Water Chiller Set-up w/multiple reservoirs

• Thread starter Giddeon
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Giddeon

Giddeon

If I have 4-75 gal reservoirs would it be possible to put a pump in each res have them pumping into a manifold all going into one line before entering the chiller then after chilling the water have it split again and go back into the individual reservoirs? All 4 res will be on the same nute schedule. I have sketched a picture that kinda maps out what I am trying to get at with this hope it helps the arrows show water flow direction.

View attachment Chiller.bmp
J

Jalisco Kid

You could put some gate valves in to control your flow for balancing. I would sell those rez's and get real one right for the job. It sucks to design something with built in flaws. Especially for that many plants. You will have enough work a head of you. JK

Giddeon

Giddeon

Each Res is the right size to flood the 4x8 table that is on a stand over them and if I go with a much larger res I run into problems of how to get it in the House.

Is the gate valve supposed to go on the outlet back into the res so that each gets the same flow filling the res back up? I figured something like this would have to be installed, i was just going to use a flow reducer to keep pressure in all the lines would that work?

J

Jalisco Kid

A valve on the return will give you more control.
If you live where you really need a chiller,I would rework your design. JK

Giddeon

Giddeon

A valve on the return will give you more control.
If you live where you really need a chiller,I would rework your design. JK

I run My room at 83 degrees with co2 so my water just gets to be a problem around day 3 or 4 in the week.

Ok so any suggestions on how to re work that I have been thinking about this for a while and this is the best i could come up with where i already have the 4 rezs and can only afford about a grand into a chiller

purpleberry

purpleberry

Maybe pump warer into 3 tanks, Loop all 4 together with 1" line up hi like a overflow and suck out of the last tank.
The way you have I think it could pull to much out of 1 tank and dump to much in another.

Widowmaker

Widowmaker

You could put a copper coil or radiator in each rez and pump chilled water through them. Leaving those systems as they are and not mixing your nutes. You may want to run different nutes some day.

View attachment 65654

:icon_spin:

L

Lost

get 3 more chillers and call it a day.....

Best call..

If your running all at the same nute (bloom week) fine. Otherwise more seperate resses is better. What happens if you get a bad bacteria in one res, table... This way you minimise the loss, maximise the gain..

M

mrdizzle

have you ran it without a chiller yet, and are the temps outta line?.

purpleberry

purpleberry

Widowmaker nailed it, thats how I would do it............

J

Jalisco Kid

Widowmaker nailed it, thats how I would do it............
Why would you put cooling coils in you rez unless you are pumping liquid N thru it. Transfering heat using something 20* cooler thru say copper with such a small surface area is foolish.

You could add another pump say 2400 gph to recirculate. You would need to make sure you had a good mixture in each tank though.
I make a 260 gal tank 5' x 5' x 18". You might check other sources for another tank. Cheaper then more chillers.
Remember what it will cost if you lose a crop in the summer time with 3 months rent and electricity. JK

Widowmaker

Widowmaker

JK, good point!!

Don't have enough info to design a system and don't remember thermodynamics from Physics class anyway. That said you can put multiple coils in the reservoirs and if Giddeon doesn’t have to move the temperature down too much it may work for him. If he has hot summers it may get him going until then. Just don't know how much cooling is needed. Information is worth what you pay for it.
:icon_spin:

purpleberry

purpleberry

If you want to keep the rezs seperate, its alot cheaper than buying 4 chillers. From what ive been reading about heat exchangers, they work very good. It might take a while to bring the temp down, but i bet it could work. And with only $1000 to work with, its worth a try. That are run them as one and hope you dont get any problems that will effect all the trays.

Giddeon

Giddeon

Thank You all for the help I have decided that this Idea isn't going to work for me and to just air cool my lights and drop the temp to 80 and each morning add about 10 gal of ph correct water fresh from the tap which temps at 49 degrees until next time when summer is about to hit (gets to about 110 at the hottest here) where I'll get 5 chillers (adding a table)

J

Jalisco Kid

Thank You all for the help I have decided that this Idea isn't going to work for me and to just air cool my lights and drop the temp to 80 and each morning add about 10 gal of ph correct water fresh from the tap which temps at 49 degrees until next time when summer is about to hit (gets to about 110 at the hottest here) where I'll get 5 chillers (adding a table)

When you do that make sure your temps stay below 73*,if not I would connect your tanks with 2 " lines enter on say the left and leave on the right on the opposite side,using a 2400 gph pump.
Going separate will allow you to harvest at different times and run different strains. JK

N

noone88

Cheapest solution would be to move your nutrient reservoirs outside of your grow room. If it's placed on concrete, you'll see a huge temperature drop since the concrete acts like a huge heat sink. Placing the reservoir in the grow room will make the water temps about the same as room temps.

Widowmaker's idea seems pretty good so that you're not pumping the same nutrient solution in all reservoirs.

FYI I was able to have success runs with my water temps at 80F (standard E&F with Hydroton) without problems. I did weekly res changes.

Top Bottom