Using Oxygen Generator to increase DO.

• Thread starter pacog
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
soultouch

soultouch

Hi, 9 years late to this conversation, but i spotted at least one or more errors in the FatMan discussion about plant roots only taking up DO Dissolved oxygen and not gaseous o2. First off Air contains about 20% Oxygen, This is 20,000 ppm not 2000 ppm oxygen. [ % times 10,000 = ppm.] Moreover, plant roots obviously take up gaseous oxygen. In any soil / soiless system the air space between particles is where plants roots get their oxygen [Cells in the leaves get plenty of oxygen from photosynthesis, but cells in the roots often need to get oxygen from the environment to stay alive. Even though roots are buried, they can absorb oxygen from the small air spaces in soil.Nov 18, 2004
Plants need oxygen - UCSB Science Line]

These roots are absorbing gaseous O2. Aeroponic, fog systems provide water and oxygen this way. Fatman is correct that most large bubbles simply find path of least resistance and then pop at the surface. Smaller bubbles would be better or at least more efficient, and at most one can only temporarily super saturate the water. How long is temporary, don't know but i would assume roots would benefit. DO meters only measure a max of 20 ppm, tough i have seen some for sale that measure 50ppm. so no matter how much air or even pure oxygen, one will not get a reading above 20ppm with a meter that only measures 20 ppm. An oxygen generator concentrator that pumps 95-99 % pure oxygen would work, but pretty sure the energy economics will not justify the upfront expense or the running expense. I own several O2 concentrators. LOUD as hell and 120v * 6 Amps = 720 Watts for the output of 5 liters per minute of oxygen. So a cheap air pump that minute oxygen vs an air pump that outputs 25 liters per minute would give an equal amount of oxygen probably for far less energy cost, along with nitrogen and other components of air.

It is true that under regular circumstances fresh water is often saturated with only 9 to 12 ppm depending on temperature which is why large growers growing exclusively hydro chill their reservoir water to keep temp around 68% be cause pythium and other root rot diseases explode above those temps because there is too little dissolved oxygen in the water. Fatman is correct that simple pumping of recirculating water or use of eductors or venturi to mix ambent air into water will usually max out DO in reservoir water and should be adequate in elevating oxygen in the root zone. If one finds a way to temporarily pressurize the water in a compressed air chamber one could also super saurate the oxygen level, i think this is HENRYS LAW or Boyles law of pressure and gas
but until i experiment i would not be able to say how long the extra oxygen dissolved would be available. I would theorize that one could invent a combo foold and drain that cycled so frequently that it would serve as a RDWC system only guaranteed to have huge amounts of oxygen between the draining cycle and reflooding with newly mixed and oxygented water. Care would need to be taken not to fry the roots but imagine on could keep the roots dry for mere minutes. I am sure someone out there has tried this already and worked out the timing. If so , please share, it will save me a lot of time
Also, i just acuired a fairly high end DO meter and think i have a way to measure super saturated water oxygen levels, i think i can dilute with BOILED Distilled water. Read somewher that boiled water has almost zero ppm oxygen. I will bil some and repost the numbers, but if true i could dilute by a factor of 10 to 1 distilled boiled water to freshly sampled air stone, air diffuser, eductor, venturi, sprayed water or vigorously mixed water and be able to detect and measure any supersaturation beyond 20 ppm. Let us say one can for even 10 minutes hike the DO level to 50 ppm, one could devise experiments to track differences in growth and biomass. i do know there is some research that too much air can precipitate some nutrients but cannot recall specifically

soultouch

soultouch

A member from the forum which supports the system I grow in has a very high tech infuser.. I asked him about over saturation here's the response.

atlashomeric from Stinkbuddies forums
I checked out the link you posted for correction factors for Salinity concentration and Dissolved Oxygen content. The meter I use has an automatic internal salinity correction. It measures D.O. from 0 to 20 mg/L or ppm. However it's possible to calibrate the instrument to a -10 mg/L reading to measure the D.O. levels up to 30 mg/L. The reason that I'm sustaining 28 mg/L DO is because the device is constantly being fed by an O2 tank. The tank is a 40 lb. tank. The system is passive, using only 1 Cu Ft of O2 per day under a line pressure of 21 psi. The whole theory and design is based on Henry's law of pressure differences. To manipulate the law, the oxygen is ran through a porous tube at a much greater internal pressure than the external pressure (barometric + top pressure of the water). This allows for a true micro diffusion of gaseous O2 into solution with no bubbling, and therefore an almost stable O2 concentration. This concentration of DO can hold fairly stable as long as the water isn't turbulent and the environmental conditions stay the same. This makes for poor use in an aeroponic system because as soon as the water disperses from the sprayer the oxygen concentration is lowered drastically. This infuser works much more efficiently with static DWC systems. Research has also shown that rooting time can be lowered to 2 days with supersaturated O2 levels in the water when cloning.

I've been experimenting with this O2 infusion for a couple months now after months of tedious research. Something else that this seems to work very well for is aerobic compost tea brewing. Some friends of mine own a compost tea brewing business and they asked if I could play around with the O2 levels of their already mixed brew. After throwing the infuser in for a 24 hr period, a tea sample was looked at by their microbiology lab and found to have a much higher count of beneficial bacteria and fungus than previous brews.

The salt in the reservoir does play a role in the amount of oxygen the water can hold– this is evident in my reservoir because my predicted DO level at my temperature and barometric pressure in pure water is supposed to be ~ 36 mg/L. But obviously the nutrients won't allow for anything near that level at my current temps and pressure.

Now if I were at sea level, or 1 atm, I could reach ~32 mg/L DO with this device. To drastically affect the DO levels you would need an incredible amount salt, over 3000 ppms.

I'll post pics of the DO reading tomorrow, I have to refill my O2 tank anyways.
Heck. i just wrote along post below and this post with some answers to my questions was directly above. Great info atlashomeric. On could inject the O2 into a pressurized water tank and up the concentration ecven higher before pumping out to roots but your approach seems very simple and economical use of the oxygen

soultouch

soultouch

I'd like to see you use that pump in a residential or even some warehouse areas. regen blowers are loud!

Listen, im sure your very book smart, but not all of what you are saying adds up. :)

And I do not think you understand where I am coming from with the bubbles. Doesn't matter, im not going to argue textbooks with you. I grow herb. My experience does not happen in a vaccume.

One other thing, you mention the Under Current systems and then say the bubbles are useless. ??

Well pick one, are air bubbles useless or not? Do you think an undercurrent system with no air would do just as good? Thats basically what you are saying and I don't care how book smart you are or how many DO meters you have, the plants will do many times better with bubbles in the root mass.

You might want to try a less condensending tone if you really want to get a real discussion going. Unless you just want to talk text books :)

p.s. I still believe that the bubbles coming into contact with the rootmass raises the oxygen in the rootmass. Prove me wrong :)

soultouch

soultouch

Hi, 9 years late to this conversation, but i spotted at least one or more errors in the FatMan discussion about plant roots only taking up DO Dissolved oxygen and not gaseous o2. First off Air contains about 20% Oxygen, This is 20,000 ppm not 2000 ppm oxygen. [ % times 10,000 = ppm.] Moreover, plant roots obviously take up gaseous oxygen. In any soil / soiless system the air space between particles is where plants roots get their oxygen [Cells in the leaves get plenty of oxygen from photosynthesis, but cells in the roots often need to get oxygen from the environment to stay alive. Even though roots are buried, they can absorb oxygen from the small air spaces in soil.Nov 18, 2004
Plants need oxygen - UCSB Science Line]
These roots are absorbing gaseous O2. Aeroponic, fog systems provide water and oxygen this way. Fatman is correct that most large bubbles simply find path of least resistance and then pop at the surface. Smaller bubbles would be better or at least more efficient, and at most one can only temporarily super saturate the water. How long is temporary, don't know but i would assume roots would benefit. DO meters only measure a max of 20 ppm, tough i have seen some for sale that measure 50ppm. so no matter how much air or even pure oxygen, one will not get a reading above 20ppm with a meter that only measures 20 ppm. An oxygen generator concentrator that pumps 95-99 % pure oxygen would work, but pretty sure the energy economics will not justify the upfront expense or the running expense. I own several O2 concentrators. LOUD as hell and 120v * 6 Amps = 720 Watts for the output of 5 liters per minute of oxygen. So a cheap air pump that minute oxygen vs an air pump that outputs 25 liters per minute would give an equal amount of oxygen probably for far less energy cost, along with nitrogen and other components of air.

It is true that under regular circumstances fresh water is often saturated with only 9 to 12 ppm depending on temperature which is why large growers growing exclusively hydro chill their reservoir water to keep temp around 68% be cause pythium and other root rot diseases explode above those temps because there is too little dissolved oxygen in the water. Fatman is correct that simple pumping of recirculating water or use of eductors or venturi to mix ambent air into water will usually max out DO in reservoir water and should be adequate in elevating oxygen in the root zone. If one finds a way to temporarily pressurize the water in a compressed air chamber one could also super saurate the oxygen level, i think this is HENRYS LAW or Boyles law of pressure and gas
but until i experiment i would not be able to say how long the extra oxygen dissolved would be available. I would theorize that one could invent a combo foold and drain that cycled so frequently that it would serve as a RDWC system only guaranteed to have huge amounts of oxygen between the draining cycle and reflooding with newly mixed and oxygented water. Care would need to be taken not to fry the roots but imagine on could keep the roots dry for mere minutes. I am sure someone out there has tried this already and worked out the timing. If so , please share, it will save me a lot of time
Also, i just acuired a fairly high end DO meter and think i have a way to measure super saturated water oxygen levels, i think i can dilute with BOILED Distilled water. Read somewher that boiled water has almost zero ppm oxygen. I will bil some and repost the numbers, but if true i could dilute by a factor of 10 to 1 distilled boiled water to freshly sampled air stone, air diffuser, eductor, venturi, sprayed water or vigorously mixed water and be able to detect and measure any supersaturation beyond 20 ppm. Let us say one can for even 10 minutes hike the DO level to 50 ppm, one could devise experiments to track differences in growth and biomass. i do know there is some research that too much air can precipitate some nutrients but cannot recall specifically
OOPs, 20 % = 200,000 ppm not 20,000 ppm. In

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

I have an O2Grow 2020, but haven't been able to use it as I shot myself in the foot, losing my last 4 grows due to root rot, which I caused by pushing my watering to every hour. This kept the starter cubes wet 24/7 = root rot= dead plants

One of the things that bothered me about using my O2Grow was the total lack of circulation. That caused me to develop a simple system that saved this grow, although I am still using a air pump (to be safe), I doubt it is necessary

My system is based on the research done regarding structured water (look it up) and that water flowing along a fast moving stream creates a lot of DO, PLUS, as it cascades over the rocks, small energy vortexes develop that further energize the water. First pic is a machine/device I bought to enhance my drinking water, which provided the inspiration.

I took a plastic bottle drilled holes along the sides, but below the water line. The bottle is ~ half full with a combination of small marbles and platonic solids. I attached a 80 gph pump and put it on a deep cycle timer: 3 minutes on 3 hours off. The nutrients are circulating ~ 3Xs through the bottle 8 times /24 hours

First root pic is shortly after installing it, followed by roots now: yes it's the same plant! She's 37" and loaded with bud sites.

Drop by my thread if you want to see her finish

IMG 3588
IMG 4810
IMG 4812
IMG 4837
IMG 4840
Top Bottom