Tricking plants into thinking there's an insect infestation, can it be done, and how...

• Thread starter Frankster
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
When I've had mites in the past, I'll have to admit, it was certainly some of the most dank, and special weed I've smoked over the years. Especially when I've had mites, and been able to successfully overcome them, by sheer nutrition, and general health. That said, I'm not eager to return to those days, but it get's me to thinking. What can be done... Obviously, the plants were aware of the onslaught, and were mounting a response. Especially during the flowering intervals.

So, I'm kind of intrigued by signaling hormones, precursors, enzymatic responses and other various means of inducing targeted signals to the plant. Wondering if anyone else out there has used any techniques in the past that are successful.

Please share anything you might have, or even your hypothesis on this subject. Putting some bugs up, since it's a "response" to bug thread...

CurtisBlow916

CurtisBlow916

If heard of this and I’m interested in what others have to say.. From what I’ve read I think mites are actually the best type of pest to get, if you have to pick your poison. 😂

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
If heard of this and I’m interested in what others have to say.. From what I’ve read I think mites are actually the best type of pest to get, if you have to pick your poison. 😂
Yea, I would tend to agree. Especially if your not talking broad/russet mites. Seems like even when I had some phytoseiulus persimilis and Amblyesius swirskii, (beneficial predatory mites) I was still producing much more sticky/tighter buds, so It makes me wonder if there's some some biological role at play here, that can be induced upon the plant.

CurtisBlow916

CurtisBlow916

Yea, I would tend to agree. Especially if your not talking broad/russet mites. Seems like even when I had some phytoseiulus persimilis and Amblyesius swirskii, (beneficial predatory mites) I was still producing much more sticky/tighter buds, so It makes me wonder if there's some some biological role at play here, that can be induced upon the plant.
Woooow.. So basically any type of pest in the medium would trigger a reaction, CRAZY. Makes me wonder about insect frass, I know it has a way of tricking the plant into defending itself against pest that aren’t actually there so who knows 🤷🏾‍♂️

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
Woooow.. So basically any type of pest in the medium would trigger a reaction, CRAZY. Makes me wonder about insect frass, I know it has a way of tricking the plant into defending itself against pest that aren’t actually there so who knows 🤷🏾‍♂️
Yea, that's a novel idea for sure. I'm actually using trelahose, which is a sugar that only insects make. Looks like trelahose is synthesized into trehalose 6-phosphate (t6p) by phosphate.

Trehalose, a sugar found in many species of plants and animals, is a non-reducing disaccharide composed of two glucose moieties. Its synthesis in plants is a two-step process, involving the production of trehalose-6-phosphate (T6P) catalyzed by trehalose-6-phosphate synthase (TPS) and its consecutive dephosphorylation to trehalose, catalyzed by trehalose-6-phosphate phosphatase (TPP). T6P has recently emerged as an important signaling metabolite, regulating carbon assimilation and sugar status in plants. In addition, T6P has also been demonstrated to play an essential role in plant development.

Trehalose is an ancient sugar consisting of two glucose molecules alpha-1,1-linked and thus with no reducing ends. It is one of only two nonreducing sugars found widely in nature, the other being sucrose. In bacteria, fungi, and insects, trehalose functions as a storage carbohydrate and protects against a variety of stresses. In plants, this role has been largely replaced by sucrose, although trehalose does protect against desiccation in certain specialized resurrection plants . Absence or trace amounts of trehalose in most plants precludes a role as a reserve or stress protectant.

CurtisBlow916

CurtisBlow916

Yea, that's a novel idea for sure. I'm actually using trelahose, which is a sugar that only insects make. Looks like trelahose is synthesized into trehalose 6-phosphate (t6p) by phosphate.

Trehalose, a sugar found in many species of plants and animals, is a non-reducing disaccharide composed of two glucose moieties. Its synthesis in plants is a two-step process, involving the production of trehalose-6-phosphate (T6P) catalyzed by trehalose-6-phosphate synthase (TPS) and its consecutive dephosphorylation to trehalose, catalyzed by trehalose-6-phosphate phosphatase (TPP). T6P has recently emerged as an important signaling metabolite, regulating carbon assimilation and sugar status in plants. In addition, T6P has also been demonstrated to play an essential role in plant development.

Trehalose is an ancient sugar consisting of two glucose molecules alpha-1,1-linked and thus with no reducing ends. It is one of only two nonreducing sugars found widely in nature, the other being sucrose. In bacteria, fungi, and insects, trehalose functions as a storage carbohydrate and protects against a variety of stresses. In plants, this role has been largely replaced by sucrose, although trehalose does protect against desiccation in certain specialized resurrection plants . Absence or trace amounts of trehalose in most plants precludes a role as a reserve or stress protectant.
It’s a damn super sugar 😂😂

AZsunfarmer

AZsunfarmer

You could develop an mRNA mite vaccine to trigger the plants immune response. But it would be controversial and the forum would split into 2 different factions of pro/anti mite vaccine. Haha but anything antigenic that is specific to mites I suppose. I think you already mentioned in posts about watering that the dry cycle really stimulates a good stress response. It seems like indoor growing is really about not stressing the plant at all which seems contradictory to your hypothesis. How interesting!

Lynch_Ironside

Lynch_Ironside

very interesting thoughts indeed.
so when the plant is triggered by a pest and activates it’s immune response I assume there’s some specific response to each pathogen. And the response is triggered by Secretions in the pests’ saliva. So maybe there’s a way to synthesize spider mite saliva, or maybe there’s a way to extract whatever chemical compounds are heightened upon an attack from a sick plant, then inject these compounds into a healthy one. I would think you would need a laboratory for this but then again I saw a guy on YouTube extract dna in a shed behind his house. 🤷‍♂️ Full disclosure I read one article on this and that’s the extent of my knowledge, I’ll put a link below.
very cool idea though!

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
You could develop an mRNA mite vaccine to trigger the plants immune response. But it would be controversial and the forum would split into 2 different factions of pro/anti mite vaccine. Haha but anything antigenic that is specific to mites I suppose. I think you already mentioned in posts about watering that the dry cycle really stimulates a good stress response. It seems like indoor growing is really about not stressing the plant at all which seems contradictory to your hypothesis. How interesting!
Yea, I think what's the key takeaway here is that (trehalose) a "bug" blood sugar is likely playing a key role in all of this... It's up taken into the plant and synthesized into trehalose 6-phosphate (t6p), which act's as an on/off switch for the associated stress respones.

I think there might be a dual pathway actually, but there's no question that the plants are picking up cues from bugs.

A procedure developed in 2017 which allows this sugar to be produced, but prior to that, it was exceptionally expensive and was only obtained though milking caterpillars. Now there's a pathway using corn starches.... Trehalose is a disaccharide formed by a 1,1-glycosidic bond between two α-glucose units so it's got a really cool spot in it's core that can transfer metal ions efficiently. This is especially important during flowering, and is key for calcium, phosphate and sulfur uptake. Note the center region where the oxygens have shared electron bonding....

220px Trehalose

AZsunfarmer

AZsunfarmer

I know you are really invested into this prospect. Hopefully you share some data along the way because it’s so novel and fascinating but I understand not sharing too much if your hypothesis are indeed correct!

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
I know you are really invested into this prospect. Hopefully you share some data along the way because it’s so novel and fascinating but I understand not sharing too much if your hypothesis are indeed correct!
Yea, no doubt there's multiple pathways of achieving these things, and there done to one degree to the next. It really is an interesting concept, and I've been picking apart a lot of the chemical process surrounding the flowering period these days, and specifically, for me, the interest is how our plants shift excess sugar production into oil production, and how those pathways are interlinked.

Both the trehalose and Sucrose biosynthesis pathways draw from a pool of core metabolites, from which the carbon skeletons for all cellular components are created. Flux through the trehalose pathway is more than a 1,000-fold lower than that through the Sucrose pathway. Were talking a tiny, tiny bit goes a long, long way.

AnitaBonghitt

AnitaBonghitt

I had a bad spider mite infection with 3 strains from clones. The chemdog did real well ,best its ever done. It looked real bad, the buds were small , but the buzz made it worth the trouble. I think with the chemdog, the worst it looks the better the smoke. I took cuts off the others ,but they just never came back and one even hermed on me.
Could be on to something here Frankster.

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
Just wondering where you locate this information? Looking to read into this.
I've done lots of reading, but you can start here. This is all closely related to how phosphates, tp6, sugar and fatty acid's are replicated. See how t6p forms a circle transcribing sucrose and starches into hexose phosphates.... Off to the side, it's regulating growth, senescence, and ripening also... it's also got mechanisms for enhancing biotic and abiotic stress factors. It's the tale of two sugars.... Trehalose works at 1/100->1000th the quantities that sucrose are present. Although, I've been giving about 1/2 tsp per gal a few times a week now.
Bst 2020 0286c01

View attachment agronomy-10-00969.pdf
Last edited:
Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
This here part is a tightly related subject.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Ever hear of this?:
It tricks the plants into making more trichomes.

Top Bottom