Trouble Finding A Job, I'd Love Some Advice

• Thread starter Kaskadian
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
kevinn

kevinn

My son is in same boat, but without any experience. Graduated with a BS in Biology from a prestigious LAC and cann't even get an interview. All jobs require at least 1 year experience. If you don't have the experience, program screens out your application right away. Quite a dillema, you can not get 1 years experience unless you have 1 years experience.

Kaskadian

Kaskadian

Repairs are what my father does, general machining can be as easy as pushing a green button and comparing the results to a blueprint.

If you told them you were a hard, organized worker with experience in construction and the ability to read a tape measure (I've met WAY too many "machinists" that can't) you'd probably get a call back

Thanks a lot for the suggestion brother! I'll definitely check it out.

One of the best things that happened to me was losing my competitive status. no shit. I was a content govt employee when I got busted in 08 for growing. After the dust cleared and tears dried, I found myself unable to apply at work Id done for others all my life. Ive since started my own business and I wont ever give away my best to another for profit. I started out cutting firewwod and have turned that into a year round odd jobs/labor/nasty job service that works better than any of my carreers did. :) Dont be surprised that "success" will probably ignore your plans, brother.

Thanks for the advice. :) Sometimes we stress the little things more than we should.

My son is in same boat, but without any experience. Graduated with a BS in Biology from a prestigious LAC and cann't even get an interview. All jobs require at least 1 year experience. If you don't have the experience, program screens out your application right away. Quite a dillema, you can not get 1 years experience unless you have 1 years experience.

Exactly, it's ridiculous. I wish your son the best!

Growin Grass

Growin Grass

Thanks a lot for the suggestion brother! I'll definitely check it out.

Best of luck, I definitely had trouble when I decided to get out of CNC (computer controlled) machining and start running old dinosaurs of machines. The people still running conventional machine shops almost never want to invest in training someone. Everyone that knows how to crank a handle is falling apart at the limbs praying they make it a few more years to retirement though. Such a dying trade it's a shame

ByrneBurnham

ByrneBurnham

Congratulations on the upcoming birth of your child ! ! I too felt this way BUT it is EASILY the coolest thing on the Planet. The little one looks up at you with all assurances that YOU are the coolest thing on the Planet.

Oh - talk to the little one 24/7...It really engages them.....

On the other note...Terribly sorry about the job situation. An interesting idea Id like to pass to you and others in a similar situation....

Had a friend go volunteer at Hab' For Humaniity (to A-learn a new trade B-help the community cuz he's like that) and he ended up with a job by the end of the day. He believed that the confluence of events in that you have companies (contractors) who are those that believe in giving back meeting those willing to volunteer and what better enviroment to look for a future employee than in a volunteer setting. ...the company sees people that want to help show up to volunteer and that comp's the perfect comp' to ask for an opportunity as they're very likely to give it to you.......Its an interesting "current" in the ocean of employment - no lie.

As explained by my pal....

Kaskadian

Kaskadian

Congratulations on the upcoming birth of your child ! ! I too felt this way BUT it is EASILY the coolest thing on the Planet. The little one looks up at you with all assurances that YOU are the coolest thing on the Planet.

On the other note...Terribly sorry about the job situation. An interesting idea Id like to pass to you and others in a similar situation....

Had a friend go volunteer at Hab' For Humaniity (to A-learn a new trade B-help the community cuz he's like that) and he ended up with a job by the end of the day. He believed that the confluence of events in that you have companies (contractors) who are those that believe in giving back meeting those willing to volunteer and what better enviroment to look for a future employee than in a volunteer setting. ...the company sees people that want to help show up to volunteer and that comp's the perfect comp' to ask for an opportunity as they're very likely to give it to you.......Its an interesting "current" in the ocean of employment - no lie.

Thanks for the kind words & suggestions!

I'm actually getting a bit excited about the little one. I'm taking my wife to her first sonogram today, so we might be able to see something in a few hours. My wife has taken to calling it "blueberry" after our doctor mentioned it should only be about the size of a blueberry haha!

About talking to it, you're absolutely right. My wife is a Chinese national so we're going to do our best to make sure our child is raised bi-lingual. My Chinese is only decent at best, but I'm excited about all the possibilities.I speak German (my family emigrated), but I'm not sure if raising a child to speak 3 languages would be a benefit or just confusing. :)

I'll definitely check out getting involved with habitat for humanity, that's an excellent suggestion! Besides the added networking benefits, it's also a cause I actually believe in. I'll be getting involved with the PNW volunteer search & rescue when I get back out West as well. I think the future has a lot of promise, I just need to find a way to make it happen.

Thanks everyone, all the kind words and suggestions really help a lot.

Kas

d0rk2dafullest

d0rk2dafullest

The best thing he can do is look for an internship or paid internship if he's lucky. and then after the year is up, most companies will consider keeping and giving them a salary. if not, he has 1 yr's xp.

Stalks

Stalks

@d0rk2dafullest Very true! The accounting profession is similar to this. Gotta put in the bitch work if you wanna be made partner and see some roi from that expensive ass degree.

Potato Pipe

Potato Pipe

I feel for you. I was in a very similar situation when my first kid was about to to come along. My wife, who has always made (a lot) more than me was laid off when she was six months pregnant with our first.

Why would your work in China be held against you? If I was an employer I'd be very interested in someone that has allowed their talents to take them other places in the world. I'd want to interview them a heck of a lot more than some recent grad that has no real world experience.

:) Dont be surprised that "success" will probably ignore your plans, brother.
Sage advice.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Why would your work in China be held against you? If I was an employer I'd be very interested in someone that has allowed their talents to take them other places in the world.
It's a pain trying to verify employment, like, a HUGE pain. My husband has run into this problem with his company's HR department when he's tried to hire nationals from other countries, and they tend to say things like they can't verify references or get a hold of the previous employer, OR, they literally cannot communicate with the previous employer.

Potato Pipe

Potato Pipe

It's a pain trying to verify employment, like, a HUGE pain. My husband has run into this problem with his company's HR department when he's tried to hire nationals from other countries, and they tend to say things like they can't verify references or get a hold of the previous employer, OR, they literally cannot communicate with the previous employer.
I was thinking along the lines of the JET program or other employment abroad type situations that were easy to track/reference/etc. Totally makes sense as to why there would be problems tho; I didn't think about the other stuff you mentioned.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
here is a social business & professionals website that I have gotten many jobs leads and been contqaxted by recruiters as well. Start building your network now and you will be surprised how many like minded peeps in your industry you will find.

https://www.linkedin.com/

MrBelvedere

MrBelvedere

What great advice, kudos.

@Seamaiden is right on the money, the HR people are ummmm clueless HR people. HR people wouldn't know talent if it knocked them upside the head!

@Kaskadian For references ask friends who will tell them whatever they need to hear. Those are just checkboxes the hiring HR people need to check off. I have a gang of people giving references who know my work ethic, don't sweat it, that is a gray area. PM me I'll assign a 20 minute task to see if you can do what you say your resume says you can do. I can give a legit phone reference or a legit letter of recommendation on letterhead to cover whatever time period you need. Lapses of employment are a red flag that should NOT be a red flag. Work the system or the system will work you. Always help people who deserve and need it. Peace.

Last edited:
Kaskadian

Kaskadian

After literally 100 job applications I've still come up empty handed. It's a bad feeling having a college degree and being turned down for dozens of entry level jobs only asking for a high school diploma or "equivalent". I've got 5+ years of management experience and I can't even get a job as an assistant manager of a McDonald's.

My wife's mom is a professor in China and she's talked to the dean and basically got me a full ride scholarship into a masters program out there. I don't want to go back to China yet because I know this time I'll end up being there for 10-15 years before returning, but I have to find a way to support this kid. It's sad that I can't even find a bare minimum job in my own country but another country is willing to offer me everything I need for my wife and child.

Every single day my stress gets worse, and I've started drinking at night just to get some sleep. I don't want to go back to China, but I think I'm at the end of my rope guys. I've really appreciated the support, and kind words, but I may be out of options now. My wife has a sonogram today (our first picture of our baby), and ultimately I have to do whatever it takes to take care of this child. I don't have the money to afford the medical costs of our baby without insurance.

I'm holding out hope that something will come up before I leave in 3 weeks, but reality has a way of jumping in and biting me on the ass.

Kas

MrBelvedere

MrBelvedere

After literally 100 job applications I've still come up empty handed. It's a bad feeling having a college degree and being turned down for dozens of entry level jobs only asking for a high school diploma or "equivalent". I've got 5+ years of management experience and I can't even get a job as an assistant manager of a McDonald's.

My wife's mom is a professor in China and she's talked to the dean and basically got me a full ride scholarship into a masters program out there. I don't want to go back to China yet because I know this time I'll end up being there for 10-15 years before returning, but I have to find a way to support this kid. It's sad that I can't even find a bare minimum job in my own country but another country is willing to offer me everything I need for my wife and child.

Every single day my stress gets worse, and I've started drinking at night just to get some sleep. I don't want to go back to China, but I think I'm at the end of my rope guys. I've really appreciated the support, and kind words, but I may be out of options now. My wife has a sonogram today (our first picture of our baby), and ultimately I have to do whatever it takes to take care of this child. I don't have the money to afford the medical costs of our baby without insurance.

I'm holding out hope that something will come up before I leave in 3 weeks, but reality has a way of jumping in and biting me on the ass.

Kas

Oh well, we tried. Have fun, that is more important than what country you are in. If you are stuck in China for 15 years getting a two years masters degree then your story is false and you're either trolling or drank. Most of us have worked as burger flippers and are proud of it and don't care about our job title. I'd rather live under a bridge with my family....delivering pizzas in the USA... than spend 15 years in China working on a two year degree. You clearly don't get it. Thanks for wasting our time. Cheers

Last edited:
labud

labud

I gotta pickup bed full of oranges...if you wanna bag em up...I'll drop you off on a freeway entrance and we'll split 50/50....

Kaskadian

Kaskadian

The 15 years isn't related to the degree. The degree with take 3 years (one mandatory mandarin class for foreign students + two for the degree).

I know realistically that a move like this isn't going to be one I pull a 180 and come right back from. We have family there, school, and her dad is encouraging me to stay and work there until our kid gets into high school. Life has a way of getting in the way and that's what scares me, I was supposed to spend a year or two away from home and that's turned into nearly 15 years already. I've been fighting for a way back out west and yeah, maybe I'm feeling a bit sorry for myself but I have all but run out of options. I'm sorry to have bothered you guys with my shit.

Kas

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Not bothered! I'm really sorry you're running into these problems, it is not uncommon at all but that doesn't make it feel any better, does it?

So, I have a question for you. If you're so desirable in China, might you not also be desirable in other countries? I'm thinking more Nordic nations, or hell, even the former Eastern Bloc nations. Clearly, you're educated *and* educable.

alaskind

alaskind

You want a managers job @ Mikky deez? np.. start making fries and working the trenches... in a cpl weeks some1 will need you to do something outside of your job description. Do it well. If you are not half asleep/developmentally limited then U will rise fast. Ive seen it happen to peeps that had no college ect... however its always gonna be easier for a manager to hire some1 for an asst manager if they see the person is a problem solver already.... Just get in the trenches @ a crappy job.... if U can handle that with style, that what a boss looks to hire....

pinegrovedave

pinegrovedave

With a degree, you could enter the military as a commissioned officer, the military would take care of your housing, your family, and you could earn some real world skills that are enviable in the civilian world. As an example, I will cite my son. Of course, he has no degree, but he scored exceptionally high on his ASVAB test so he pretty much had his choice of occupations in the US Navy. He became an NDT (Non Destructive Tester) inspecting submarine hull welds. His first job out of the Navy started at $68,000/year with an additional shift differential. He works for AeroJet on the Atlas Booster program inspecting the missile fuselages. Highly skilled position and how many college grads start out at close to 70K/year on their first job out of school?

Latest posts

Top Bottom