Vortex Brewer

• Thread starter djstiks
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
organicozarks

organicozarks

I already agreed to disagree. I will go 1 step further, you are 100% correct. Remember the 1 rule of science, You are right until someone proves you wrong. So you must be right because I will not be copy and pasting anything to the contrary.

squiggly

squiggly

I already agreed to disagree. I will go 1 step further, you are 100% correct. Remember the 1 rule of science, You are right until someone proves you wrong. So you must be right because I will not be copy and pasting anything to the contrary.

1. I didn't copy/paste anything.

2. Making snarky remarks and insulting someone in a thinly veiled fashion isn't the same as "agreeing to disagree"--and it certainly isn't respectable.

3. The number one rule of science is that proof does not exist--Ever. Only support, evidence, and demonstration. Proof is an illegal word in science. It's a word that will get you ridiculed and fired faster as a scientist (in any discipline/science) than anything else you could do except blow a bunch of people up being unsafe in a lab.

4. As a consequence of 3, it is impossible for anyone to be 100% correct about anything at least in the sense that it might be proven.

I won't veil my insult. I'll come right out and say you're being a dick.

Ante up some evidence or cut the shit--it's un-needed.

My favorite part of this whole thing:

The thing you're indirectly accusing me of (wanting to be right at all costs) is in fact what has caused you to seek to insult me as a result of your lack of evidence and understanding of this topic.

That is to say that you just said whatever sounded good to you, you were wrong, you couldn't back it up--and you stooped to insults to mask your intellectual failure.

A tale as old as time--and as tired.

Very classy of you bro. Good luck in life with that outlook and gameplan!

:)

A word to the wise:

Don't argue with me, or try to "out-dick" me. I am clearly better at both of these things than you by several orders of magnitude. You've brought a pebble to a gun fight.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
This has to STOP NOW! This not only does nothing to engender conversation, it is completely non-constructive.

organicozarks

organicozarks

You still going on about this? Damn. For the third time now, I agree to disagree. Enough energy already wasted on this. Let's move on.

squiggly

squiggly

This has to STOP NOW! This not only does nothing to engender conversation, it is completely non-constructive.

Look. I'm all for being a nice guy, but let's be clear. I started off by saying something quite constructive--and then again reiterated that same constructive comment in a different way to clarify.

The insult he then offered wasn't so brazen that it deserved any type of moderation--but at the same time I'm not going to be disrespected and say nothing of it. It's just not in my blood.

I don't think anything which was said here (on either side) went too far.

I feel that by asking for evidence or support for his claims I'm trying to steer the conversation back into a constructive place. It's not my fault if someone wants to redefine the meaning of "agree to disagree" to "I'll swiftly insult you and then exit the conversation."

I agree we should keep shit constructive, but do we really need to be PC and happy-touchy-feely all of the god damn time?

It's not realistic. Sometimes people say dumb shit or stoop to insults during a reasonable discussion--and they ought be corrected.

If I told my mom I'd "agree to disagree with her" and then tossed a veiled insult in at the end--she would slap the dog shit out of me. I'm just doin what mama, and any reasonable adult being addressed in such a fashion, would do.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Squiggly, I do not want to do this in public, so I'm just going to say this much here--you are way off base. It is not a matter of being politically correct, it is a matter of hubris versus humility. Drop it now, please. Your behavior will drive away the very people I have been reaching out to suggesting that they participate here.

squiggly

squiggly

Squiggly, I do not want to do this in public, so I'm just going to say this much here--you are way off base. It is not a matter of being politically correct, it is a matter of hubris versus humility. Drop it now, please. Your behavior will drive away the very people I have been reaching out to suggesting that they participate here.

Fair enough.

The alternative, however, is that I'm going to just ban people like this--and that's going to make me one jerk of a moderator.

Boogi3Man

Boogi3Man

I'm in need of some advice about a future brew I'm planing on. I've got some caps on order and was very interested in exploring hardware/equpiment for brewing. Since I've never actually made a batch of aact would trying to make or buy a vortex style brewer be complicating the process? I like the idea of simple as much as anyone but I'm also very concerned about ( the level of plant health as you may be growing E. Coli, Salmonella, and fecal coliforms) I did copy and paste that :) . Can someone further explain pros cons of bucket brewing with air stone . Also since I'm a newbie at making tea should I even have concerns about anaerobic bacteria ?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Boogi3man, as long as you don't add guanos or vertebrate manures, you should be ok in terms of the disease-causing organisms. Keeping the tea to its most basic form--worm castings and molasses, will keep you safe in that regard as long as you don't let the tea brew too long (longer than 48hrs, IIRC) and keep it well agitated and aerated.

Airstones clog VERY quickly and easily in this scenario, it's actually more effective to just weigh down the tubing and drop it into the bucket (I'm talking about quarter inch airline tubing, assuming you're talking about using an aquarium pump). The aquarium pumps I have, have two outlets, so I use two pieces weighted down for a 5gal bucket.

The thing with the Vortex brewers is that cone design, and it's not cheap to purchase in any event, not compared to something like a trash can that can be had for $15, give or take. That cone design does certain offer some positives, but requires an additional stand, so it is an investment no matter what route you take (purchasing the pre-made brewer or making one of your own), not the least of which is getting the tea back out of the brewer easily. Having the bad back as I do, those sorts of details can really make a difference.

I want to qualify my statements here: I have never used a Vortex brewer. I do make teas, so far only using aquarium pumps (multiple). I have scoped some of my teas, not all, and I have a hard time figuring out if what I'm seeing are eye floaties or bacteria. Hyphal strands are easier to make out, as are ciliates, protozoa and the like, but using a rather cheap scope makes ID that much more difficult. Plus, I could probably use a book right beside me when I do it. In any event, I just wanted to make sure that folks understand where I'm coming from here.

organicozarks

organicozarks

I have yet to know someone that has infected anything with e. coli or salmonella. In University tests done with starter material that contained these yes they could replicate them in the brew. That being said in the real world I have yet to know of an instance where it has happened. The lab and the real world are two different places. Now can it happen? Yes it can. Do 33,000 people a year die in car wrecks every year in the US? Yes they do. Does everyone still drive cars? Yes they do. I suspect that the Agri-chemical people have latched onto these tests to dissuade people from doing something that is much cheaper, and sustainable that does not involve large corporations.

As far as being banned I now know why seamaiden has a hard time getting people over to this forum. Seamaiden I will give it a try for a little while longer, but I ain't makin' any promises.:)

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Oo, thanks, believe me, I'm working on it! There is no good, or reasonable, reason for you to be banned. I have never seen you post something that should be a bannable offense. I'm putting that out there right now.

Unfortunately, the situation at the other site has created not just one untenable situation for me, but several, and I've had to spend an inordinate amount of time on damage control due to those issues.

***Edit*** With specific regard to the organisms mentioned, much of my perspective comes from the food safety arena.

organicozarks

organicozarks

If you want to make a 5 gallon brewer lose the stones as seamaiden has said, and get an eco air 1 commercial pump. It is 36 watts, and has the power for a 5 gallon brew. If I were to make a brewer form scratch for the cheap I would use the x pattern with 1/2" pvc with a cross in the middle. Then drill some holes in the x's arms smaller are better. Then put a female threaded adapter into the cross that makes the x and then put a hose barb into that. You can also make a y with the two arms of the y in the bottom of the bucket, and the long arm coming up the side. Then drill hole sin the bottom y arms, and have the adapter in the arm coming up the side of the bucket. These two designs would be for the float the bag in the water brewer.

I personally do not use these designs, or that style of brewing. They do work though.

squiggly

squiggly

As far as being banned I now know why seamaiden has a hard time getting people over to this forum. Seamaiden I will give it a try for a little while longer, but I ain't makin' any promises.:)

Oo, thanks, believe me, I'm working on it! There is no good, or reasonable, reason for you to be banned. I have never seen you post something that should be a bannable offense. I'm putting that out there right now.

I totally agree. It's not a bannable offense by any stretch of the imagination

That's the point I was making, though.

It was clearly an offense and not a gentlemanly/womanly discussion tactic being employed. I did not turn the discussion in that direction. That was you, my friend. I offered support for my claims and you called me names.

True or not?

Look, if someone disagrees with me--fine. But don't basically call me an elitist jackass and expect I won't respond to that.

It's totally unfair of you to expect me to be uber nice to this guy, Sea, when he's being an asshole to me--just because you know him.

For what it's worth--I apologize for ruffling your feathers ozarks. Its not my intention to leave a bad taste in your mouth about THCFarmer--we really do have a wonderful and helpful community here and I think you'd find that if you had addressed me with the same measure of respect that you'd show a complete stranger on the street, that I'd have been nothing but helpful and pleasant to you.

A disagreement is not a license to insult me.

You can play coy if you like, but we both know that's what you did.

You both insinuated I was an ass and that I was pompous, then explained to me in no uncertain terms that my lack of experience (which you assumed--remember what happens when you do this? ;) ) couldn't be made up for with books.

It was insulting and I don't know what's confusing about that, nor why I should be made out to be the bad guy for it.

I propose a reset. You respect me, I respect you--and we both share in new knowledge together. I'm sure you've some things to teach me and vice versa.

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
If you want to make a 5 gallon brewer lose the stones as seamaiden has said, and get an eco air 1 commercial pump. It is 36 watts, and has the power for a 5 gallon brew. If I were to make a brewer form scratch for the cheap I would use the x pattern with 1/2" pvc with a cross in the middle. Then drill some holes in the x's arms smaller are better. Then put a female threaded adapter into the cross that makes the x and then put a hose barb into that. You can also make a y with the two arms of the y in the bottom of the bucket, and the long arm coming up the side. Then drill hole sin the bottom y arms, and have the adapter in the arm coming up the side of the bucket. These two designs would be for the float the bag in the water brewer.

I personally do not use these designs, or that style of brewing. They do work though.

Can you please tell us what YOU use? I for one am very interested as I am fairly confident by reading in to your threads that you know what's up with tea.

organicozarks

organicozarks

Can you please tell us what YOU use? I for one am very interested as I am fairly confident by reading in to your threads that you know what's up with tea.

I live in a non-med State so I can not say anything more as you could easily find out who I am.

squiggly

squiggly

Ain't no thang but a chicken wang' on a strang'. Respect.

Cool man. I'm glad we could work it out.

Clear case of getting off on the wrong foot. I could've sworn I'd seen another of your threads and been pretty colloquial with you in it!!

Thanks for the opportunity to reset!!

Theoneandonly Z

Theoneandonly Z

I live in a non-med State so I can not say anything more as you could easily find out who I am.
Darn! Well thanks for the pvc tip, ive been messing around with different concepts for brewers. Much respect, always enjoy your postings and hope there will be many more to come.

S

slap14

Well after looking at quite a few posts I decided to make my own small vortex brewer. I used an 8 gallon bucket with 3/4 PVC and I used a rubbermaid 20 gallon trash can upside down as a stand. I was amazed it actually works quite well. If any one is interested including the stand and not including my air pump it cost about $60. If you want me to post some pics let me know.

Slap

Top Bottom