As Designed Very slow when clicking on thumbnails

• Thread starter UNITEDGROOVES
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
UNITEDGROOVES

UNITEDGROOVES

It is taking a long time for picture to load when clicking on thumbnails.. even longer if it has multiple thumbs in the thread.. It happens on a mac, PC running chrome and FF, still same problem.. Any ideas why it takes so long?

thx

T

TECK

Is normal, most users load HUGE images and we send the data through SSL. :)
I explained into How-To but I'll repeat myself: When you open the image viewer, let it open and the images will load in about 30 seconds if we are talking about a post with 10-15 large images. You are trying to load "instantly" about 10MB of data, so the more attachments you have on a page the slower it will go. :)

organicness

organicness

Yea, I realized shortly after the new site was up it's loading ALL of the images at once when you click the first one vs one at a time like most other sites out there. It all evens out, I guess. I love being able use my scroll wheel to flip through the pics, though. Couldn't do that before.

jawnroot

jawnroot

Can't enjoy the site if the webpage is getting in the way of said enjoyment ;). Not trying to be a nit, I love thcfarmer and think you guys are doing a great job with everything, but realistically images are a big part of the experience and if they don't load 50% of the time that's a problem.

Using a Q6600 based PC with Vista Professional x64 and a brand new MacBook Air i5, so hardware def isn't the issue. Tried Chrome, Safari, Firefox and also Perfect Browser on my iPad. Have also tried on multiple networks all tested at 16+ MB/sec download speed.

logic

logic

Administrator
Staff
Can't enjoy the site if the webpage is getting in the way of said enjoyment ;). Not trying to be a nit, I love thcfarmer and think you guys are doing a great job with everything, but realistically images are a big part of the experience and if they don't load 50% of the time that's a problem.

Using a Q6600 based PC with Vista Professional x64 and a brand new MacBook Air i5, so hardware def isn't the issue. Tried Chrome, Safari, Firefox and also Perfect Browser on my iPad. Have also tried on multiple networks all tested at 16+ MB/sec download speed.

Well something is wrong with your computer or your configuration then.

Because i have an old macbook and a very slow internet connection (my interent connection is 16x slower than yours jawnroot) and everything works perfect here :)

jawnroot

jawnroot

Well something is wrong with your computer or your configuration then.

Because i have an old macbook and a very slow internet connection (my interent connection is 16x slower than yours jawnroot) and everything works perfect here :)

I believe it's a case of the way the pic system works. If it's sitting there downloading every single picture in a series then yeah, it might take some time. But with everything fast-paced/"instant on" with the internet having to sit there for 30-60 seconds and waiting for pictures is a pain. Maybe others disagree, but for me it's pretty tedious. I really think you should take a closer look at the way the picture system is implemented. New users coming to the sight will just assume it's broken and leave. The fact that there's a thread here about it indicates it's an issue, at least for some people.

logic

logic

Administrator
Staff
I believe it's a case of the way the pic system works. If it's sitting there downloading every single picture in a series then yeah, it might take some time. But with everything fast-paced/"instant on" with the internet having to sit there for 30-60 seconds and waiting for pictures is a pain. Maybe others disagree, but for me it's pretty tedious. I really think you should take a closer look at the way the picture system is implemented. New users coming to the sight will just assume it's broken and leave. The fact that there's a thread here about it indicates it's an issue, at least for some people.

Like TECK said before. Just enjoy the site and let us worry about the tech stuff. :)

leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
FYI< Just to give another perspective into the matter. The carousel for thumbnail is missing a loading dialog for the image viewer. Spinning wheel, progress bar or something.

So that could throw people off.

Thanks for all your hard work.

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
From a code perspective you can have the image load sequentially so the user can view the first image while the rest are loading, rather than waiting for them all to load. From a usability perspective a loading bar or some type of progress indicator would be helpful.

However, these are minor details, an I'm sure the team is focused on getting the new thcbay back up and running.

outwest

squiggly

squiggly

This reminds me about a Louis C.K. bit where he talks about a guy that got mad when the in-flight internet went down on their plane (a feature that was newly implemented beginning with that flight).

He sorta talked about how it's ridiculous to complain about not being able to beam photons from earth to a satellite and back to the airplane--when that would've been completely impossible a few years ago. Why no complaints then?

I got into the internet early--and so I remember 14.4kbps modems. Try downloading a song for 4 days and get back to me about tedium :) Also not trying to be a nit, but the site looks great and has functionality beyond what your wildest dreams could've suggested would be possible to you when you were born.

Edit:

Not to mention you had to download that song through an IRC client because HTML and the various browsers were so unstable that downloading anything for more than 30 minutes was basically out of the question.

jawnroot

jawnroot

If this is the admin's attitude I'll just mosey on to one of the competing sites. Later, farmers.

T

TECK

New users coming to the sight will just assume it's broken and leave. The fact that there's a thread here about it indicates it's an issue, at least for some people.
Whoever complains about images loading slow is because they don't read the How-To written by us to help people understand how images work. The info is stuck at the top of every single page for newcomers and highlighted in red bold, you cannot miss it... but you have to do a little effort and read it.
If this is the admin's attitude I'll just mosey on to one of the competing sites. Later, farmers.
You obviously are the type of person who expects to get everything, without being capable to take some constructive criticism or adjust to other members opinion. That's not how things work in real life. Have a great day.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I have another question, haven't searched yet because this is the first time it happened to me (and I'm sorry, but I didn't save the thread and link, I should have! hopefully it'll be updated so I can try it again). I'm curious if this is an 'as designed' thing, or what, but this morning I clicked on a photo and it took me away from the thread itself, to just the photo. I didn't notice if it was a gallery-stored photo or an attachment (can't recall at this moment, this Northern Lights is that good). In other words, I was redirected, and had to alt+<-- to get back to the page I was viewing. I could swear that most of the time it opens up a new tab for me, or if I simply mouse over attachments then I get a darkening over the page and the photo or slide show appears, without ever redirecting me.

Is that making sense?

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
I have another question, haven't searched yet because this is the first time it happened to me (and I'm sorry, but I didn't save the thread and link, I should have! hopefully it'll be updated so I can try it again). I'm curious if this is an 'as designed' thing, or what, but this morning I clicked on a photo and it took me away from the thread itself, to just the photo. I didn't notice if it was a gallery-stored photo or an attachment (can't recall at this moment, this Northern Lights is that good). In other words, I was redirected, and had to alt+<-- to get back to the page I was viewing. I could swear that most of the time it opens up a new tab for me, or if I simply mouse over attachments then I get a darkening over the page and the photo or slide show appears, without ever redirecting me.

Is that making sense?

Yes, I've seen it once or twice with thumbnail images. . .

outwest

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
So you've been redirected away from the thread (but from the site? I know there's been a problem with people linking to off-site images, imageshack, etc), on occasion, too? I'm glad it's not just me.

El Cerebro

El Cerebro

What's up with people uploading all these ginormous images anyway? Is there some way to dis-allow/reject by file size?

Longer image load times make for especially difficult experience on the ipad, maybe I need to find a browser with different scrolling/image-loading behavior.

Latest posts

Top Bottom