UV necessary ? Vote

• Thread starter MarsHydroLED
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

Do you think it is necessary to add UV chips to the LED grow light?

• Total voters
shaganja

shaganja

i run agromax pure uv. four hours during peak hours, to imitate the sun. i have reseached uv lights for awhile, and found this is reason kush and other mountain strains are higher in thc. closer to sun, higher uv, plant kickes thc in overdrive to protect the seeds. trics. thcv also, bjt no evidence of cbd. i and my freinds have noticed my gear is stronger this year.

Sativied

Sativied

Ruler of the Whorled
Supporter
“Do you think it is necessary to add UV chips to the LED grow light?”

Only if that LED grow light is specifically created to properly test the effects of UV light on cannabis. Which to date has never been done to an extend that would lead to adding UV to commercial production lights. The research from the 80s can be dismissed and should lead to only one conclusion: that it’s worth researching further. Personally I believe it may be helpful for specific varieties under specific circumstances and with very specific dosage, and thus is generally not useful. It would also be something to combine with an otherwise perfect grow, which unfortunately are still rare.

While THC may be a result of cannabis having evolved to protect itself against UV (there’s some truth to the mountain reference the previous poster mentioned), it does not follow UV will increase that further. Just as we land animals don’t grow extra limbs if we stay on land. Just as red plant doesn’t get any more red if you surround it with predators.

Most importantly, the THC % isn’t the only relevant factor. Certain light conditions lead to an increased THC% not because of an increase of THC, but a decrease in other plant material. This is sometimes evident in results from (C)MH too. Frostier yet smaller buds.

If for example you want to produce THC oil/concentrates, would you rather have 3 ounce of 15% THC bud, or 2 ounce of 20% THC bud. In other words, while you may push the THC% a bit with additional UV light, if you end up harvesting less in weight it may not be worth it after all. On the other hand, if you are in a competitive market where a higher THC% means you can sell your product more easily... Point is, this would have to be tested more extensively, and properly before a solid answer can be given to the question at hand.

shaganja

shaganja

Only if that LED grow light is specifically created to properly test the effects of UV light on cannabis. Which to date has never been done to an extend that would lead to adding UV to commercial production lights. The research from the 80s can be dismissed and should lead to only one conclusion: that it’s worth researching further. Personally I believe it may be helpful for specific varieties under specific circumstances and with very specific dosage, and thus is generally not useful. It would also be something to combine with an otherwise perfect grow, which unfortunately are still rare.

While THC may be a result of cannabis having evolved to protect itself against UV (there’s some truth to the mountain reference the previous poster mentioned), it does not follow UV will increase that further. Just as we land animals don’t grow extra limbs if we stay on land. Just as red plant doesn’t get any more red if you surround it with predators.

Most importantly, the THC % isn’t the only relevant factor. Certain light conditions lead to an increased THC% not because of an increase of THC, but a decrease in other plant material. This is sometimes evident in results from (C)MH too. Frostier yet smaller buds.

If for example you want to produce THC oil/concentrates, would you rather have 3 ounce of 15% THC bud, or 2 ounce of 20% THC bud. In other words, while you may push the THC% a bit with additional UV light, if you end up harvesting less in weight it may not be worth it after all. On the other hand, if you are in a competitive market where a higher THC% means you can sell your product more easily... Point is, this would have to be tested more extensively, and properly before a solid answer can be given to the question at hand.

Just like anything solid about cannabis research. We are all just experimenting with the guidance of our peers. We have been waiting for science to step in with full fledge research. Example: we have yet to breakdown the cannabis genome. We don't even know how many cannabinoids there are. Until then, Lets keep testing!!!

MarsHydroLED

MarsHydroLED

Premium Member
Supporter

Very interest point, it seems that there is a tipping point, over it, no use. 🧐
We notice that some growers will purchase the UV light add it to their room, many LED grow light also do the UV chips on the LEDs, that because to make it more sunlight-like, better for plants growing, the real aim is not the THC, here is light, only 4 UV chips
UV chips

SP250chips

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

UVB is proven to add up to 5% thc even if only used the last two weeks of flower.

The UVA in led lamps (no uvb led diodes available) does not increase thc. There is some evidence that it increases flavanoids in some plants. It is added because of hype in led. Not science.

Best to just accept “its all hype” in weed products and avoid any products with bs advertising.

Bmg1982

Bmg1982

I vote in favor of UV-B at least, definitely noticing an improvement all around in concentrates in product grown under 315 cmh.

Seeing promising results so far out of 600w Ceramic HPS as well, although that lamp puts out minimal amounts of UV-B.

adeel06

adeel06

we were only speaking of the UV part being helpful during the flowering sage and causing potential harm to some plants. most of this theory as far as i can tell, there is to much information on lights that is released by the manufacturer. i voted NO as i feel like the added cost of a few red dots here and there are going to be more hype than homerun!! would love to be proved wrong. my spider farmer have a couple red strips and my plants love these lights as do i. i've bought two and have another one on the way!!
i suffered a TBI years ago and never gave it a thought till my shrink gave me this 3 test with puzzles and shit etc etc and well i of course thought i crushed it as any adult would. gramar, short story retention, simple color shape puzzles, spatial awareness etc. long story short i failed hardmode... it was a odd day but explained a lot.

OG
You spell just fine buddy! I think Adding Agromax PureUV or California light works Uv product would do wonders for anyone’s garden. Just my opinion; take it for what its worth.

Crustified

Crustified

I'm currently looking at this, seems like it could be a great addition.

Run it on a timer in the last 3 weeks of 12/12 for 2hr?

I'm not sold on led for UV supplementation. These UV lights are pretty engery efficient and it would only run for 2hrs a day for a couple weeks...

Any thoughts on this fixture with a flower power bulb?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Adding UV chips on LED right now is not really the ideal option for UV. They only provide minimal amounts of UVA imo if your going to supplement UV at the current time stick to florescent UV sources... agromax, solocure etc etc. They not only provide large amounts of UVA but also UVB and should be used with extreme caution to personal safety.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Does anyone run a reptile light with a UVB bulb? Seems like the most cost effective option.
Would actually cost a lot more. Those bulbs are more than a 4 foor agro max that puts out a lot more uva uvb. The agromax are like $25

Latest posts

Top Bottom