Using Silica - what's the real scoop? Contradictory info everywhere

• Thread starter phxazcraig
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
E9noxis

E9noxis

I've been thinking about mixing it in to the soil. I have potassium silicate. It was a once a week feed early on. Stalks got real woody.

Then I hear that potassium silicate takes a while to break down to usable nutrients. So I figure add it into my soil mix.

Same thing? What should I measure in? A blind dump?

Madmax

Madmax

Discontinuing use of Silica didn't effect yield. Aroma and taste unaffected. Seemingly no apparent difference.
Im same mate.ive seen no visible difference using it or not, still had weak branching using it ..probably the only difference that insects cant penetrate the cells as much but whose to know .my yields and quality of smoke are unaffected also..

NorthernOrganics

NorthernOrganics

I've been thinking about mixing it in to the soil.

What should I measure in? A blind dump?
That's what I did. Threw about half a bag into my soil. I did it originally to help prevent pests, but have stronger stems this run, noticably stronger. I'm thinking it's the DE breaking down and supplying silicon..

NorthernOrganics

NorthernOrganics

Only tested it once, about three weeks after I mixed it up. 6.8 or 7. Has plenty of lime in it.

Nikman

Nikman

That's what I did. Threw about half a bag into my soil. I did it originally to help prevent pests, but have stronger stems this run, noticably stronger. I'm thinking it's the DE breaking down and supplying silicon..
Can you be more specific on your ratio of soil to DiaE? Thanks, Chip

Johnlandy420

Johnlandy420

Supporter
Discontinuing use of Silica didn't effect yield. Aroma and taste unaffected. Seemingly no apparent difference.
Almost started thread on this but I’m doing better searching for similar threads first. Did you see any difference in leaf or stem structure at all? I always want to use the bottle sitting on my shelf but I just haven’t for some reason. I value when experienced growers spit the truth.

Ponky

Ponky

Almost started thread on this but I’m doing better searching for similar threads first. Did you see any difference in leaf or stem structure at all? I always want to use the bottle sitting on my shelf but I just haven’t for some reason. I value when experienced growers spit the truth.
I did not. I think my municipal supply already has plenty of Silica. I've tried it in hydroponic DWC. ProMix. And Sunshine. Others do swear by it. No perceptible difference that I could tell. Perhaps a psychological belief the pot was smoother but nothing tangible.

E9noxis

E9noxis

I justvadded 1 cup of potassium silicate into approx 20 gallons of my soil mix

MartyMcFly42oh

MartyMcFly42oh

I started using a product by Alchemist called stout msa, it’s a readily available form of silica to the plant vs something that requires a slow breakdown. This was to combat high temperatures in my environment that were beyond my control last summer. I also started using kelp extract also for the same reason. Both of these additions were to help minimize heat stress. From what I understand kelp helps at a cellular level in the root zone and attacks certain fungus disease, and silica strengthens cel walls to allow better water retention.
I did see hardier stems as a result of this addition, and didn’t lose any plants to high heat, so I guess that it worked.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Imo silica doesn’t effect quality or yield unless it’s improving plant health. Similar to other nutrients where adding more is only beneficial if there is a deficiency related to actual lack of.

what it does do is noticeably increase leaf cuticle thickness, stem strength and harden bud tissue. So it’s only going to benefit you if you feel those are beneficial to you.

better resistance to heat, water, light stress. Better resistance to pests, bacterial fungal and mold infections. It basically thickens the cell walls.

buds can become grinder busters and rock hard if used to harvest. Some see this as a good thing especially common in many dispensary products. Personally after stretch I don’t see a need for it.

just my 0.02 cents

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

View attachment 1235267View attachment 1235267 I use this as the foyer spray during the vegetation process only, then discontinue during flower period.View attachment 1235268View attachment 1235268View attachment 1235267 Cheap and works well!!
Agreed unless like in my case I use potassium silicate as a ph buffer and the both are beneficial to the plants. Some ofIy is transform and not silicon dioxide that is the form in which plants absorb it.

silicon dioxide cannot be used as a buffer and is ph neutralish, which is beneficial if not looking for a buffer

Latest posts

Top Bottom