Water Chilling Q & A

• Thread starter ttystikk
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ttystikk

ttystikk

This is best price now ,eco can be found for 1200. 2 years ago was price wasn't as flexible. You are a little jaded because you never paid retail for your system.

Jaded is the wrong word. I assiduously sought and found bargains on the equipment I wanted- and spent plenty of time at it, too. I'm not jaded, you're just a lil jealous!

ttystikk

ttystikk

From limited info my conclusion is
4# Import $
3# Eco plus/ commercial import $$
2# Chill king USA $$$
1# Whaley USA $$$$ best efficiency 14 seer

In general, the larger the cooling plant, the more efficient it is. This holds true for chillers at least as much as AC.

Swany

Swany

Does anyone have experience or info on either of these Chillers???

Based on seller rating alone I wouldn't touch the second one. I've seen the first one on hydro sites, though I think you would do better buying an eco plus commercial from a reliable source, like hydroponics.net. I have no experience with these units however...

babyhughie586

babyhughie586

Based on seller rating alone I wouldn't touch the second one. I've seen the first one on hydro sites, though I think you would do better buying an eco plus commercial from a reliable source, like hydroponics.net. I have no experience with these units however...
yea i thought that same thing looking at the seller rating on the first one... I have been considering the ecoplus commercial chiller as well but its still +300$ more than that second one.... I have been looking at that second listed one for a long time.. I really wish i could get sum feedback on it... I may end up being the guinea pig on it though... If i do end up getting it ill make sure to post my experience and review of it here...

ttystikk

ttystikk

yea i thought that same thing looking at the seller rating on the first one... I have been considering the ecoplus commercial chiller as well but its still +300$ more than that second one.... I have been looking at that second listed one for a long time.. I really wish i could get sum feedback on it... I may end up being the guinea pig on it though... If i do end up getting it ill make sure to post my experience and review of it here...

A big chiller that cools much or all of your crop is by definition a mission critical piece of equipment; meaning that if it fails, your op does too.

This is why I keep harping on the subject of getting quality gear! The top dollar stuff is just that-- but unlike sneakers or sunglasses, you actually get what you pay for- and generally better performance as well as reliability.

One more thing; as insane as it might sound, get a BIGGER chiller than the one you think you'll need. Don't get two or more little ones, because big ones are much more efficient. This won't cost much extra in operating costs, as a chiller will shut off anytime its water supply is cool enough.

babyhughie586

babyhughie586

A big chiller that cools much or all of your crop is by definition a mission critical piece of equipment; meaning that if it fails, your op does too.

This is why I keep harping on the subject of getting quality gear! The top dollar stuff is just that-- but unlike sneakers or sunglasses, you actually get what you pay for- and generally better performance as well as reliability.

One more thing; as insane as it might sound, get a BIGGER chiller than the one you think you'll need. Don't get two or more little ones, because big ones are much more efficient. This won't cost much extra in operating costs, as a chiller will shut off anytime its water supply is cool enough.
I understand this but how do you know that the chiller I listed isnt quality??? As far as i know no one has even seen it it person.... I hate to be a dick, but you didnt answer my question... I already am well aware of all the stuff you said.. Right now i have a 1/10HP chiller chilling 11 8gal buckets with 2kw HID i got cooling vented from my basement and once in a while from my central A/C... My plants are thriving.. So im well aware how to cool my room... I just am curious if anyone has used either of these chillers... What if it is just as good as a high dollar chiller and works the same for $1000 less???

S

seebobsled

I understand this but how do you know that the chiller I listed isnt quality??? As far as i know no one has even seen it it person.... I hate to be a dick, but you didnt answer my question... I already am well aware of all the stuff you said.. Right now i have a 1/10HP chiller chilling 11 8gal buckets with 2kw HID i got cooling vented from my basement and once in a while from my central A/C... My plants are thriving.. So im well aware how to cool my room... I just am curious if anyone has used either of these chillers... What if it is just as good as a high dollar chiller and works the same for $1000 less???

Yes they work but require high or large flow and Warranty would be a pain if not local. I run one as a two stage backup I picked off c.list it was manufactured in 2007. 5 years still running.
They are a little loud specially at startup from the relay thunk. My commercial eco plus is a step above very quiet comparatively just a beeper that I glued and put a piece of tape over to solve. I need to clean the condenser coil I bet some rubber under the main relay were it mounts would help.

S

seebobsled

Also they put out 3/4 btu about there on average 8000 btu. Question any manufacture that don't list British thermal units are possibly hiding behind HP. Assume they are and their prices are reflecting that.

S

seebobsled

I felt badly, and it certainly added to the fire under my ass to get things fixed. That haste was costly. I didn't run the water at night, I shut off half my lights and vented like crazy, kept it down to 86 in the overnight room.

Wasting anything is wasteful. I did not fully utilize that water, but it's temp kept my op alive- that's not a waste in my book!

Sea, your sensibilities and mine match closely when it comes to the environment, its defense, and the resources we as indoor growers use in insane amounts! At least all that water went towards the cause of my hunting for efficiency gains... I hope that helps you feel better. I hated doing it so much I'm keeping a SECOND $3000 CHILLER AS A SPARE. If that's not putting my money where my mouth is, what would be?

ttystikk

ttystikk

All right Bobsled, you wanted to talk smack on my profie page and lie there? Get your head together, fella! I didn't talk about what I PAID, because others can't get that price. THAT would have been the unethical thing to do, what is your problem?

RETAIL is $2895.00, plus applicable taxes. If anything, then, $3K is an UNDERSTATEMENT, not an exaggeration.
The hydro store price you found- a goood one, by the way- is a DISCOUNTED price off retail. These are basic marketing definitions here, I'm pulling no one's leg, and you are barking up the wrong tree.

Get a grip.

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

All right Bobsled, you wanted to talk smack on my profie page and lie there? Get your head together, fella! I didn't talk about what I PAID, because others can't get that price. THAT would have been the unethical thing to do, what is your problem?

RETAIL is $2895.00, plus applicable taxes. If anything, then, $3K is an UNDERSTATEMENT, not an exaggeration.
The hydro store price you found- a goood one, by the way- is a DISCOUNTED price off retail. These are basic marketing definitions here, I'm pulling no one's leg, and you are barking up the wrong tree.

Get a grip.
I didnt read the whole thread but you could build one i mean build a chiller right?

ttystikk

ttystikk

I didnt read the whole thread but you could build one i mean build a chiller right?

It's possible to build nearly anything yourself- it's whether the effort is worthwhile in terms of costs incurred rolling your own vs buying from a maker who presumably would have the advantage of efficiencies of scale, nevermind a bigger research budget.

Besides, I'm busy! I'm trying to design better lighting systems, I don't want to rebuild a chiller first.

S

seebobsled

This is true. At least, it agrees with the tag on the side of mine. If like to know what this number means, and how its different from SEER.
EER energy efficiency rating/
SEER seasonal energy efficiency rating/ trick like HP to hide behind numbers.

S

seebobsled

Yes if you know how to evacuate lines and charge Freon.
Or take a ac/ dehumidifier and diy a tank around the evaporation coil(cold side) and flow water instead of air. Not the most efficiency but cheap. Some Rv coolant/propylene glycol (not reg antifreeze) will help stop corrosion and prolong a freon leak. Also do not kink the copper tubing going to the exchanger.

ttystikk

ttystikk

chill King is just a 9.2 eer Frigidaire AC.

...with the all-important water heat exchange coil in place of the standard evap. coil, which is where water chilling gets its efficiency boost from. I certainly never tried to claim the guts of the system were inherently more efficient than AC (because I don't know a lot about their internals), so it makes sense that the EER rating would stay the same. By the same token, a heat pump system is even more efficient and someone (Seebobsled?) mentioned that was their ultimate goal. Mine, too.

Top Bottom