Urine is a great fertilizer

• Thread starter Onespark
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Kyle mccall

Kyle mccall

"Many people might cringe at the idea of using urine to fertilize plants, but urine has been used as a cheap, effective fertilizer around the world for thousands of years. Unlike human feces, urine from healthy people is sterile and pathogen-free. A 2007 study from the Department of Environmental Sciences in Finland showed that tomato plants fertilized with human urine produced nearly four times as much fruit
Read more: The Effects of Urine on Tomato Plants | Garden Guides http://www.gardenguides.com/96898-effects-urine-tomato-plants.html#ixzz21pT0FfuR

exactly healthy people sterile and pathogen free and unless you analyse your own piss how can you say that and urine for thousands of years i think they just looked in the right place ie volcanic ash is a great fertillizer and comes from mother earth peace km

K

kolah

Many folks widely accept the use of chicken shit, bat, horse and cow shit and all of the formulations of nasty chemically synthetic potions that are mixed up in the lab (which later add to run-off and nitrate pollution). I am not quite sure why urine has not been accepted as the number one way to fertilize plants. Maybe because it's free?

BTW, I do not use diluted urine on my root vegetables. Common sense comes into play. :)

Kyle mccall

Kyle mccall

and that article states you should stop using it during flowering so why bother unless your going to veg for so long might as well go spend the ÂŁ100 or so on nutrients.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Kolah, you ever read the study that showed that a combination of urine+wood ash is a BETTER and MORE EFFECTIVE fertilizer than typical blue NPK ferts? Even urine alone is better in the testing done. Your reply, and squiggly's, have been very diplomatic. Mine further down will not be so diplomatic.
Just my 2¢ (worth a lot less I'm sure) Some years ago I raised checkered giant rabbits in my garage as a hobby and sold the meat to a local Belgian butcher shop. Rabbits shit a ton. And the main ingredient in rabbit pellets/food is alfalpha I had a rain gutter sytem set up to collect it as the floors of the cages were 1/4" hardware cloth allowing the turds/urine to fall through. I composted the manuer and had the best looking flower beds on the block. The pile of composted turds in the late spring when I turned it over had TONS of night crawlers in it. Any fresh water fishermen (or Belgians for that matter) out there? Commercial night crawler breeders use rabbit poop to grow them.....and those "castings" you see in the store were once alphalpha then rabbit shit then worm poop........ahhhhhh the circle of life!!
What's special about rabbit run-off is that it's been being fed alfalfa, and so it goes for any herbivore whose effluent we'll re-use for fertilization--what they eat affects to a large degree how well, or what effects it will have for us when we use it as soil food. As you noted and practiced, composting (the repeat processes of immobilization and mineralization by microbes) is the key here! I believe you can make a bunny crap tea, but would have to go VERY low on the ratios.
you ever see a dog piss on a plant? it fucks it up...and dogs only drink water, i drink booze..i cant imagine thats good for plants.
Not if it's only peed on once. When it's a problem is when you have undiluted urine applied repeatedly to the same area. It burns, just like the blue stuff. Your liver has taken care of any downstream issues the booze may present. What's a problem are xeno-hormones and the like--what are you eating, not just drinking?
not even read this post im just gonna say one thing you piss that stuff out for a reason because its TOXIC to your body so fuck putting it on my girls thats kinda filthy anyway we have a name for that its called watersports haha :)
"a sewer rat might taste like pumpkin pie, but i wouldnt know cause i aint eating the motherfucker"

seriously, if it did or didnt work, YUCK! i'd be pissed, literally.

it does work, but seriously with the prices of nutes nowadays thats soooo gross and dumb. if dookies raised PK would you be shittin in your res?
You sound like a small scale closet grower and a child.
lol EXACTLY. your urine is everything you havent used passing through you. yes, there may be some beneficials, but not nearly enough to make it beneficial. get some grow big. lolololol
Is this all you can offer the thread? Is it safe to assume that you have absolutely zero practical experience with this subject, let alone a grasp of plant nutrition at a level only slightly above NPK paradigms?
Just to take a slightly different course (that's how I roll it seems according to my daughters) my urine is pH 5.7 so in a pinch I have built in pH down. I also take iron suppliments with a generous dose of vitamin C at the same time, and get B12 shots and Ferreheme twice ayear for anemia...but for iron I just have old steel nails in every pot......and for the record I'd eat a pumpkin pie flavored sewer rat!!! A little saffron rice and broccoli and hollandaise on the side and new Gamay Beaujolais!!! Bon appetit as they say in in Kay Beck, eh!!!
Liberano, if you're using biological (read: organic, chem salts kill the biology) methods you don't *need* to concern yourself with pH adjustment. If you're growing in coir, that pH is pretty darn near spot on, too. What cannot be ignored is that what's provided in fresh urine is BIO-AVAILABLE nutrients, usually in the proper ratios for plants so as to not cause imbalances, deficiencies, toxicities, etc. Allowing the soil biology to work in concert with the rhizosphere practically guarantees success.

Once you're able to do that, you can then begin to understand and work with Brix. Got a refractometer? Your biggest problem from that point will be 1) getting enough sap out of cannabis leaves to get a reading and, 2) figuring out exactly how to manipulate soil parameters (N,P,K, Ca, Mg, Fe, B, Si, S, Cl, um... now I can't remember the whole suite, but looking at a Mulder's mineral chart is really helpful for grasping what's occurring on a molecular level) so as to get that Brix reading as high as you possibly can.

Why? Because, high Brix = optimum plant health.

I'm still trying to sort out the "squeezing enough sap out of the leaves!" stage. I'm thinking maybe a rigged up C-clamp, with plates or something...? I don't know, it needs to be able to be taken out in the 'field' with me.
so RB I was going to try it with one of my hydro projects. I'm non skeert. I think I could make this work well. Cap's bennies in my buckets would convert the urea nitrogen to elemental N and the other elements could be adjusted with diet. I eat meat once a week and most of the food I eat is organic so my piss would be low in all unusual compounds but one. I think this thread was a long time coming. Thanks Onespark.
Excellent! I'm assuming that you provide homes for beneficial microbes in this system, which would allow the beneficials to act.

You're right, this is a long time coming, although last year I proved that I can grow some mighty good stuff using my urine as a base, but I didn't produce enough to really get the yield on the one plant that got nothing but urine. The others were in amended soil and got teas and organic feeds, along with my favorite sugars, that are again aimed at feeding soil biology *and* the plants. I'm not sure you can do this easily in a hydroponic set up (use sugars), but I do when I'm growing in coir.

Please notify me when you start a thread, will you?

Classic Remix

Classic Remix

You sound like a small scale closet grower and a child.

Whoa! who died and made you queen pms?

thanks for slandering my comment, like a child, grow up. didnt know people couldnt have opinions in your neck of the woods, i'll make sure to avoid you.

and for the record everyone can thank me none of the nugs i have use piss, regardless of pointless benefits.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Uh, reread, sox, it wasn't you I was commenting at, sox. I think you missed my comment to you.

And yeah, that person who's going on about the cost of nutes and using urine is "sooo gross and dumb", I'm gonna call that person a small scale closet grower and a child.

It's been over a year since I've had to deal with womanation, so your claim of PMS is also off base. Not to mention, why can't a woman get a little annoyed at idiotic comments and not be attacked *for* being female, huh? My points about having something to contribute to the thread are valid as well.

To *you* the benefits are pointless. I say to you and others who think like you that your stance is based on ignorance. I'd rather consume something made with clean, unadulterated human urine instead of something made from the waste of CAFOs (concentrated animal feeding operations), which are, by necessity, animals that are fed antibiotics prophylactically, as well as shit like growth hormones that I personally don't want in my body. I happen to think it's a far more filthy practice, and I think that using potable water to flush away waste is a sin.

Btw, I've had dogs all my life, I've never seen a dog's piss ruin a plant in 24 hrs. Either way, it's undiluted, my statement stands.

Classic Remix

Classic Remix

i dont need your reasoning for why you said what you did, we're not politicians. i didnt even read it.

im sorry my "closet grow" isnt good enough for you. sorry its just me that tends to my medical needs. guess im too small of a "farmer" to be here by your standards?

i'll post my opinions, if you disagree, thats fine. no need to be disrespectful about it.

easy enough.

squiggly

squiggly

Seamaiden might be an asshole--but she's also a correct asshole.

Urine in at least 90% of the human population is a wonderful fertilizer if it is applied properly.

In terms of any unwanted substances--you're talking about micro and nanogram levels.

If we compare the urea cycle in mammals to plants, it literally mimics a backwards cycle which is seen in synthesis for many plant species, and even diatoms. Intermediarys like ornithine and carnitine are used in cell wall production--and there are other synchronicities such as these.

It's like I said, plants (in terms of metabolism) are like backwards mammals. They take all the stuff we waste and put it to good use--this is because their energy source is the sun. They use inorganic chemicals to produce their OWN organic energy sustenance. They are incapable of absorbing organic nutrients on a large enough scale to survive, so they depend (and are specialized) solely on this process of using the sun to build organics.

We, thusly, depend on them ultimately for our sustenance. Every cell and every organic structure on this earth owes its existence at some point in the past to a molecule of glucose or sucrose that a plant made.

The only thing the plants have ever asked in return of us is that we eat them and shit their seeds around, that we piss on the earth so that they can get some of their building blocks back--and that when we die we are decomposed back into our substituent inorganics for re-use similarly.

I get it that pee is yucky, and that to some people it seems reasonable that's is waste and not good for anything--but the truth is that we're not plants.

If we WERE plants, then our bladders might as well be our stomachs--because urine is that good shit.

The ONLY problem i see here is that it really depends how concentrated the chemicals in your urine are. There is a lack of standardization here which should be addressed. It would probably be proper to dillute most urine as it is some fairly concentrated stuff.

Beyond that I don't see anything wrong with this--and anyone who does is probably very wrong. This kinda stuff is sort of my bag--I'm not just speaking from the butthole here :)

K

kolah

Seamaiden is a pretty smart cookie and although her and I sometimes may not agere on all things she always brings good information to the table..from a common sense point of view, from a trial and error point of view and from a scientific point of view.

I am not really a big fan of scientific stuff and I much prefer the "try it and see what happens" method. If it works and it is safe I don't need any million dollar studies to prove it. :) The studies are often nice to support a persons claim though.

My past posts and comments were an attempt to set the record straight and debunk the myths that piss is bad and icky. Anyone can choose to use it, research it further or continue to live in ignorance.

For those of us who are open to finding and exploring new methods (and reducing costs) human urine is a great addition to our toolbags of "organic" growing.

Kyle mccall

Kyle mccall

you guys are talking like this is humanity accesion to a higher cause its a bit of piss personally if you want nice tasting buds dont be a tight arse and piss in ya bucket go buy some good quality nutes :)

waayne

waayne

you guys are talking like this is humanity accesion to a higher cause its a bit of piss personally if you want nice tasting buds dont be a tight arse and piss in ya bucket go buy some good quality nutes :)

Mr mccall your absolute ignorance on this subject is astounding.......

We all appreciate a lively debate here at the Farm, but I suggest in the future you learn to reply to all members here respectfully........

The next post of yours I have to edit will result in a permanent ban.......

Kyle mccall

Kyle mccall

Mr mccall your absolute ignorance on this subject is astounding.......

We all appreciate a lively debate here at the Farm, but I suggest in the future you learn to reply to all members here respectfully........

The next post of yours I have to edit will result in a permanent ban.......

i apoligise for the comments ignorance on the subject what because i do not like to use urine for my plants and dont respect other members snide remarks i ll keep that in mind wayne that i should shut up while higher members can spout rubbish.

waayne

waayne

Mr mccall
I didn't have a problem with your position regarding urine as a nutrient source
My problem was with your sexist derogatory comments.....most of which were directed at a longstanding member

Flaming other members is not tolerated here at the farm

I might suggest taking the time to research/study organic soil biology,the soil food web,and organic nutrient profiles
and their relationship to nutrient uptake.
Using urine for plant food is an ancient, sustainable,organic gardening technique.......

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
Something else Urine is good for = Incense. In India and many countries it's been used for centuries. Anybody here like Nag Champa? There is piss in that, but it smells so good;)

Kyle mccall

Kyle mccall

Mr mccall
I didn't have a problem with your position regarding urine as a nutrient source
My problem was with your sexist derogatory comments.....most of which were directed at a longstanding member

Flaming other members is not tolerated here at the farm

I might suggest taking the time to research/study organic soil biology,the soil food web,and organic nutrient profiles
and their relationship to nutrient uptake.
Using urine for plant food is an ancient, sustainable,organic gardening technique.......

ah SEAMAIDEN i apoligise thinking of what i wrote i can see how it would look none of it actually was sexist and im sorry i was actually angry at the fact you called me a child and a small closet grower and i never said urine didnt have any uses and if you look at my post on page 2 you ll see that
anyway waayne once again sorry and i wish to leave it at that.

squiggly

squiggly

Kyle, good quality nutes are made in a lab and suffer from chemical contamination almost universally. Urine comes out of perhaps the most specialized filter on the planet--the nutes contained within are just as good and high quality as anything out there. As a source of nitrogen urine is equally good if not better than most anything you can buy.

This is just a fact.

A compound is a compound is a compound--the source doesn't matter much, but as contamination goes mass produced lab chemicals are about as bad as it gets.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Kyle, Remix, et alia. If I'm off base, I apologize. I don't normally go off like that, but sometimes I get so annoyed that I let it go. I could have been far more diplomatic in my statements and attempts to correct you.

Let's go with the 'quality' nutrients comment. Did you know that all you're getting are repackaged mixes? Did you know that, when it comes to quality in chemical salt nutrients, you need to know exactly what you're dealing with? When you get to that point you're getting into the molecular structure and physiology of how plants may utilize these nutrients.

That doesn't even begin to address what happens, and what's been happening for millenia, when the whole compliment of biology is incorporated.
Seamaiden is a pretty smart cookie and although her and I sometimes may not agere on all things she always brings good information to the table..from a common sense point of view, from a trial and error point of view and from a scientific point of view.

I am not really a big fan of scientific stuff and I much prefer the "try it and see what happens" method. If it works and it is safe I don't need any million dollar studies to prove it. :) The studies are often nice to support a persons claim though.

My past posts and comments were an attempt to set the record straight and debunk the myths that piss is bad and icky. Anyone can choose to use it, research it further or continue to live in ignorance.

For those of us who are open to finding and exploring new methods (and reducing costs) human urine is a great addition to our toolbags of "organic" growing.
Thank you, kolah. Believe it or not, my own tendency is to jump into something and see how it works first. THEN I'll get into the science, if I can grasp it.

I think your posts have served well to show that it not only can be done, but perhaps should be done. I can think of many moral imperatives that are answered by making this one simple choice--do I flush the pee, or do I use the pee?
Something else Urine is good for = Incense. In India and many countries it's been used for centuries. Anybody here like Nag Champa? There is piss in that, but it smells so good;)
I had no idea! I love Nag Champa! Then again, I love patchouli.

Back when my father was experimented with photomicrography at home, he grew out some urea crystals. He then placed the slide in a microscope and placed a polarizing filter between the camera and the optics. What he ended up with were landscapes, surreal, looked a lot like satellite imagery that was nonexistent in the public consciousness at that time. Pretty cool. He did sugars, salts, and a few other things as well.

Toker Ace

Toker Ace

Squig you are right on the money. While some things would be impractical to attempt to analyze, careful monitoring of ec and ph would be fairly easy. Sea: thanks, I did phase 1 of piss pot, this summer with an outdoor hydro project. Mostly to see what my regular plant can tolerate. With everything I learned so far, with my system, a biofilter would be unnecessary as the massive root ball would act as one. A once a week inoculation with Cap's bennies might be the way to go or a sterilization with h202 for a debridment and then rinse and reinoculate.
Children saying "eww piss" please quit taking up space the big people are talking.

Latest posts

Top Bottom