Using the water in a pool to cool your growroom

• Thread starter washburn4life
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Ohiofarmer

Ohiofarmer

I have to wonder if you guys ever get tired of such contentious and hostile interactions, never seems to be that positive of energy to me...even though the information could and is valuable to the community here, no one reads it because of the other negative silly shit also contained in there.....so it basically become useless....just my .02
yah i feel yah there tex. I think me and squiggs have too much fun bustin eachothers balls lol. Plus squiggs just made it back from a 1 week siesta so I gotta check in and see if it did him any good:).....take it easy

washburn4life

washburn4life

I have to wonder if you guys ever get tired of such contentious and hostile interactions, never seems to be that positive of energy to me...even though the information could and is valuable to the community here, no one reads it because of the other negative silly shit also contained in there.....so it basically become useless....just my .02
texas for this reason why cant the person who started the thread "ME" be able to delete all the bullshit fighting post because halve this thread is about fucking computers and no one but two people give a flying fuck!

squigs and ohio can eat a dick they need to PM each outher not ruin the thread about stuff no one care about

thats how I feel about it

KUSHPILES

KUSHPILES

When my chiller is running properly the water should be coming out into the drain around 100F. I think a 12000G pool would be way too small. This is a guess as I have no experience with a water chiller loop system. Neat idea though1

U

Underground

If you could mist the return water either into a resivoir or directly into pool, it would increase the cooling capacity tremendously. The small amounts of water will tranfer their heat to the air pretty quickly. Think about how hot a bathroom gets with a shower running.

washburn4life

washburn4life

If you could mist the return water either into a resivoir or directly into pool, it would increase the cooling capacity tremendously. The small amounts of water will tranfer their heat to the air pretty quickly. Think about how hot a bathroom gets with a shower running.
this is very true and it is how a cooling tower works, I rember in Chemestry Evapration is a cooling process
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooling_tower

I originaly planned on having some kind of spray on the return and a mister in the center of the pool but The system is too small and start up cost is a bitch

https://www.acwholesalers.com/Goodm...on-14-SEER-Heat-Pump/28980.ac?question=5 ton#

I think this is what im going to buy and get a HVAC TECH to weld my r-410a lineset and do start up

T

tedsprogz

Okay first of all, you're wrong--about everything you said. Literally every single thing.

1. Again the problem is that typically heat exchangers are built with metal. If the dude is buying a system that's already set up for light with PEX or if he's building his own hoods, then that's fine--but that's not the assumption I was working under.

2. As far as water cooled computers, you are extremely wrong about this. Yes I did build the computer myself, but that doesn't matter. Yes you can see it--it's in a weird position so I''ll have to pull it out and snap some photos later. I'll say it again for effect--you are wrong about water cooled PCs there are thousands of them in households all over America and so far as I know not a single one of them is cooled with freon of all things. People have been water cooling PCs for over 10 years. They even have big competitions for people who do it to see who can push their rig the most.

Allow me to introduce you to one of 100s of websites where you can purchase parts to water cool a PC with:

http://www.frozencpu.com/

3. Why so hostile?

just to add, i have built several water cooled pc's...
you don't go with Freon because you would need a compressor, evaporator, condenser, accumulator/dryer etc... and not to mention it bad for you in a closed environment(your bedroom) about 99.999999 percent of what squiggly says is 99.99999 percent accurate, and well thought out before he hits the post button. just sayin

T

tedsprogz

http://www.howstuffworks.com/liquid-cooled-pc.htm

that "liquid cooling" is water dude i have some at my shop on the shelf, its colored water with a little bit of antifreeze.

also those freon hoses get VERY COLD! this is bad inside of a computer, you don't want the water vapor in the air inside of your PC to condense into liquid in and drip onto your motherboard.

Thats why water is used...it runs through your heatsink block, sucking the heat into the water, then is ran through a radiator which cools the water off and repeats...If freon was the better choice, wouldn't you car run the freon to cool it...

also those servers your buddys have are AIR cooled with an AC that run on freon.

T

tedsprogz

but a little off-topic there is a way to use mineral oil to cool your PC, i also have one of those buried at my shop somewhere, the PC is built in a fish tank design, all sealed, then the case is filled with mineral oil and the mineral oil dissipates all the heat and conducts zero electricity. it has a spot above the oil level for hard drives/cd/dvd drives/ etc. i might go dig it up and mess around with it.

ttystikk

ttystikk

So back to wager cooling. I recently noticed that my chiller's set point more or less determines my room's Dew point. This means that if I want my humidity up from where it is, I can either raise the chiller's set point or lower my room temp. Even a few degrees can make a substantial difference.

U

Underground

Yes evaporation is an efficient cooling process. Your own body uses it. AC systems use it. The evaporator is where gases are rapidly released into lower pressure environment before being compressed and starting all over again. And yes much like a cooling tower. That principle is exactly what I was thinking of. Except in a cooling tower, the closed loop of the cooling system is run through a radiator and the mist is sprayed over that. Air is drawn over the radiator evaporating the water as well as providing air cooling.

squiggly

squiggly

just to add, i have built several water cooled pc's...
you don't go with Freon because you would need a compressor, evaporator, condenser, accumulator/dryer etc... and not to mention it bad for you in a closed environment(your bedroom) about 99.999999 percent of what squiggly says is 99.99999 percent accurate, and well thought out before he hits the post button. just sayin

Not to mention loud as shit and prohibitively expensive.

I like Ohiofarmer and all, but he was legitimately just making shit up this time.

feslope

feslope

The hard thing is i need a HVAC TECH to weld the R-410a lines and evacuate the line set, I am a electrician so got that part figured out
Maybe not. Many of the mini-splits are available pre charged with pre charged line sets. You install the units, run the lines and when you attach and tighten the connectors seals break and you are ready to go with the proper refrigerant charge. The hardest part is the electrical and you already have that covered.

Ohiofarmer

Ohiofarmer

Not to mention loud as shit and prohibitively expensive.

I like Ohiofarmer and all, but he was legitimately just making shit up this time.
Study more young egg-roll and you shall see......i've already posted freon setups, ^^^everything posted up there is just typing things that are obviouse in-order to take up space, ofcourse there hasta be a compressor and fan etc! have you never seen any form of cooling mechanic besides water in a tube? lol

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

you could use H2O as a disinfectant in your pool, so no issues there me thinks Right or wrong Squig? You could purchase a rad from the wreckers like I did and run your pool water through it. Brand new 20$, I think you could run the rad for 10+ years without failure IMHO.

or bromine

don't go with AC you will spend 2x on electrical and get 50% of the performance of a CHILLER, hands down. Plus you move it inside in the winter and it heats the house.

IMGP9105

ttystikk

ttystikk

you could use H2O as a disinfectant in your pool, so no issues there me thinks Right or wrong Squig? You could purchase a rad from the wreckers like I did and run your pool water through it. Brand new 20$, I think you could run the rad for 10+ years without failure IMHO.

or bromine

don't go with AC you will spend 2x on electrical and get 50% of the performance of a CHILLER, hands down. Plus you move it inside in the winter and it heats the house.

View attachment 308973

TELL them, my brother! Preach the gospel of water cooling your garden!

I've been saying EXACTLY this same thing for two winters straight now, and it sure is nice to hear someone else gets it.

All I have to do now is figure out how to grow trees like those fucking monsters you crank out with such astounding consistency. Yeah- just in case you didn't think I didn't notice your skillz, Farmer!

ttystikk

ttystikk

Seriously, why would you even want refrigerant lines when you can run water lines instead? The chiller is a self contained unit, you just give it power and pump water through.

Water is roughly 900 times denser than air, and has thermal mass to match. This is why it's so effective at carrying heat around, plus water is easy to pump through hoses. Thus it can be sent throughout a grow op, from room to room, cooling as many spaces and devices as needed.

Cooling costs are reduced by half- and perhaps more, since using your chiller setup to dehumidify means you do not need to buy separate dehuey units. Those dehueys produce heat which the AC units then have to process in addition to the usual loads of lights, ballasts, etc. This all works against itself to create one doozy of a power bill!

It's weird to me that people don't bat an eye at buying a silly little toy chiller for their hydro setup, but can't imagine scaling up the same tech to a size where it might actually be useful? ... and oh yeah, this is another job a chiller can do while cooling and dehumidifying your spaces- cooling your RDWC! And AC won't do this job at all, never mind well.

So instead, just chill...

ttystikk

ttystikk

this is very true and it is how a cooling tower works, I rember in Chemestry Evapration is a cooling process
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooling_tower

I originaly planned on having some kind of spray on the return and a mister in the center of the pool but The system is too small and start up cost is a bitch

https://www.acwholesalers.com/Goodm...on-14-SEER-Heat-Pump/28980.ac?question=5 ton#

I think this is what im going to buy and get a HVAC TECH to weld my r-410a lineset and do start up

Have you done this as yet?

ttystikk

ttystikk

Okay, so back to the original idea of using a pool as a heat sink for a moment.

I was happily parboiling myself last night in my hot tub, when it occurred to me that the power drawn by the tub to maintain water temps when the jets are running is roughly equivalent to the power drawn by a sizeable AC unit.

I know that a heat pump system could easily be set to provide water at an outlet temp of 120, as it often is for providing hot water for a household. This same hot water circuit could easily be sent to a hot tub outside, where it would pass through a water to water heat exchanger. When the hot tub needs heat, a simple pump could push tub water through the exchanger, both heating the tub and providing a highly effective heat sink to a heat pump trying to shed heat from a grow room.

The tub heater is rated at 4500 watts, and runs on its own 30A 240v circuit. It runs all but continuously while the jets are running. Apparently, blowing air through hot water is a very effective means of shedding heat! Someone bring the margaritas!

That's it. I'm going heat pump shopping.

Latest posts

Top Bottom