Vertically Challenged :)

• Thread starter Desertboy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Desertboy

Desertboy

IoL7Vy93.gif

11 days of growth (Although the first 9 had an extra 3 days)

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Love how you gif'd that! I'm astonished at the growth rates you're showing here, too. I honestly didn't think they'd do it being grown vertically.

Desertboy

Desertboy

Love how you gif'd that! I'm astonished at the growth rates you're showing here, too. I honestly didn't think they'd do it being grown vertically.

Trust me :)

Also remember I don't have co2 and these are in compost not hydro both of those would make things even faster lol.

I find growth rates are faster vertically I think because you can light more of the plant evenly, in a standard horizontal more plant is shaded. A lot is down to trimming, I took larger fan leaves off to let the lower tips grow out, they were topped to bush the plants out as well and I will trim the shit out of them at least once more I won't add a net for support until stretch is over in case I need to rearrange them it's fun have a stackable planter lol it's like a jigsaw how to put it together and fit it all in the tent and get maximum out of a light. I do wonder though looking at mine how the hell you're meant to get 300 plants round a collesium or 144 in an ecosystem lol.

I want to see a US grower with air con, co2, etc tackle this :)

Click my sig link and I did quick guide how to make animated gif's in gimp for free.

Last edited:
Desertboy

Desertboy

Can't sleep had a bad cold and the weather is cold in UK, went grow shop but they didn't have the reflector I wanted and I was so late yesterday I missed the cut off point to get it for today so it will be tomorrow before I can add the other light. Plants are certainly stretching now and bushed out a lot.

Desertboy

Desertboy

It occurs to me I have may have 3 plants too many or 3 plants too few (3 plants = 1 stack) given how much they are bushing out I might try and rearrange them one last time to give a more L shape but then my drainage won't work for some of the plants so need to think about this a bit more. The other solution is gift them to a friend who will slip under a 250w as it would be a shame to kill them off but I have some wiggle here.

This is what I should have done so I had the option to move the plants into this shape which now I probably am going to have to do anyways lol. but with 1 stack of planters too few.

Floor plan

Originally I was going to turn a 1.2m tent upside down and get a 1.2m*1m pallet and 1 sheet of 8*4 ply cut that in 1/2 and screw both pieces of ply to the pallet so the tent fit perfectly on the pallet and use the top port of the tent (Now the bottom) to run the drainage through so with a 4*4 tray I would cover the whole floor space then in the corner where I want my heater and electrical equipment sat in 2*2 tray (Which I have loads) so they isolated from the drainage. Then I would get the full 2m grow height as I have about 2.4m ceiling height.

Plan ahead should be the lesson I will not learn!

So so glad didn't go with 36 clones lol, whenever I do this again I will veg for 0 days in these pots but I will root the clones slightly larger next time directly into coco/fytocell will go hydro whenever I try this again.

Last edited:
Desertboy

Desertboy

Finally got another reflector today from the grow shop was an interesting day they were rearranging the pots when I got there into the shape I made the drawing of above and hanging the reflectors so I grabbed some photo's. The bottom reflector is hung off the bottom of the top reflector. The shop punches 4 holes into each corner of the reflector for you which is nice.

DSC00295

I timed it perfectly lol because I have to take down the reflector and then rehang with another reflector tonight as I wondering how to do it. I couldn't work out how to hang the reflector diagonally but they got it spot on very easy to change both angle and how wide the reflector is if you want to flatten it out.
DSC00292

See how they chained the pots to the top of the tent I really should do that after I restack them tonight they've been very stable just free standing but when they develop buds they will get front heavy and topple into the lights which would be a bad bad thing.

Lights on is not for 5 hours and I don't want to disturb the dark period so I will wait till 5 mins before light on and go unplug the contactor and and another lamp and restack then plug contactor back in lol wouldn't fancy restacking lights on but is totally possible.

Desertboy

Desertboy

Right missed lights on so going to have to turn lights off for a bit still trying to build up courage this is going to be a mission to sort this out this evening lol.

And until I install the 2nd lamp I have no idea of temps so that could be fun to :)

Fuck it like everything in life we try something there's a problem and we solve and sometimes it actually works ha ha ha!

Desertboy

Desertboy

The last photo of the plants how they are now, turned the lights off 15 mins when cooled off I will get o work next time you see them things will be very different :) Little pots are going tonight they've been slipped in and out every day from a cfl to this tent to keep them in veg friend is having them at weekend with other clones I have left no more mum this will be the last run till after summer.

Desertboy

Desertboy

Restacking wasn't kind to the babies!

DSC00304

I left them too long before restacking which I already knew should have restacked last weekend. Not a good idea to let the plants grow into each if you intend to restack them lol.

It's all ok though because overnight
DSC00306

and we've almost recovered, this is the first time I examined the plants properly and notice the stems need beefing up so breaking the organic only and adding liquid silicon from now for 2 weeks by then stretch will be over and bud formation will have begun properly we are already starting to smell.

DSC00308

I have very minor LSF but not going to do anything about it, will add net for the plants to grow into and cable tie it to the tent hanging bars

Last edited:
Desertboy

Desertboy

44C overnight due to fan controller failure :( luckily we appear to still be here ok so I turned the lights off (They were due to go of 10 mins later and left tent door open for 10 mins whilst the heat disapated. Now a more sensible mid 20's C.

I have a phase angle controller that's more than capable to dim anything I throw at it so I will use it that as a fan controller. I bought the phase angle controller to control a 3kw hot plate.

DSC00310

Desertboy

Desertboy

Finally sorted temps out was struggling this week too cold lights off and too hot lights on once I added the 2nd lamp I have no doubt it cost me a little they stretched more than I would have liked but I will supercrop to compensate and vget that net in there.

weariedjuggl

weariedjuggl

Looks really fun! Always wondered about different ways to do soil vertical grows. My only question is why the reflector(s). I thought the biggest benefit of vertical was the ability to stack plants around the bulb so you don't lose photons to any reflectors. Granted your canopy size already grew. Looking forward to seeing more :)

weariedjuggl

weariedjuggl

I'm not sure if it really matters to you but OMRI rates potassium silicate (what I think you liquid silica is) as organic for foliar feeding only. So if you were to foliar the liquid silica then some of the organic world would still recognize it.

Desertboy

Desertboy

Looks really fun! Always wondered about different ways to do soil vertical grows. My only question is why the reflector(s). I thought the biggest benefit of vertical was the ability to stack plants around the bulb so you don't lose photons to any reflectors. Granted your canopy size already grew. Looking forward to seeing more :)

My tent isn't big enough you need a 1.5m to make a proper donut and 24 plants (This will go around 1.2m to go to the top of the tent you would need either to veg longer with a taller strain or do 36 plants.)

I should have built it in an L shape that would have given me exactly twice as much grow area and you can flatten out the reflector more which will diffuse less light which should in turn increase efficiency.

Problems after temp spike my plants have suffered at the top of the tent most, one of the plants the poorly looking one is scrap I'm going replace it with 2 clones I had left with 0 veg so they will end up getting only ~52 days lol be interesting to see what they finish like. Some of the other plants have leaf burn but they're ok nothing drastic I had to up the ventilation considerably to handle the 2 lamps and up the heating to handle the cold weather.

I'm am itching to try this with 24 plants and 1kw hps in a bigger tent :)

A squatter indica would be good too if I did this in a larger tent I would make 4 sides and do 4 different strains to work out which one or 2 strains work best for me.

Desertboy

Desertboy

Was a few days before I could get over and check the plants they had suffered somewhat but they're still going ok they desperately need netting which I've now got so that's tonights job.

The drainage try was pointless lol as we patched the holes in the tray and let the plants suck the run off back up. That's the main reason I haven't netted it yet because I might remove the pallet and reclaim that extra 8" first.

once netted the plants need only another 3-4 days and will totally cover the grow area the tops plants have suffered the most (See the yellow leaves and slow growth) which is obvious turn fans off for 2 days and get temps over 40c, hot air rising it's all a recipe for disaster. I expect these plants to stop stretching in about 5 days. The difference side lighting makes is extreme these plants normally stretch to almost 90cm they will finish around 60cm so 33% less stretch when side lighting!
DSC00315
DSC00316

Desertboy

Desertboy

Wall

Filling out nicely and bud is finally starting to form I think we stunted them slightly with temps over 40c for 2 days but they seem to be ok I did consider killing them and replacing them with fresh clones but I will run with it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom