Using a water meter for cannabis

• Thread starter fawnridge
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I like the Ecowhitt probes Habo posted and would love to automate the watering using moisture probes. Just not sure how reliable and/or accurate they are in respects to using them to automate watering. If they misread and overwater or underwater they sort of kill the whole reason you used them in the first place. Coming home to a tent floor full of water is no bueno.

What I love about using these types of probes is that it would customize the feed frequency to the individual plants needs which is always a plus. I wish I could feel more confident about them. I'm sure someone is either launching or in development of one of these types of systems so I'm going to keep using my light pot method but when one does come out that is reliable and proven I'll definitely jump on it as I frequently have to leave for extended periods of time for work leaving my girls unattended. I have a crude auto irrigate system that works but would love something like this.

The pulse system looks promising. What have you heard about it? I wonder if it would be compatible with the ACI system?

BTW...is that $37 for EACH probe and display?
Compatible? No not likely

Comparable? I'm thinking yes without ever having used the Pulse Hub.

I have the AC69 controller. It just arrived on Saturday and it's still in the box with the new cloudline fan system I bought. I'll be swapping out an old tired/heavily used 5 x 5 this next weekend. I'll be putting up AC Infinity's 5 x 5 with the rest of the gear mentioned. I'm hoping that the AC69 system will do everything I need it to do. It's much cheaper than the Pulse option.

steamroller

steamroller

I sometimes leave the meter in lowest hole I drilled in the pot when watering.
This allows near if not full saturation without runoff. First pot when doing all [ double digits]. It gives me a good ballpark for the others so I can more easily keep track.
I also water the tray to allow the bottom to soak up.

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

Compatible? No not likely

Comparable? I'm thinking yes without ever having used the Pulse Hub.

I have the AC69 controller. It just arrived on Saturday and it's still in the box with the new cloudline fan system I bought. I'll be swapping out an old tired/heavily used 5 x 5 this next weekend. I'll be putting up AC Infinity's 5 x 5 with the rest of the gear mentioned. I'm hoping that the AC69 system will do everything I need it to do. It's much cheaper than the Pulse option.
Me too. Once I get the Cloudbreak T3 humidifier it'll make humidity control in the tent WAY easier. The fan control is really nice. No more having to spend days on end trying to dial in the room so you know when and how fast to set your fan speed. What also sucked is, even then, the fan speed was static so if there was any fluctuation in the room the fan would continue chugging along versus the ACI sensored fan that will regulate according to readings.

I'm jealous. I wish I had gone with an ACI kit from the beginning but lesson learned. Curious to see how the Cont69 works out for you. I've read that it has a bit of a glitch in regards to controlling their fan. I think it was Big Blonde that had mentioned it. How big a fan did you get for the 5 x 5? I have the T6 but wish I would have gone with the T8. The T6 is fine and works but I feel it's a tad small for that size tent.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Me too. Once I get the Cloudbreak T3 humidifier it'll make humidity control in the tent WAY easier. The fan control is really nice. No more having to spend days on end trying to dial in the room so you know when and how fast to set your fan speed. What also sucked is, even then, the fan speed was static so if there was any fluctuation in the room the fan would continue chugging along versus the ACI sensored fan that will regulate according to readings.

I'm jealous. I wish I had gone with an ACI kit from the beginning but lesson learned. Curious to see how the Cont69 works out for you. I've read that it has a bit of a glitch in regards to controlling their fan. I think it was Big Blonde that had mentioned it. How big a fan did you get for the 5 x 5? I have the T6 but wish I would have gone with the T8. The T6 is fine and works but I feel it's a tad small for that size tent.
I have the T-8. Yes, its oversized but it's perfect in the sense that you turn it down and have less noise to deal with. The fan can then be controlled to speed up or slow down from there in high humidity or low temp type situations ...

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

I have the T-8. Yes, its oversized but it's perfect in the sense that you turn it down and have less noise to deal with. The fan can then be controlled to speed up or slow down from there in high humidity or low temp type situations ...
Exactly. When either temp or humidity goes out of range the T6 fan goes to 10 and stays there for around 15 - 30 minutes before it gets environment back in range. The T8 would make short work of that which. like you said, would lower the noise the fan puts out although I'm thinking of buying their duct silencer. I've heard it really knocks down the volume.

Either way you're going to really like the setup! Congratulations!!!

BigBlonde

BigBlonde

Once I get the Cloudbreak T3 humidifier it'll make humidity control in the tent WAY easier.
I just received the T3 that I ordered November 17th. I'm working on adding it to my tent this week. It will be connected to a Controller 69 Pro. I think it will be nice to be able to keep the humidifier outside of the tent and be able to fill it without opening the tent. I have two plants that are almost ready for the bigger tent, so hopefully I'll have it all put together soon.

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

I just received the T3 that I ordered November 17th. I'm working on adding it to my tent this week. It will be connected to a Controller 69 Pro. I think it will be nice to be able to keep the humidifier outside of the tent and be able to fill it without opening the tent. I have two plants that are almost ready for the bigger tent, so hopefully I'll have it all put together soon.
I've been running this grow at a higher humidity level than the last one since my old one decided to finally go on permanent vacation.

The humidifier works fine but I have to manually turn it on and off if the level gets too high or low. I just saw that they have them available so I'm going to try and order one and, hopefully, they don't run out.

fawnridge

fawnridge

I do something like that. I just forgot to mention it. I move the probe around as the soil gets drier and as it's closer to watering day. I worry somewhat about damaging roots and the possibility of them being infected or otherwise harmed. So I try to find the middle ground (pun intended).
Damage to the roots is my concern when I read about probing in 3 or 4 different areas. I've grown indoor plants, not cannabis, for the better part of fifty years, so I'm not that concerned about over-watering. I will rely on the meter until they move outdoors in May. As it stands, I'm only watering twice a week, same as all my other house plants. The seedlings are getting around 5 ounces of water from a Britta with each watering. I mixed Osmocote into the OP soil when they were planted, so no other nutrients at this time.

Thanks everyone for the insight. Fingers crossed that we get a pound a plant when we harvest.

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

I just got off the phone with them so I guess they're out again but are supposed to be shipping a new batch May 15 so I went ahead and ordered one.

J

Jojo420

That thing is rubbish
Use the tried n true methods of sticking your finger in the pot up to your knuckle, if it's dry water . If it's wet wait til your knuckle says dry.
You can also pick up the pot , if it's light water , if it's heavy wait.
These methods actually work and a big number of seasoned professionals actually do this. Me included.
You will get a feel for it and it is 100% reliable and tested n proven .

Save money for real things you can actually use and depend on.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

That thing is rubbish
Use the tried n true methods of sticking your finger in the pot up

That thing is rubbish
Use the tried n true methods of sticking your finger in the pot up to your knuckle, if it's dry water . If it's wet wait til your knuckle says dry.
You can also pick up the pot , if it's light water , if it's heavy wait.
These methods actually work and a big number of seasoned professionals actually do this. Me included.
You will get a feel for it and it is 100% reliable and tested n proven .

Save money for real things you can actually use and depend on.

Why so much arrogance? ... I have been growing for years now and I completely disagree. I will continue to trust my moisture meter over your finger. I don't know the level of experience your finger has and I also don't know where its been or even if you wash your hands before visiting the grow room so I wouldn't want it touching my plants.

Those meters cost less than $10 USD. I always use them. It's too easy to be inconsistent using your finger because it's 100% subjective and far from reliable. if you feel using your finger is the best method for you, that's fine ... but don't tell others its not needed because it's a cheap and reliable method that is far more consistent and effective than your finger ... guaranteed!

T

Tyrant

I disagree on the part where you're saying "when you get the hang of it you won't need it." I consider using the moisture meter as an "SOP" (standard operating procedure) for the soil grower. The lift to see if it's light method does work but its ambiguous where the moisture meter gives consistency.

So yes, even after all these years I still use and recommend others use a moisture meter. Just my 2 cents. lol

Edit: We water cannabis when the meter reads around 2-3. Usually about every 3-4 days.
I've noticed different moisture readers give different readings and all plants are different. I'm watering like once every 7 days right and and was watering once every 10 days. All depends on how she takes it. Just from my experience I'm not a pro. Moisture meter is a good guide tho.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I've noticed different moisture readers give different readings and all plants are different. I'm watering like once every 7 days right and and was watering once every 10 days. All depends on how she takes it. Just from my experience I'm not a pro. Moisture meter is a good guide tho.

I'm a hobby grower. My first crop was in the 1980's and I've been using those meters for years ...

I don't purchase the ones with a battery. A battery will die and I don't trust their accuracy due to that. I use the ones with the bi-metalic stem. Yes, there will be a little variation between meter brands ... my preference are the ones that have a scale of 1-10 and we usually water when the meter is on about "2." Regardless, I guarantee that there's going to be less variation using a moisture meter over your own finger and the lift method is still too subjective without a scale. Allowing enough dry back after watering is essential for healthy plant production ...

J

Jojo420

MIgrandpaUSA please enlighten us to how much actual currency you have spent since 1980 figuring out how to water a plant ?
And why you still have not figured it out .
Inquiring minds wanna know.

And just for sh!ts n giggles tell me the number of plants you grow at a time and how much you yield in your tent please .
Thank you

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

MIgrandpaUSA please enlighten us to how much actual currency you have spent since 1980 figuring out how to water a plant ?
And why you still have not figured it out .
Inquiring minds wanna know.

And just for sh!ts n giggles tell me the number of plants you grow at a time and how much you yield in your tent please .
Thank you
I have probably run more plants in the last 6 months than you have in your entire lifetime.

Inquiring minds can ask me in private. I'm not up to a public debate with someone who has these arrogant attitudes. It will only end up in a fight since I can't teach anyone "who already knows everything." What I'd like to see is pictures of all your grows so I can verify your experience level. What I see is another attempt at one-ups-manship by the inexperienced grower. We get "know it alls" here all the time.

Lets see examples of your growing abilities. I've been on this board for a long time and I have already demonstrated mine.

J

Jojo420

Did you forget to take your medication or are you always this combative?
We gonna start right here

"I have probably run more plants in the last 6 months than you have in your entire lifetime."

Talk about arrogant, wow.
If my calculations are correct, not using a calculator I estimate somewhere in the range of 6-10 plants in your tent in the last month .So 6 months of that is like say 60 or 70 plants .
Am I close ?

We will deal with this one post at a time

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Did you forget to take your medication or are you always this combative?
We gonna start right here

"I have probably run more plants in the last 6 months than you have in your entire lifetime."

Talk about arrogant, wow.
If my calculations are correct, not using a calculator I estimate somewhere in the range of 6-10 plants in your tent in the last month .So 6 months of that is like say 60 or 70 plants .
Am I close ?

We will deal with this one post at a time

The combativeness is due to you giving incorrect advice. You state that a moisture meter is a waste of money. I say that at under $10 each, a grower should have at least 1 in their tool kit at all times. You say your finger is good enough. I say I don't trust it because its too subjective ... are you getting the same reading every time? No! There's no read out on your finger!!! I've taken issue with you because the #1 source of error for the new grower is watering practices. It should be simple but its not for so many people just starting out. Almost everyone has issues with watering on their first run.

Do you have to have a moisture meter to be successful? No, but its extremely cheap insurance on a successful grow so why not use one!

I am a cloner so its nothing to run 50, 60, 70 plants through my grow rooms (yes plural) in a 6 month time-frame.

J

Jojo420

"The combativeness is due to you giving incorrect advice. You state that a moisture meter is a waste of money. I say that at under $10 each, a grower should have at least 1 in their tool kit at all times. You say your finger is good enough. I say I don't trust it because its too subjective ... are you getting the same reading every time? "
Actually yes. I will explain
When I water in a plant I pick it up , calculate the approximate weight and get a feel for how heavy a fully watered plant is.
I make sure every plant is the same .
Anytime I pick up a plant that feels light I know that plant is drinking water. I calculate how light it is VS how heavy it was.
I do realize this is not an exact measurement on paper.
However after growing thousands of plants in this manner I have developed a feel for when a plant needs water.
I don't overwater or underwater my plants using this method.
I never once said using a moisture meter was wrong.
I said cheap under 10 dollar ones are rubbish and they are. I personally have never has one work correctly for long ,nor has most of the growers in my circle.
Another way of looking at this is you don't know me or the skill level of my finger so you have doubts. Fair enough
But you made this personal
So I'm gonna play along , it's fun
I'm gonna start posting pics of plants that have yielded over 10 pounds dried weight.
Then go backwards toward the tiniest little plants I still have pictures of
This will probably clog your threads until you cry uncle.
You asked for it.
Oh and I love your spunky attitude by the way , this is gonna be fun :)
This is a picture of my Ridgeline garden taken from the seat of the farm tractor.
Plants as far as you can see.
This just a little 10 pound dried weight OG Kush x SourDiesel.
Couple of 9+ pounders , same strain
Rows of big plants all over 5 pounds.

This is my big one . Weighed 11.5 pounds trimmed weight
This was 10+

Have I changed your opinion of my skills at all ?

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

"The combativeness is due to you giving incorrect advice. You state that a moisture meter is a waste of money. I say that at under $10 each, a grower should have at least 1 in their tool kit at all times. You say your finger is good enough. I say I don't trust it because its too subjective ... are you getting the same reading every time? "
Actually yes. I will explain
When I water in a plant I pick it up , calculate the approximate weight and get a feel for how heavy a fully watered plant is.
I make sure every plant is the same .
Anytime I pick up a plant that feels light I know that plant is drinking water. I calculate how light it is VS how heavy it was.
I do realize this is not an exact measurement on paper.
However after growing thousands of plants in this manner I have developed a feel for when a plant needs water.
I don't overwater or underwater my plants using this method.
I never once said using a moisture meter was wrong.
I said cheap under 10 dollar ones are rubbish and they are. I personally have never has one work correctly for long ,nor has most of the growers in my circle.
Another way of looking at this is you don't know me or the skill level of my finger so you have doubts. Fair enough
But you made this personal
So I'm gonna play along , it's fun
I'm gonna start posting pics of plants that have yielded over 10 pounds dried weight.
Then go backwards toward the tiniest little plants I still have pictures of
This will probably clog your threads until you cry uncle.
You asked for it.
Oh and I love your spunky attitude by the way , this is gonna be fun :)
View attachment 1978136This is a picture of my Ridgeline garden taken from the seat of the farm tractor.
Plants as far as you can see.
View attachment 1978137This just a little 10 pound dried weight OG Kush x SourDiesel.
View attachment 1978142Couple of 9+ pounders , same strain
View attachment 1978143Rows of big plants all over 5 pounds.

View attachment 1978144This is my big one . Weighed 11.5 pounds trimmed weight
View attachment 1978145This was 10+

Have I changed your opinion of my skills at all ?

Never questioned your skill. I called you out for your arrogance. Enough said. You've already proven my point. Everything you do is subjective in your grows. You cannot teach a new grower with subjective techniques. You need hard numbers or they have nothing to reference it back to. Does that make your experience bad? I never said that ... it's back to the same issue. Everything is subjective. People have a hard time learning unless its concrete ... especially on an internet forum. For example, what is light enough to be watered to you will be different from someone else without the experience. So stop beating your own drum and actually use your experience to help someone.

Define "light" so that a new grower knows how light the pot needs to be before watering it. You may know personally, but you can't provide a definition that everyone will understand. This is where I'm having a problem ... give the new growers information that they can actually use. They can't use your finger. They can't use your experience picking up the pot.

They can probe the soil with a moisture meter. They can use their finger to determine the difference so they can begin to develop experience and confidence in their abilities. They can't use your experience without a reference point. The moisture meter provides that. I've had zero reliability issues using the bi-metalic moisture meter.

Top Bottom