Using Oxygen Generator to increase DO.

• Thread starter pacog
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
L

Lost

My guess is that a Do meter would not even be able to measure the effect I am talking about. Even if my hypothesis is wrong about the way, the how is still the same. It works and without does not. For someone to dispute that has no real DWC growing experience IMO. I think fatman finds knowledge and then regurgitates it without having real world experience. Period. That does not make you smart..

The reason I "worry" about it is because some pompus asshole told me I was wrong when I was not. Generally im an easy going kinda guy but when I really know something to be true, and someone says I am incorrect, im going to get a little riled up.

Crysmatic

Crysmatic

everyone agrees that dwc needs bubbles to work. again, imho, fatman was disputing technicalities, and wasn't telling you that bubbling doesn't work. iow, he didn't acknowledge that bubbling works (directly) and he argued semantics.

we need people who can hash out the fine details, AND people who see the big picture. imo, losing fatman is a loss to the community overall.

M

MediMary

I like interesting debates, ol fatman is banned everywhere, I went to a couple other sites, all banned. he just cant play well with others..

L

Lost

The guy is a dick and has very little to contribute once you get thru all of his contradictions and bullshit. Any college student can type with the condensending tone he does, and many would provide more info while doing so. No fatman is a waste of oxygen. :)

Edit: I believe that in post 6 he tells me im wrong and don't deserve to be posting or some such thing.

I actually try to help the community and have discussion that will actually produce something. He tries to stroke his junk over the internet. :animbong:

MeJuana

MeJuana

Lost I see your posts and I think you are tainted by this crap. Let it go man, you guys weren't even talking about the same thing ever it was like a communication argument anyway. You even at one point stated DO content by temperature and that should have been that for his point, but he kept going with it right? His point was DO and only that and like all know it alls if you have more DO than him your plants are gonna die. I am following journals right now with 80F water temps and using H202 to keep the nasties out, has no choice but to grow like that and he is harvesting his ass off now it isn't pirmo shit but he has smoke. Lost don't worry about fatman bro

Edit: changed less to more on the paragraph

M

MediMary

fatman had some great thought provocative posts, but he was a dickhead, He is banned at almost every site, what good is knowledge if you cant share it without pissing everyone off your trying to share it with. and anyone who likes fatman, just disagree with the guy, and see how long you like him, he will call you every name just cause you have a different opinion that him. thats W-e-a-k S-a-u-c-e!

L

Lost

I really don't mean to be an ass but I am really most concerned about learning and less concerned about how eliteists see me. I have tried to give most of what I have learned in a nuts and bolts way. To go into IQ and how smart someone is, is kinda lame. Either you can apply the knowledge or not.

My time on this earth is limited, I don't have time for the B.S.

I am sorry for being an ass tho.

G

gobbly

I come from a long background of indoor coral propagation, so DO is something I've spent a bit of time researching and experimenting on. But keep in mind, I grow in soil. Just thinking you might be able to take something from this.

A few things to start with is that water does have a saturation level for DO, and this saturation level is mostly dependent on temperature. Cooler water holds more oxygen. All gas exchange happens on the surface, where water meets air. The rate at which it is absorbed has to do with the current amount of oxygen and the surface area of water and air contact.

Bubbles don't have a huge surface area, though they do have some. In fact, unless you have a very tall reservoir, chances are the majority if your gas exchange is at the surface. However, bubbles breaking on the surface do agitate the water, which increases the surface area dramatically; chances are this is a greater source of gas exchange than the bubbles themselves (dependent on conditions of course). Another key is to keep the water circulating. The deeper water is the oxygen poor water, so keeping that moving to the surface makes a big difference in net DO. These benefits can be achieved with powerheads as well, and in most situations more efficiently, however other hydro growers have pointed out that powerheads add more heat than air pumps (not much, but a few watts), and in aeroponics you need bubbles splashing roots from what I understand.

As far as providing additional oxy, the only situation I would consider this in would be if you have a sealed reservoir, especially if it is placed in an oxygen poor environment. In normal environments, especially a plant room where you either have good ventilation, or a buildup of oxygen in the light period, taking the above info into account you should not have a problem hitting saturation point for DO.

L

Lost

But Dizzle, does it work? I have my doubts that that small over priced unit is actually going to do anything..

M

mrdizzle

I couldnt tell you, but the science is behind it. I dont know that it is over priced not a lot to compare too only commerical units, and sometime good things come in small packages.

M

MediMary

those pictures looked pretty amazing though with the dead ass roots, then bam, killer roots again in a few weeks.
good shit. maybe these oxygen generators are good. = )

L

Lost

it retails in the hydrofarm and sunlight supply catalogs for 1500 but can be had for 1300 online.

MeJuana

MeJuana

Lost you have been studying this, I have the nutrient thing I am driven on researching right now so I just wanna ask you this. The infusing thing I am confused about how it works and the exact mission of using it.

Now say oxygen was salt cuz it is easier to visualize. We mix the salt in to the saturation point in the water, you try to infuse more but it just precipitates out, is this right? So then would the mission be to replace the oxygen taken from the water as quickly as possible i.e. large plants could reasonably leave the water at a deficit that would not be replaced quickly enough?

I take a long time to decide on 1300 bucks, but I am not going to need scientific proof just a good reason to install it as a safety. I never wanna burn all the watts that I am burning, and forget to supply something as simple as oxygen LOL

MeJuana

MeJuana

A member from the forum which supports the system I grow in has a very high tech infuser.. I asked him about over saturation here's the response.

atlashomeric from Stinkbuddies forums
I checked out the link you posted for correction factors for Salinity concentration and Dissolved Oxygen content. The meter I use has an automatic internal salinity correction. It measures D.O. from 0 to 20 mg/L or ppm. However it's possible to calibrate the instrument to a -10 mg/L reading to measure the D.O. levels up to 30 mg/L. The reason that I'm sustaining 28 mg/L DO is because the device is constantly being fed by an O2 tank. The tank is a 40 lb. tank. The system is passive, using only 1 Cu Ft of O2 per day under a line pressure of 21 psi. The whole theory and design is based on Henry's law of pressure differences. To manipulate the law, the oxygen is ran through a porous tube at a much greater internal pressure than the external pressure (barometric + top pressure of the water). This allows for a true micro diffusion of gaseous O2 into solution with no bubbling, and therefore an almost stable O2 concentration. This concentration of DO can hold fairly stable as long as the water isn't turbulent and the environmental conditions stay the same. This makes for poor use in an aeroponic system because as soon as the water disperses from the sprayer the oxygen concentration is lowered drastically. This infuser works much more efficiently with static DWC systems. Research has also shown that rooting time can be lowered to 2 days with supersaturated O2 levels in the water when cloning.

I've been experimenting with this O2 infusion for a couple months now after months of tedious research. Something else that this seems to work very well for is aerobic compost tea brewing. Some friends of mine own a compost tea brewing business and they asked if I could play around with the O2 levels of their already mixed brew. After throwing the infuser in for a 24 hr period, a tea sample was looked at by their microbiology lab and found to have a much higher count of beneficial bacteria and fungus than previous brews.

The salt in the reservoir does play a role in the amount of oxygen the water can hold– this is evident in my reservoir because my predicted DO level at my temperature and barometric pressure in pure water is supposed to be ~ 36 mg/L. But obviously the nutrients won't allow for anything near that level at my current temps and pressure.

Now if I were at sea level, or 1 atm, I could reach ~32 mg/L DO with this device. To drastically affect the DO levels you would need an incredible amount salt, over 3000 ppms.

I'll post pics of the DO reading tomorrow, I have to refill my O2 tank anyways.

Top Bottom