Water Chilling Q & A

• Thread starter ttystikk
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dr.Trichome

Dr.Trichome

That fan is hittin the middle of da rad, cage fan moves lots of air.. back it off and box it in, angled at the sides, and it'll shove lots of air throug the there. The ones they use on a car don't move much compared to that one there. It'll rock that thing.

Dr.Trichome

Dr.Trichome

I'll bet with that fan you coukd box two of those rads atleast if ya box em in...

donmekka

donmekka

Guys could i get some opinions on this chiller

Seems like a good deal ....I think...I don't know much about chillers. Any idea how much lighting it could take care of?

CelticEBE

CelticEBE

Ok....got some questions for you waterchilling guys as I am about to start installing my 5 ton Banks. Here goes......................

Would a bigger reservoir create problems or make things more efficient? I do plan on heavily insulating my reservoir either way. I also know that a 55 gallon drum is sufficient. Just curious as to if a 275 IBC tote would be better as I am picking one up for a RO reservoir anyways.

On the return manifold, is it as important to stay away from 90 degree turns as it is with the incoming manifold?

On the incoming manifold, would 45's be suitable, or is spa tubing going to be superior?

Last but not least. The chiller itself will be in an enclosed warehouse. I do plan on having the warehouse vented with an attic fan. Is there a recommended cfm for applications such as this?

twist1

twist1

@CelticEBE How are you making out with your install? Were you able to do it yourself? Or have to get a contractor?

Mine came in yesterday. Man, this phucker is BIG! LOL! I hope it's all that they say it is.

CelticEBE

CelticEBE

@CelticEBE How are you making out with your install? Were you able to do it yourself? Or have to get a contractor?

Mine came in yesterday. Man, this phucker is BIG! LOL! I hope it's all that they say it is.
Its slow but steady. I actually had to frame out a drying room before I started anything else because the manifold will be going over the top of it. On top of all that I will be taking down one of my rooms tomorrow. Should have all the plumbing done fairly soon....made like 5 trips to Home Depot and I still need some stuff. :eek: Not gonna need a contractor.....I've got the skills to do it.....I just need the time.

I decided to go with a IBC tote for the reservoir.....I'm just not going to fill it up all the way. I think there will be benefits to having a larger volume of water.

Delerium

Delerium

Yes Walmart at about this time a year (fall/winter). 5-7 bucks a gal I think. It has a red dye in it.
Super Tech Rv & marine antifreeze squew number 81131 00234. It's manufactured for Walmart and found in auto or sporting department.

That stuff is no good, pre diluted you have to use it at 100% but it is still diluted. The freeze point and burst rating is too low. That is obviously outdoors in a cold climate. Typically go to your local HVAC Contractor Supply Co. I pay approx 80 bucks a 5 gal bucket. Pricey but it is the real deal. Picked up 35 gallons this past monday to replace fluid I lost due to a broken ball valve. The whole floor was covered in Glycol, Thank goodness nothing sprayed on the plants, they don't take to it well topically to Glycol. However I had Glycol leak into a cloner from a loose cool coil hose clamp and the clones actually came back. You see blue foam in your cloner and your heart sinks. But on the leaves they will straight up die. Ive spoken to the actual manufacturer of the RV Propylene Glycol products and they don't recommend it unless your in a warmer climate for our equipment specs. Going to be down into the negatives here again this week. Id actually only use that in pure desperation.

Delerium

Delerium

Ok....got some questions for you waterchilling guys as I am about to start installing my 5 ton Banks. Here goes......................

Would a bigger reservoir create problems or make things more efficient? I do plan on heavily insulating my reservoir either way. I also know that a 55 gallon drum is sufficient. Just curious as to if a 275 IBC tote would be better as I am picking one up for a RO reservoir anyways.

On the return manifold, is it as important to stay away from 90 degree turns as it is with the incoming manifold?

On the incoming manifold, would 45's be suitable, or is spa tubing going to be superior?

Last but not least. The chiller itself will be in an enclosed warehouse. I do plan on having the warehouse vented with an attic fan. Is there a recommended cfm for applications such as this?

My 5t chiller is outdoors, 1.5"x1.5"x1" tee off of the pump to the chiller. Chiller returns to rez with flowmeter, all in spa flex to rez and pump (1-1/2" 1HP) located in the garage, riser to the second floor room location is 2" supply, 1.5" return in spa flex to 90 Degree PVC sch 40 Outlet Elbow to Sch 40 PVC Pipe (Plumbing Supply or online purchase lowes HD doesn't stock that size outlet elbow) each outlet runs to either side of the room with one 90 each to the supply manifolds and the 90 back from the returns obviously following the same route. I could have gotten away with one 90 but I wanted the coils in my veg and cloner 35 feet away on an opposing corner.
Seems to work just fine I'm running 20 GPM on my flowmeter solid. Had to replace flow switch, died not letting the circuit to close. Sucked cuz I just topped off rez with newly purchased glycol. Wasn't too messy though. Had some slow trickle leaks using teflon tape, should have used more or just went with the pipe thread compound off the bat. Most threaded connections I changed over to the compound since. I will take some picks of the tubing run one day. May also need a heat gun to get that spa flex over those large barbed fittings. Still trying to find my sweet spot with the chiller temp. I ran the air handler and the chiller temp wasn't set low enough so my coils went to 70-73f. wasn't happy about that.

CelticEBE

CelticEBE

My 5t chiller is outdoors, 1.5"x1.5"x1" tee off of the pump to the chiller. Chiller returns to rez with flowmeter, all in spa flex to rez and pump (1-1/2" 1HP) located in the garage, riser to the second floor room location is 2" supply, 1.5" return in spa flex to 90 Degree PVC sch 40 Outlet Elbow to Sch 40 PVC Pipe (Plumbing Supply or online purchase lowes HD doesn't stock that size outlet elbow) each outlet runs to either side of the room with one 90 each to the supply manifolds and the 90 back from the returns obviously following the same route. I could have gotten away with one 90 but I wanted the coils in my veg and cloner 35 feet away on an opposing corner.
Seems to work just fine I'm running 20 GPM on my flowmeter solid. Had to replace flow switch, died not letting the circuit to close. Sucked cuz I just topped off rez with newly purchased glycol. Wasn't too messy though. Had some slow trickle leaks using teflon tape, should have used more or just went with the pipe thread compound off the bat. Most threaded connections I changed over to the compound since. I will take some picks of the tubing run one day. May also need a heat gun to get that spa flex over those large barbed fittings. Still trying to find my sweet spot with the chiller temp. I ran the air handler and the chiller temp wasn't set low enough so my coils went to 70-73f. wasn't happy about that.

Should have everything up and running here in a couple of days now. I actually just glued the spa flex to the pvc. I thought about barb fittings but a plumber buddy of mine told me that using pvc glue would work so....

Delerium

Delerium

Should have everything up and running here in a couple of days now. I actually just glued the spa flex to the pvc. I thought about barb fittings but a plumber buddy of mine told me that using pvc glue would work so....

Awesome Celtic.
2 Chillers in series over a larger rez. U had asked about using larger rez before.
Spa Flex is sch 40 PVC but only flexible same O.D., the stuff rocks because you can use the same exact fittings for either one. (for the non-proffesional plumbers such as myself) I came this close to using glue. Glue is better imo less threaded fittings the better. I used the flex to get it going until i have time to make an uber plumbing setup with all unions.
I was awoken to a weird sound one night at 4AM. A weird sucking sound. Thought it was the dosers out of whack just continually dosing. I inspected it and found a cracked ball valve. My fault overtightened but that one was expensive, dumped an estimated 500+ dollars of glycol all over my room floor.

CelticEBE

CelticEBE

Awesome Celtic.
2 Chillers in series over a larger rez. U had asked about using larger rez before.
Spa Flex is sch 40 PVC but only flexible same O.D., the stuff rocks because you can use the same exact fittings for either one. (for the non-proffesional plumbers such as myself) I came this close to using glue. Glue is better imo less threaded fittings the better. I used the flex to get it going until i have time to make an uber plumbing setup with all unions.
I was awoken to a weird sound one night at 4AM. A weird sucking sound. Thought it was the dosers out of whack just continually dosing. I inspected it and found a cracked ball valve. My fault overtightened but that one was expensive, dumped an estimated 500+ dollars of glycol all over my room floor.

Damn....that's a hefty spill. I'm in SoCal and it never freezes here, plus everything will be indoors so I am running just a little bit of glycol as "lubricant" for the pump as HI said. I also changed my mind on the IBC tote and decided to go with a 100 gallon reservoir instead. I will post some pics once I have everything installed.

S

seebobsled

That stuff is no good, pre diluted you have to use it at 100% but it is still diluted. The freeze point and burst rating is too low. That is obviously outdoors in a cold climate. Typically go to your local HVAC Contractor Supply Co. I pay approx 80 bucks a 5 gal bucket. Pricey but it is the real deal. Picked up 35 gallons this past monday to replace fluid I lost due to a broken ball valve. The whole floor was covered in Glycol, Thank goodness nothing sprayed on the plants, they don't take to it well topically to Glycol. However I had Glycol leak into a cloner from a loose cool coil hose clamp and the clones actually came back. You see blue foam in your cloner and your heart sinks. But on the leaves they will straight up die. Ive spoken to the actual manufacturer of the RV Propylene Glycol products and they don't recommend it unless your in a warmer climate for our equipment specs. Going to be down into the negatives here again this week. Id actually only use that in pure desperation.

You are right !
but fine for warmer weather. I average 40deg but can dip to 30 sometimes over night. Moving water has a harder time to freeze. No problems for me.

Delerium

Delerium

You are right !
but fine for warmer weather. I average 40deg but can dip to 30 sometimes over night. Moving water has a harder time to freeze. No problems for me.

Exactly, and it is a hell of a lot cheaper and more readily available.

CelticEBE

CelticEBE

Wooo hoooo!!! Got er up and running! I managed to chill 100 gallons in the time it took me to insulate the tank. Had one faulty nipple and one loose connection so I'd say I did pretty good with the plumbing. 5 ton air handlers ROCK! My flowmeter is pegged out.....so stoked.

Delerium

Delerium

Wooo hoooo!!! Got er up and running! I managed to chill 100 gallons in the time it took me to insulate the tank. Had one faulty nipple and one loose connection so I'd say I did pretty good with the plumbing. 5 ton air handlers ROCK! My flowmeter is pegged out.....so stoked.

Say goodbye to root rot.

I'm a mini Hardware store. Have way to much shit. I'd rather spend 2 bucks on a fitting than have to be screwed at 2 AM.

CelticEBE

CelticEBE

Say goodbye to root rot.

I'm a mini Hardware store. Have way to much shit. I'd rather spend 2 bucks on a fitting than have to be screwed at 2 AM.
I'm actually a Coco drain to waste guy......I went with the 5 ton water chiller and air handlers because it was my best option as far as cooling two 8k rooms on a flip, my veg room, and a drying room. I could not have done this with traditional hvac and the power that I have.

Latest posts

Top Bottom