Vegan Hash Caramels

• Thread starter NaturalTherapy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
NaturalTherapy

NaturalTherapy

Lighthouse
Supporter

A patient of mine is lactose intolerant, so all my edibles are made without dairy products.

Ingredients:
1 cup margarine
2 cups sugar- one unrefined cane, one brown
2 cups coconut milk
1 cup brown rice syrup
1 tbs vanilla
23g ice hash*
2g hash oil*

makes 100 doses

*hash ingredients and amounts subject to personal tolerence level. For my ridiculous tolerence, I find this amount to be perfect. One caramel relieves the pain of my chronic dislocated shoulder, two caramels and I have to remind myself not to smoke or vape for the rest of the day. I haven't ever seriously considered taking three, as two will knock me up, down & around.

When I process hash for food, I find the most effective method for dislodging the greatest amount of resin glands from the starting material is to rub my bud/leaf through a loose screen until thoroughly pulverized, then put in the freezer. Then I run through the bags as I would all others, only not straining through as many bags, just 220, 160, 45, & 25. The resin comes out being dry as kief, and the yield is always more than if I had not run through the screen. NOTE: I would never dry sift any material I planned on extracting and pressing into smokable bubble, since quality is diminished as a result of plant material "contaminants", which I find serve to provide a more complete cannabinoid profile in one's edibles.

I'm currently rendering the 23g of hash into 1/2 cup of coconut milk
Hashmilk

I suddenly remembered I had a bit of everclear extracted hash oil in the freezer, and decided to drop it in once the rest of the hash was evenly dissolved all throughout the milk.
Oil milk

Now I 'm gonna add a small splash of milk, cover the top, and to simmer on LOW until the milk and hash have been stewing for 24 hours
23g hash

Love & Light

NaturalTherapy

NaturalTherapy

Lighthouse
Supporter
To Continue...

It's important to let the cannabis product render for 24 hours, to allow all the available THC and other cannabinoids to become fat soluble. After slow cooking the "hashmilk" for 24 hours, I jar it until it's ready for use
Jar hashmilk

The Process:

MEDIUM HEAT!!
Be patient, cook slowly

1. Melt margarine into large pan, I use a large 8 quart boiling pot to avoid any boiling over.
2. Add 1 cup brown sugar, mix until dissolved.
3. Add 1 cup cane sugar, mix until dissolved.
4. Add Brown Rice Syrup and one cup of coconut milk (without the hash), and mix until it's all one color and consistency.
6. Add the "Hashmilk" product and mix thoroughly

The mix should resemble a golden brown liquid, and will quickly begin to boil rapidly.
Boiling hash

**If it's your first time making caramels, then a candy thermometer is highly recommended. But frankly, I get high, and I end up dropping the entire meter into the mix half way along the process almost every time, usually resulting in my having to judge by consistency- which I personally find more reliable a method than the thermometer.
As the mixture heats and boils, it will thicken (caramelize), and you can use it's consistency to properly judge when to remove it from the heat. As you mix the caramelizing substance, notice how it behaves. First it is liquid, but as it heats, it begin to coagulate, and stick to itself to the degree that you will begin to see the bottom of the pot as you stroke the caramel.

That is the sign of completion!
Pull the mixing spatula from front to back, and if you create a valley that immediately collapses upon itself, it is ready.
This process relies on an intuitive understanding of cooking, and is easily replicated once performed.

However, if you're a more scientific-method type, then you are shooting for 245 degrees fahrenheit, at which point the boiling mixture is removed from heat

Once removed from the heat, add the vanilla while the mixture is still hot and viscous and mix evenly.

I lined a 12x8 inch baking pan with wax paper and poured the mix into it to cool.
Pan

This recipe with the amount of hash added yields 100-200 doses, depending on weight and tolerance.

Non smoker dose= 1 marble sized chunk
High tolerance users require 2 to 3 times the amount.

Recommended dose:
1 piece every 8 hours or,
2 pieces every 8 hours if you are staying home and resting

Test and consume CAREFULLY!!

I can't stress this enough.
This recipe is made by and for those Medical Cannabis users who have a cultivators' tolerance, and/or require very concentrated doses of edible marijuana to alleviate their woes.

Enjoy!

Love & Light
aNT

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
thx for sharing - those are both great recipes

good shit

NaturalTherapy

NaturalTherapy

Lighthouse
Supporter
be careful

I was just cooking up another batch of these wonderful caramels, and it occurred to me to mention an important point:

I'm making them with hash from a near-full sativa, so if anyone tries these, absolutely use a sativa strain if you use this much hash, and be very careful with your dosage size. When I use an indica or hybrid, I use closer to 11 to 15 grams per batch for a very powerful dose. The last time I made them with a burmese kush, I used 15g, and it was just the right amount for me personally, but several of my people can't use them for anything but sleeping aids.

Love & Light

M

mal

Premium Member
Supporter
Sounds Delicious

Those sound incredible, I just made some hash butter that was pretty potent. Never made any candy, but might give this a try. Take it easy

mal

NaturalTherapy

NaturalTherapy

Lighthouse
Supporter
You will love them, whatever strain you use, they end up tasting more like that than a caramel flavor. And NO dank or green flavor whatsoever is a great bonus

phenotyper

phenotyper

Thank you so much for sharing this recipe. As someone with extremely high tolerance, I cannot wait to try making a batch of these. I really appreciate the hard work and the sharing of information!

M

mal

Premium Member
Supporter
Question

How do you cut the 100 pieces, and make them somewhat consistent

mal

NaturalTherapy

NaturalTherapy

Lighthouse
Supporter
Thank you so much for sharing this recipe. As someone with extremely high tolerance, I cannot wait to try making a batch of these. I really appreciate the hard work and the sharing of information!

Glad to share my friend, hope you get the relief you are looking for.

NaturalTherapy

NaturalTherapy

Lighthouse
Supporter
How do you cut the 100 pieces, and make them somewhat consistent

mal

Good question Mal, glad you asked since I forgot to address it previously. This last batch I made I got just over 100 pieces at two different dosage levels.

For myself, the dose I prefer is about 10g- or approximately 1 and 1/2 teaspoons--
Scoop

Once you get the desired amount, it is easy to roll the chunk around in the scoop to get a nice ball that's easy to work with
Ball

I made 40 doses at this size.
For the rest of the batch, I got just over 60 1tsp (6-7g) size pieces that I share with a couple patients.

Edibles of this strength are to be used very carefully. I give a few to my Mother, who doesn't use cannabis otherwise, and she splits each 1tsp piece into at least 5 sections, and does not exceed more than one section in a 4 hour period to ensure she feels as little psychoactive effect as possible.

It seems to me that most people have a threshold for any type of medication, and doses of cannabis medicine up to that threshold are effective medicinally, though not psychoactive. But once the dose exceeds the threshold, every bit after that can be volatile.

For me personally, if I eat any bit more than 2 of the 1tsp size pieces, I can't do much more than sit around with an emotionless expression.

For light users, not much more than a pea sized bit is necessary to achieve a fully-manageable medicated state for 4+ hours.
A non smoker ate half, not heeding my warning, and spent the day with motion sickness, tunnel vision and extreme paranoia- probably put him off cannabis for good because he didn't listen to my recommendation as regards dosage.

Have fun recognizing your threshold, and pushing the limits when you can!

Love & Light
aNT

C

cheech

? was regarding time in coco milk... Looks like 24 hours is enough... Some recipes have the weed in the fat soluble whatever for days to extract the thc.

Is it the coco milk that makes it vegan?

I'll post a pic and let you know how they came out. Really excited for this... Butter recipes all taste like shit(pot) to me and I can't choke em down. I need a easy dose that can be swallowed down it it doesn't taste to good.

NaturalTherapy

NaturalTherapy

Lighthouse
Supporter
24 hours, over the lowest heat my stove or crockpot can do, NEVER coming to a boil, is my method. I cover the pot to trap the vapor/condensation as well.

The coconut milk in place of animal milk, and margarine instead of butter make these vegan.

I'd be very surprised if you had any trouble with the taste of these caramels, but if you do, strain the hash from the milk after cooking it and you won't have much flavor but the caramel. I like the hash flavor personally- and find it to be the plant material itself that leeches that green, heavy skunk/ plant flavor into whatever it's processed in. The greatest part about using 25-25 grams of hash in this recipe is the dosage size. I hated eating a huge piece of sugary food that did nothing to me and tasted like I was chewing a stem, this recipe solves both problems. In fact most people I give them to have at least one over indulgence experience, because they taste so good, but rarely make the mistake twice due to the overwhelming sensation that comes with slightly too much of this stuff. You'll find your dose easy enough within a couple of days

Enjoy!

M

mal

Premium Member
Supporter
Overdoing It

I once made a batch of brownies with the shake left from a lb, I'd say it was about an ounce of shake. All I did was add the shake to a brownie mix that came in a box. After making and while cutting up the brownies I made some bits, pieces that I fed my dogs 1 pit and 2 mini dauchsunds. I ate 3 brownies and was heading to town when one of the mini's started wobbling and fell over. So I picked him up and put him on the couch, then I noticed his mother sitting on the top/back of the other couch. I sprinted and caught her as she fell off of the couch, she was sound asleep. I told my wife I was going and she said if the dogs were this bad how where we gonna be, so I stayed I had something to do. Well soon enough me and my wife found ourselves on the couch hoping we wouldn't get any higher. We sat there for 6 hours never moving staring at the Tv praying that we wouldn't get any higher, which we seemed to do until about the end when it just left. Eating too much weed can be scary, I went to get me a couple more the next day, we still had 4/5 of them left. I couldn't find them so I asked my wife, she said she threw them away because they were going to hurt someone LOL(everyone was fine)

mal

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
24 hours, over the lowest heat my stove or crockpot can do, NEVER coming to a boil, is my method. I cover the pot to trap the vapor/condensation as well.

The coconut milk in place of animal milk, and margarine instead of butter make these vegan.

I'd be very surprised if you had any trouble with the taste of these caramels, but if you do, strain the hash from the milk after cooking it and you won't have much flavor but the caramel. I like the hash flavor personally- and find it to be the plant material itself that leeches that green, heavy skunk/ plant flavor into whatever it's processed in. The greatest part about using 25-25 grams of hash in this recipe is the dosage size. I hated eating a huge piece of sugary food that did nothing to me and tasted like I was chewing a stem, this recipe solves both problems. In fact most people I give them to have at least one over indulgence experience, because they taste so good, but rarely make the mistake twice due to the overwhelming sensation that comes with slightly too much of this stuff. You'll find your dose easy enough within a couple of days

Enjoy!

true dat hash edibles taste the best!

C

cheech

Step 1 complete. Looks like the original starbucks drink. Wonder if I could get this shit through the air port.... Sippin on that I'd be fucckked up!

Next time I think I'm gonna take your advice NT and do a pot within a pot 'simmer' and use the starbucks bottle so the leftover hash isn't stuck to the pan ya know.

Tomorrow I'll get cookin and report back.

Rsz dscf0166
Rsz dscf0165
NaturalTherapy

NaturalTherapy

Lighthouse
Supporter
My friends love adding the milk to their coffee. Funny, it really does look like the original stuff in that bottle. Last time I made a round I forgot to clean it while it was hot and my Woman had a hell of a time working through it, and made sure to let me know it was unacceptable. Hahaha.
I'm glad you're trying them out Cheech, you're going to enjoy them very much. They go a long way.

What strain(s) did you use?

C

cheech

LOL, regarding your girl. My g/f also looks at edibles as being evil and dangerous after her experience.

That's great to hear about the coffee, because I'm going to see a movie with my mom this evening and we're going to meet at Starbucks before! I'm going to bring a vial of it!

It was 100% spice of life donk hash. Next round will be a mixture of Chemdog D, 4, and od.

C

cheech

God dammit. I burnt mine. It was tasting fucking awesome, but then started boiling over when I last checked... I wasn't using a thermometer, but I wasn't able to spread it apart for a bit like you described. It was too viscous. As soon as it started to boil over I poured it on wax paper thinned it out and it hardened up FAST. Think I just cooked it too long?

C

cheech

It's not so bad now that I'm sucking on it instead of chewing it. Coffee flavor. I'm totally in the process of over indulging right now. Wish me luck.

Top Bottom