Water Chilling Q & A

• Thread starter ttystikk
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
johnnyrex

johnnyrex

Ttystikk I just moved into a new place i have a tent 12x12 I have 4 site 13gal UC and 5 vertical air cooled cool tubes is also have a 1hp aqua quest chiller and 2 8" icebox do you think I will be able to cool my room with this? If so can you please show me a pic of how this setup chiller & icebox to cool your room looks like thanks once again for the help

stickyfing3rs

stickyfing3rs

Ttystikk I just moved into a new place i have a tent 12x12 I have 4 site 13gal UC and 5 vertical air cooled cool tubes is also have a 1hp aqua quest chiller and 2 8" icebox do you think I will be able to cool my room with this? If so can you please show me a pic of how this setup chiller & icebox to cool your room looks like thanks once again for the help
You'll have to use a cool coil in your uc epi center, then your ice boxes will be plumbed normally. Sorry I don't have any pictures of this set up. A little research on cool coils will explain it well. I built stainless steel manifolds for the feed and drain lines on my cool coils, then stainless steel quick connects on all hoses. Works slick as shit. If your a diy guy you won't have a problem coming up with something along these lines.

johnnyrex

johnnyrex

You'll have to use a cool coil in your uc epi center, then your ice boxes will be plumbed normally. Sorry I don't have any pictures of this set up. A little research on cool coils will explain it well. I built stainless steel manifolds for the feed and drain lines on my cool coils, then stainless steel quick connects on all hoses. Works slick as shit. If your a diy guy you won't have a problem coming up with something along these lines.
Thanks for the fast reply I already have a cool coil I picked up from UC a while back. I'm saying as far is cooling goes do you think it will cool the room during the summer heat I'm in the northeast so we get heat waves with humidity. I was thinking along the lines of pvc feed & return line do they have to be same size or 3/4" feed & 1" return line. Also will 2 icebox do the job?
Also what size pump do I would need

johnnyrex

johnnyrex

So ttystikk what do you think 5K air cooled light can i cool my room with a 1hp chiller aqua quest and 2 8" ice box? I was looking into getting those air diffuser I saw on the hydro innovation youtube video thanks

stickyfing3rs

stickyfing3rs

Hey man sorry I didn't see your reply, I can't tell you for sure if that's gonna cut it. I don't run near 5k, I bet @Texas Kid or @Quantum9 or @Wavegem will be able to give ya better advice

CelticEBE

CelticEBE

So ttystikk what do you think 5K air cooled light can i cool my room with a 1hp chiller aqua quest and 2 8" ice box? I was looking into getting those air diffuser I saw on the hydro innovation youtube video thanks
I would say that cooling 5k in lights with a 1hp chiller would be tough to do. I cooled 2k with a 1/2hp chiller....and that was pushing things.

johnnyrex

johnnyrex

Thanks guys I know it might be tough but I thought cause they were aircooled that maybe it would workwork

johnnyrex

johnnyrex

Any idea on a heat exchanger for the winter time instead of running my chiller during the winter months I'm in the northeast. A heat exchanger with a fan I was told would work. I'm thinking a purchasing a 2 hp bank chiller commerical chiller by hydro innovation.
They stated it can run up to -25f.
How so they compare vs chillking

Desertboy

Desertboy

UK users look for Air to water heat exchanger from a boiler works very well for ~$50-$80 each. Hydro innovations are expensive over here when you factor delivery and import tax.

I've used this type before in the UK you can fit 2 6" fans to the heat exchanger and if you pump 18c or cooler water through one and it will cool 4 600w lamps bare lamps quicker than they can make heat, use a large enough heat sink like a pool and don't grow over summer and you'll save shit loads on leccy and never run that chiller. If you run a pool and have solar heating you can use the solar heating to bleed off heat as well during the night time if needed.

When using heat exchangers for bleeding off excess heat (Much more efficient than air con in northern states/Canada in winter) or UK between Nov-Mar most years simply set the heat exchanger higher than the heat sink reservoir and gravity will drain the system when the pumps off. Thus eliminating the danger of freezing without the need for antifreeze.

MfIBZ5jiWBJaysCSWCqZ5nA
tec dan

tec dan

I used a 1/10hp water chiller for my two bucket system (13 gal each), but got tired of dealing with the "clogging", I switched to an ice probe in each bucket, keeps my water temps at a steady 68 degrees, draws just 50 watts with no pumps or lines to get clogged. I made a manifold to cover the ice probes cooling heat sink with its own cool air intake and heat exhaust, it work great, and simplifies a lot of stuff, way lower maintenance.

20140919 151802

tec dan

tec dan

do you have a pic of the ice probe by itself?and can they be adjusted temp wise?
Yes, I also purchased the optional thermostat controller for the ice probe, I think it was an additional 40 bucks. Here is a pic of the ice probe without the diy shroud in my veg tent, its just a heat sink with a 4 in fan, the probe itself is about an inch in diameter and protrudes into the bucket about 3 inches....I will take a couple more pics and post better pics of it...
20140824 134355

tec dan

tec dan

20140924 131930
20140924 131948
20140924 131930
20140924 131919
20140924 131930
20140924 131948
Yes, I also purchased the optional thermostat controller for the ice probe, I think it was an additional 40 bucks. Here is a pic of the ice probe without the diy shroud in my veg tent, its just a heat sink with a 4 in fan, the probe itself is about an inch in diameter and protrudes into the bucket about 3 inches....I will take a couple more pics and post better pics of it...View attachment 444378
20140924 131919

tec dan

tec dan

Mr. Piehole! Thanks man....amazon is a wonderful thing :) One more important thing, you MUST insulate your bucket, if you do not, you will not get the results that I have :-)

Fla Toker

Fla Toker

What would be the recommendation for cooling a rdwc 6 bucket system more than likely 5gal buckets with a 30gal controller ( not exactly sure if the controller needs to be bigger or smaller it will be hooked to a res 50gal w a float valve for refill ) under a 1000w hps w cooled reflector ? Also would I need a window ac unit for the room or would the house hold ac be enough . The outside Temps usually are hot high 80's high 90's during summer. Thank you for your help. I'm thinking a chiller (what size ty !!) With a window unit. That'd be the flowering room with a amother room maybe a 600w mh for veg again thank you. Veg more than likely same setup if not a ebb n flow

Top Bottom