Unhappy clones please try to help

• Thread starter Hamsandwichman44
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
steamroller

steamroller

This may help you with watering since you already have a moisture meter.
Poking from the top may not be completely accurate.
Often growers use domes over clones to help with humidity.

TSD

TSD

This may help you with watering since you already have a moisture meter.
Poking from the top may not be completely accurate.
Often growers use domes over clones to help with humidity.
Correct. In 5 gallon buckets, a probe probably just barely reaches the water table, if at all. I'd drill a few holes so I could probe different areas by the side... I'd personally drill holes in at least the bottom third of the bucket, if not all over. Right now he needs to keep the top soil moist too though because he doesn't have a root system to reach the lower water in the soil... worry about the wet dry cycle when they're drinking better. Strong possibility the soil was too hot as well. I cook my soil for at least a month in the sun when I add organic amendments like that. If they weren't vigorous to begin with, they maybe couldn't handle it. Hopefully those will pull through, fingers crossed. 🤞

H

Hamsandwichman44

How would the moisture meter be reading moisture if it’s not reaching the water table? Wouldn’t it read dry if it wasn’t reaching? The probes are half way down into the soil, just below where the roots SHOULD be. Maybe I’m not watering thoroughly enough… but I’ve never had this problem, granted I only have maybe 6 runs under the belt. The meter says there’s water so I’m afraid of watering too often and drowning the baby roots. Also the water I’m using is just filtered water from the fridge, I let it sit for a day minimum to reach room temp (70ish). I guess it’s a compounding effect of a few things being off.. thank you all for the pointers, I will certainly take them into account in the future

LJBB

LJBB

Pull them back out of those big ass pots ASAP. Try to cut/pull as much rockwool off them as possible without fucking the roots up too bad. Put them back in solo cups with very slightly moistened soil. Fill the solo cup with roots then transplant them back to the big pots or even better yet transplant them to something between the solo and big pot and fill with roots then the big pot.

They are drowning bro!

LJBB

LJBB

If it were me I would get them outta the tent too. Put them in the house under a 15-20 watt LED light bulb in Solo cups and MAYBE back in a dome. I grow in coco but had the same problem 2 grows ago with some gifted clones in rockwool and it stays ENTIRELY too wet if you bury it in media and don’t allow it to breathe.

At the end of the day it could be many different things but this is my 2 centavos. Rockwool in any grow media is a bad idea and definitely has to be dealt with to have success with it. It can’t possibly hurt them to pull them out of your current containers and at least check the moisture in the rockwool cause I will bet a dollar to a donut that they are swimming/drowning in the rockwool.

If I am correct when you put them back in a solo cup with as much rockwool as possible removed also keep 1/3-1/2 of the rockwool above the soil so the air can help it dry out.

Peace out,

LJ

H

Hamsandwichman44

Ok well I pulled the front one that at this point was a stick with everything hanging lifeless…… the rock wool was dry as I peeled it apart…. The soil was moist (not dry not wet)… the plant appeared dead… the “roots” looked the same as when I transplanted it 4 days ago.. about a 1/4 protruding… I am completely dumbfounded, I didn’t even bother replanting it in a solo cup

H

Hamsandwichman44

Rock wool didn’t play well with the soil? I’m pretty sure I’ve used clones in rock wool and soil before without this headache. The last run was in jiffy cubes. Before that there was about a 5 year gap where I wasn’t able to grow so it’s hard to remember what I was doing before. But…. It’s a fucking weed… I cannot for the life of me understand how I managed to kill 3 so far…

GrowHobo

GrowHobo

Ok well I pulled the front one that at this point was a stick with everything hanging lifeless…… the rock wool was dry as I peeled it apart…. The soil was moist (not dry not wet)… the plant appeared dead… the “roots” looked the same as when I transplanted it 4 days ago.. about a 1/4 protruding… I am completely dumbfounded, I didn’t even bother replanting it in a solo cup
Rockwool was dry like I said earlier. That kinda limp stems is from lack of water. It woulda been fine if you had just watered it.

I already explained your problem don’t be dumbfounded. Little plant with no roots in big ass pots have to be babied. Not left to be cold and blasted with light and left to wilt. I’m checking out on this one. Good luck

LJBB

LJBB

If the roots were the same they would have bounced back with another growers advice but either way pot up 2-3-4 times from now on filling each pot with roots before going to the next and you will never have this same problem again. IMHO

LJBB

LJBB

Here is my last advice of the holidays! When in doubt Aquaman it out????

808B29FB 56F6 4A35 9AD6 C7A8C563CAF9
925C41B3 F3F1 4EC9 AED9 3D4C7746ADE9
6CB55C55 4CAA 4555 954A 038611AB2E23

Sunasun

Sunasun

Rock wool didn’t play well with the soil? I’m pretty sure I’ve used clones in rock wool and soil before without this headache. The last run was in jiffy cubes. Before that there was about a 5 year gap where I wasn’t able to grow so it’s hard to remember what I was doing before. But…. It’s a fucking weed… I cannot for the life of me understand how I managed to kill 3 so far…
Stop severely underwatering them, and they'll start surviving. You need to saturate the entire media each watering letting it dry out between waterings. Check the weight of the pot to determine when it's actually dry. Way more accurate than that moisture meter you're using. Also, clones with little to no root systems need very little light 100-150 ppfd at first to grow roots properly. As the plant grows you can increase this as long as she's healthy. If not lower it back down.
Several people have told you this, but until you swallow your pride and follow their advice, your plants will continue to suffer under your herbicidal reign .

TSD

TSD

How would the moisture meter be reading moisture if it’s not reaching the water table? Wouldn’t it read dry if it wasn’t reaching? The probes are half way down into the soil, just below where the roots SHOULD be. Maybe I’m not watering thoroughly enough… but I’ve never had this problem, granted I only have maybe 6 runs under the belt. The meter says there’s water so I’m afraid of watering too often and drowning the baby roots. Also the water I’m using is just filtered water from the fridge, I let it sit for a day minimum to reach room temp (70ish). I guess it’s a compounding effect of a few things being off.. thank you all for the pointers, I will certainly take them into account in the future
Moist upper soil and the perched water table are two different things. Here is a definition I copy pasted cause I'm wake and baking and can't use my brain currently lol.
"There is, in every pot, what is called a "perched water table" (PWT). This is water that occupies a layer of soil that is always saturated and will not drain at the bottom of the pot. It can evaporate or be used by the plant, but physical forces will not allow it to drain. It is there because the capillary pull of the soil at some point will equal the GFP; therefore, the water does not drain, it is "perched"."

It can't drain, it has to evaporate or get used by the plant, this is why a dry period is so important in mature plants. That's why it's important to check moisture lower down or better yet do it by weight.
In my opinion, in your case, you didn't saturate well enough and the roots didn't grow because of it, and maybe some other issues compounded that.

H

hawkman

I’m having trouble with these clones I picked up, they looked really happy at first and went downhill each day.
They were rooted in rock wool (small roots about 1/4 inch protruding from bottom at transplant).
Soil is fox farm ocean Forest with some amendments I added Neem meal, Kelp meal, Alfalfa meal, charcoal and lava rock.
Light is 300 watt LED 24” at half power 18/6.
Temp is stable around 72, humidity was low at first around 30 but I added a humidifier now it’s around 50.
At first I thought I was over watering and I made some adjustments there.

The plants on the left are about a week and a half in the soil and are just barely alive…I lost two others already.. they looked super healthy when I first got them.
The plants on the right were transplanted 2 days ago and are starting to droop and act like the other ones did.. I’m at a loss trying to understand what I’m doing wrong. Never lost rooted clones like this…
I pulled two plants 2 days ago that I figured weren’t going to make it.. the roots hadn’t grown into the soil it seems… it’s like they just don’t want to grow in my soil mix…
consider next go-a-round _ try this week 1 -3 just use water and a good root stimulator ( here is growth cycle) --
germination stage - week 1
seedling stage -- week 2-
vegation stage week 3 (veg time starts when there are 3 sets of true leaves)
flowwer stage - 30 + days
Need to concern yourself with building your "roots' inweek 1-2 ( they are your foundation) NO nutrients your leaves inducate this (burnt) plants are ot a lost just take the "bad" leaves off and just feed water for 1 week then start to introduce nurtients at low rates

sorry this is not your answer for clones _ but do you put your clones in a different room for 1 week to insure that if your clones were thru the mail that they are not infested - watch yu watering add root stimulatiors

rDWCNoob

rDWCNoob

I use rockwool exusively and while I'm not a pro, I have to wonder if your soil was actually wicking away all the water from the cube? I've found at least with rockwool to rockwool transplants, the bigger cube has a habit of drying out the cube on top/in the hole. I'll give the big block a good soaking prior to transplant then after that keep watering the little cube to keep it from drying out for the first few days.

It's easier in straight rockwool though as you can't really over water the way soil and coco can. I can water till runoff 6, 7, 8 times a day in veg, so long as it gets no water at night it's fine.

Latest posts

Top Bottom