Unhappy clones please try to help

• Thread starter Hamsandwichman44
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

Hamsandwichman44

Can you get a seedling heat mat to put the pots over? I always use one when rooting clones initially... did you thoroughly saturate the soil when you first put them in it? Just thinking maybe the root hit an air pocket and got stunted or something? Definitely could stand to be warmer over all.
I don’t have a heating pad laying around, I may pick one up tho after reading these comments.
Yes I gave them a good watering during transplant, to the point of slight runoff but not excessive. Same as I’ve done in the past.
Slightly below 72 causing this much droop/stress…? Iunno dudes..

Ponky

Ponky

Longest I've had post transplant droop was 3 days. Might just perk up.

Goodshit97

Goodshit97

I don’t have a heating pad laying around, I may pick one up tho after reading these comments.
Yes I gave them a good watering during transplant, to the point of slight runoff but not excessive. Same as I’ve done in the past.
So i just rooted 15 clones. I transplanted into solo cups from the cloner and right into my veg tent, no domes, no humidifier. I set my high temp on my controller to 82F, rh is set at 65%, i didnt even mist them when i transplanted, just sent them to their home and they are happy. Clones need warmer temps than most plants because they can't produce good healthy roots when its cold. If you're room is at 72, and the pots sit on the floor, chances are the soil temp is probably 5 degrees lower since its damp/wet. I bet if you bump that temp up, they will come around.

GrowHobo

GrowHobo

It’s a combination of the cold temps and light intensity. It’s not warm enough to stimulate root growth therefore it couldn’t handle the light intensity. I’m basically 100% sure that’s the problem.

Dropping the light intensity may be enough on its own but they will probably grow slow af and your gonna have watering issues.

I’d say fuck the heat mat and put a little radiator heater hooked up to an inkbird thermostat. 80f in veg you’ll be rocking.

H

Hamsandwichman44

Thanks for the replies fellas, didn’t think I’d be battling low temps but they are clones.. makes sense they want it warmer. My humidifier seems to be lowering temp as well with a cooling effect. What you guys think about a humidifier with a warming feature? Any experience with one? Maybe instead of running a damn heater…

ninjadip

ninjadip

So i just rooted 15 clones. I transplanted into solo cups from the cloner and right into my veg tent, no domes, no humidifier. I set my high temp on my controller to 82F, rh is set at 65%, i didnt even mist them when i transplanted, just sent them to their home and they are happy. Clones need warmer temps than most plants because they can't produce good healthy roots when its cold. If you're room is at 72, and the pots sit on the floor, chances are the soil temp is probably 5 degrees lower since its damp/wet. I bet if you bump that temp up, they will come around.
Plus one, this is good advice. I do a lot of clones as well. If they don't have established roots yet, misting them with super thrive has worked wonders for me.

ninjadip

ninjadip

Thanks for the replies fellas, didn’t think I’d be battling low temps but they are clones.. makes sense they want it warmer. My humidifier seems to be lowering temp as well with a cooling effect. What you guys think about a humidifier with a warming feature? Any experience with one? Maybe instead of running a damn heater…
I think you need a real heater, a warm air humidifier is only going to do so much. I know when I'm cloning they love that heat mat up until I move them into bigger homes

TSD

TSD

I think you need a real heater, a warm air humidifier is only going to do so much. I know when I'm cloning they love that heat mat up until I move them into bigger homes
Yeah I don't think a heat mat or warm humidifier will be enough, mat might help keep the soil warm, but he needs to get the room temp up too. The little radiator style oil heaters are relatively safe and efficient, and slightly less drying than the hot air blowing style. I have one in my smoke room, it has a timer and 5 different temp options plus hi, lo, ans eco mode. Got it on Amazon for like 70 bucks I think.

T

Titleist

Some of the things you amended with take time to break down and become useful. Looks like you have temperatures figured out you just need some root growth quickly. I hate to say this seeing as how this looks like an organic grow, but you may be able to get a faster response using a humic/kelp/sugar supplement like a floralicious plus, humboldt golden tree etc. You also may want to foliar feed it as well. Or you can make your own spray with the same ingredients and a little molasses.

Never been a fan of organic and cloning into organic soil. When problems happen it takes time to fix and trying to change soil biology quick enough regain control over the grow just isn't worth it for me. Foliar is your friend here.

H

Hamsandwichman44

Thanks for the pointers, I’ve added a heater with inkbird thermostat to dial temp. Seems like my humidifier can’t keep up with the higher temp now… they are looking pretty sad… maybe they will bounce back but I’m not counting on it..

86A24C84 D3DC 4DE9 9C8C 2D6BDDD0D7EF
9D201F97 5C0F 4483 ACBE 2CB8B5FA2254
8929FDC6 0E13 4BB7 B0FE F2EF3FE66252
GrowHobo

GrowHobo

I’d mist the plug on the 2 in the last pic. They are doing the dry wilt

GrowHobo

GrowHobo

Soft limp stems means no water.

I highly advise starting in smaller pots next time before going to buckets

H

Hamsandwichman44

I’d mist the plug on the 2 in the last pic. They are doing the dry wilt

Soft limp stems means no water.

I highly advise starting in smaller pots next time before going to buckets

Soak that media. Pump the heat to 82.
Concerning the two in the last picture, the one in the back was watered 3 days ago at transplant. The one in the front was transplanted and watered the same day but yesterday I repotted it (plain foxfarm ocean Forest) and watered it in again. Moisture meter on the back one is reading 7 out of 10 after 3 days. You all really think they are wilting from lack of water? I was thinking the opposite like they need more time between watering.. I went thru this before and thought I overwatered the last ones that I trashed.
Like I said before it doesn’t seem to matter if I water 2 days in a row or wait 4 days between watering.. they just wilt either way

H

Hamsandwichman44

Also the stems are purple which I thought meant overwatering and they feel limp and wet not dry and brittle

cshell

cshell

Others have said that your soil mix is too hot. I'm inclined to agree. Ocean Forest runs hot straight out of the bag. Adding neem and kelp meal to it makes it hotter. Adding alfalfa meal to it, if you didn't give it about a month to cook, makes it extremely hot. If they're still savable, you should take one out of that soil and put it in something a bit more neutral like Happy Frog and save the amendments for when they get hungry in a month or so, and avoid adding alfalfa unless you give it some time to break down first.

M

MiMJgrower

That soil is so dry looking...lol....did you do a nice deep even watering of 75-80 degree water when you initailly transplanted them? Temp your water before using it. Was it RO water you used? If not what type of water? I didnt read all posts. Hope im not asking ?'s that were already asked...lol

If you are on a concrete floor it will help to bring the pot up off the floor...

Last edited:
Goodshit97

Goodshit97

I agree with @Ponky on this one. Saturate all the media and bump that heat to 82 or 83. My veg tent runs about 82-83 with no problems at all so you ahould be aok

TSD

TSD

Looks like you might be watering incorrectly? I see a ring of water around the middle of the pot, you need to saturate the entire pot. If those baby roots touch dry soil, they're not going to like it. Worry about the wet dry cycle once they are more established. I personally have never used Rockwool to start clones, but from what I know, it needs to stay moist... I'd saturate the plug especially. Get a watering can with a shower tip, makes it easier to evenly saturate and less likely a heavy stream of water is going to force its way through the path of least resistance, come out the bottom and make you think you're saturated when in fact you have a ton of dry spots. I always water over like an hour a bit at a time for a nice even saturation. Get your buckets up off the floor too, I don't see holes in the sides, so you need airflow in and drainage out at all times. I use baking racks underneath, only need an inch or so.

Latest posts

Top Bottom