

Oregon Panda

Or this one? Maybe it wasnt ants? I dont know if remaining ants on the tree cut this one down to make a new path, or if it fell on its own and they decided it was business as usual...

DSC00570
Oregon Panda

Oregon Panda

Everything else is doing cool.
I have 1 plant that is a little ambiguous about showing its sex. Seamaiden told me about this 6th or 8th node on seedlings. When I looked at the time I just assumed that it had pistils so everything was cool, the males stuck out like a sore thumb and I got rid of em quick. Now everything but the plant on the right there has defined calyxes. So what i was looking at initially was not a calyx with a hair, rather just a hair? I wish I could get a close up picture of it. Its just too damn mysterious.
DSC00573

All else is grand.
DSC00574

Oregon Panda

Oregon Panda

I almost guarantee that is what it is, it isn't the ants doing that

So I've studied and I dont think thats what it is. Not that I don't respect your opinion, but the desciption doesnt match the symptom. If you google image search Hemp canker it doesnt look anything like my plants.

There are no cankers first of all. There is no mycelium coat. There are no watery lesions.

So my question is: How did you come to be so certain of that diagnosis to guarantee it? I'm really not into taking action against something that isnt there.

There must be other plausable causes.

SunGrown

SunGrown

I could be wrong, but from the look of the brown where it broke is what I see being the issue. Others helped me id this problem before. It usually doesn't do much to the health of the plant in general, but can. Typically it only happens to bottom branches. They will just wilt and then if you give it a good tug it will easily pull away from the main stalk.

Oregon Panda

Oregon Panda

Thats what is so weird about the ants. There are ants on the trees, craling around up and down. The only interaction I've monitored is when they were gathering around the freshly broken branch. Otherwise it just seems like they are wasting their time.

There are aphids elsewhere on the property. On milkweed, thistle, and dandelion. As has always been the case, they have always prefered these over my pot. I only come to this conclusion because I've never had a problem with them.

This is the most ants I've seen interacting with my plants. Since I've seen them I've been on the lookout for aphids, due to warnings time and time again from wise folks such as yourself.

Do all ants farm aphids? Do all aphids like pot? Where I'm at there are not the usual red and black ants. There are tiny sugar ants as small or smaller than an aphid, and carpenter ants which focus more on rotten wood.

Top Bottom