Using FoxFarm for hydroponic setup

• Thread starter Jeremey
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

@oldskol4evr Honestly with the high N most of these mixes run I wouldnt be topping off past like 20%. I would just drain and fill. You can afford to with salts :D. I think the big thing you are running into is the NH4 building up which will throw a plant south quickly.
i agree and have made plans for smaller buckets next season ,im running a 33 gal thrash can ,that isnt the problem child though,the trellis and vines wrapped all in it is,mama has to stand there holding the lid while i skoot the can from under it to dump out hahahah rush to rinse roots ,fill with 6 5 gal bottle of ro water ,thats just it with the recomendation and in ro water it comes out perfect 5.8 1025 ppm when changed ,after a week back to swinging,now i was running in 100 and better temps outside,think the hotest the water got was 71,so for sure run 5 gal buckets come spring were i can change weekly and have a bucket ready to put under it when i change um out go from there,my plan is to grow pumpkins watermelons ,canaloupe all over the top deck above the outside wall like ivy plants,i had grubs go right threw a 30 lb melon this year 4 of them to be exact,keeping them off ground will nip that bug in the bud,drilled a hole in and out other side all flys and silver fish took care of rest,i picked them up and just drained the insides out ,all the years ive grown never seen this,wont happen again if i can dial in this hydro stuff and outdoors,even have thoughts of recirculating into a res inside the house and tubing run threw the wall just like the cable guy hahahah

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

@oldskol4evr Honestly with the high N most of these mixes run I wouldnt be topping off past like 20%. I would just drain and fill. You can afford to with salts :D. I think the big thing you are running into is the NH4 building up which will throw a plant south quickly.
is this scaling?

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

another thing is when i add to the can it 5 gal at a time,perfect readings,top off res and all good for a day and right back to swanging

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

Problem with NH4 with add backs is that will be the one form of the nute that will accumulate. I'm can almost say with certainty that all of it isnt getting eaten/converted. Is your PH doing wacky things like dropping?
went all the way to 4.9 once,i added potassium bicarbonete and raised it to 6,stayed there a week i guess ,then just took a rail car to 1600ppm ,changed all the shit out started from scratch twice,the triple digits i belive is the issue i just got to meet in the middle with it,cleaned the can with baking soda scrubed it,thinking maybe since it does clean very well that if it absorbed into plastic can it would make ph higher, both times i didnt get any slime or scale,i just asked ive heard a few you guy talk about it on other threads and such.
the hottest day this year went 105 with 108 heat index,it thrived in the temps,when the weather didnt and still hasnt stablized when every thing went south,watermelon isnt really a cool cat when it comes to cold,and 70 here is frezzing to me hahahah

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
went all the way to 4.9 once,i added potassium bicarbonete and raised it to 6,stayed there a week i guess ,then just took a rail car to 1600ppm ,changed all the shit out started from scratch twice,the triple digits i belive is the issue i just got to meet in the middle with it,cleaned the can with baking soda scrubed it,thinking maybe since it does clean very well that if it absorbed into plastic can it would make ph higher, both times i didnt get any slime or scale,i just asked ive heard a few you guy talk about it on other threads and such.
the hottest day this year went 105 with 108 heat index,it thrived in the temps,when the weather didnt and still hasnt stablized when every thing went south,watermelon isnt really a cool cat when it comes to cold,and 70 here is frezzing to me hahahah

LMAO Brah.....
Untitled

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

As a Texas native my body still hasn't adjusted and might never 😂
right loved every were but west texas and get enough of that shit by the border hahaha,like conroe close to trintiy river and lake livinston,dallas was alright,san antonio ehhh houston black hole in the earth,shit every were find a house rebuild sell keeps me on the go hahahah colorado next stop hahahh

Jeremey

Jeremey

Alright guys, after allot of thought, I decided I would test Chris’s theory. I hate giving up on stuff, and my babies aren’t that bad. I can always flush and switch. Again I’m in week 4 bloom. I cut out the Big Bloom. Mixed up half strength Grow Big Hydro, 1/2 strength Tiger Bloom, half strength Beastie Bloom, three in 1/2 strength Bembe, and full strength strength Hydroguard. My PPMs were 1040, EC 1.4, PH 5.6. Came back after first feed at 1010 PPMs, 1.4 EC, 5.6 PH. I should know pretty quick. I’ll document readings, update, and post a few pics come Sunday. Hopefully I won’t be cussing up a storm in 24 hours! If this works, I want it documented for the next farmer. All I found on the web was trash!

Jeremey

Jeremey

Update; second feed one row pushed back a little. PPMs went to 1060, other row went down to 960. I think I’m close. I diluted to 850PPMs, and I’m on a 700 scale. Thinking a 1/3 strength would have responded better if it’s just the total PPMs they aren’t liking. Going to play with it some more unless I see a huge change. Another thing I noticed is that my clones in coco are twice as big as the ones in Rockwool. Ones in coco are future mothers. I emptied me rezs and changed the veg food to General Hydroponics to see how they respond. After mixing, I didn’t even have to adjust the PH. Maybe the substrate plays a roll here. We shall see.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Update; second feed one row pushed back a little. PPMs went to 1060, other row went down to 960. I think I’m close. I diluted to 850PPMs, and I’m on a 700 scale. Thinking a 1/3 strength would have responded better if it’s just the total PPMs they aren’t liking. Going to play with it some more unless I see a huge change. Another thing I noticed is that my clones in coco are twice as big as the ones in Rockwool. Ones in coco are future mothers. I emptied me rezs and changed the veg food to General Hydroponics to see how they respond. After mixing, I didn’t even have to adjust the PH. Maybe the substrate plays a roll here. We shall see.
What substrate? I doubt it will impact the ph. GH was specifically designed for hydro I think fox farms hydro was an after thought. I can't say for certain but thats probably the difference your seeing in ph because of the sources of nutrients used.

700ppm scale is the same as 500ppm scale when comparing ppm it's when it gets converted to EC that it makes a difference.

I think 700-800ish ppm of nutrients is where ya wanna be about now.

Jeremey

Jeremey

What substrate? I doubt it will impact the ph. GH was specifically designed for hydro I think fox farms hydro was an after thought. I can't say for certain but thats probably the difference your seeing in ph because of the sources of nutrients used.

700ppm scale is the same as 500ppm scale when comparing ppm it's when it gets converted to EC that it makes a difference.

I think 700-800ish ppm of nutrients is where ya wanna be about now.
I think that you may be right. I didn’t explain the substrate thing enough. I’m flowering in Rockwool, and next round of babies are in blocks, on a flood and drain table. I pulled out some genetics to make mothers, and put those in coco. New farm, so I’m culling genetics. The clones that went into coco are twice the size of the ones in Rockwool. Same exact food, Grow Big/Big Bloom. Definitely a difference there. Should that really be happening? Or maybe the coco just likes the FoxFarm more than Rockwool?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I think that you may be right. I didn’t explain the substrate thing enough. I’m flowering in Rockwool, and next round of babies are in blocks, on a flood and drain table. I pulled out some genetics to make mothers, and put those in coco. New farm, so I’m culling genetics. The clones that went into coco are twice the size of the ones in Rockwool. Same exact food, Grow Big/Big Bloom. Definitely a difference there. Should that really be happening? Or maybe the coco just likes the FoxFarm more than Rockwool?
Yeah I can't explain it. That may be possible are they getting more light perhaps?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Nope. All are under 4’-8 lamp T5’s
Seeing how I have grown in neither of these idk. I can't see a reason for it though. Same genetics? Possibly root issues to some extent with the rockwool and not in the coco?

Jeremey

Jeremey

Seeing how I have grown in neither of these idk. I can't see a reason for it though. Same genetics? Possibly root issues to some extent with the rockwool and not in the coco?
My first time attempting Rockwool, so not sure. My thoughts were that the organic Big Bloom is just not mixing well in the water. It’s good for a couple of days, then that sediment shows up. I’d guess that the Big Bloom is just not meant to bubble on a Rez for that long

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

My first time attempting Rockwool, so not sure. My thoughts were that the organic Big Bloom is just not mixing well in the water. It’s good for a couple of days, then that sediment shows up. I’d guess that the Big Bloom is just not meant to bubble on a Rez for that long
My opinion is that its the organics in it

Top Bottom