Water PH rising alot overnight

• Thread starter Buddin Buddy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Flexnerb

Flexnerb

I think when the solution absorbs co2 or gasses off things the pH changes. Like when distilled water sits out it absorbs co2 and ph drifts.
Where did you get this info from? Evaporatively speaking yes it removes c02 from the air but in very very minute amounts...i could be wrong here. How would the ph drift in elementless water? Doesnt there have to be some type of carbonate in the water for ph drift to occur? Or an acid lowering the alkalinty for this to be possible?

Habosabin

Habosabin

Where did you get this info from? Evaporatively speaking yes it removes c02 from the air but in very very minute amounts...i could be wrong here
I was trying to figure out a cheap way of testing my meter. I looked up distilled water and ph. Says distilled water absorbs co2 and it's ph drifts. It will go from 7 to 5.8 in a matter of hours.

I don't know chemistry well. But probably stuff sitting exchanges ions somehow and ph changes until equalibrium is met.

Last edited:
Flexnerb

Flexnerb

I guess it does...couple hours it can go from 7 to 6...lol being void of anythig its in a hurry to get whatever it can...thought air movement had to do with this...ill look into this later...huh...thanks for the info...

zigzagtop

zigzagtop

Apparently, everywhere I look anyway, states that cannabis thrives well when the pH of the water is between 6 & 6.7. I use an aquarium pump and a few air stones to oxygenate my water supply, plus removes the chlorine faster. Get yourself some pH UP & pH DOWN solutions at any hydroponic place to adjust the water supply to your liking.

Buddin Buddy

Buddin Buddy

Can you also post a pic of the plants?
Ph of tank has stayed at 6 for nearly a week now after using that Ph Up trick thanks.

20210706 191953

However I have 2 plants that are less than half the size of the other plants for some reason, slowly going yellow with red stems.

20210706 192004

20210706 192016

It's weird how they are all getting the same stuff but 2 are sick, not sure what to do about them, I'm 3 weeks into growth stage now and I need to flip them soon but the two that are sick are going to do badly if I flip now. Any suggestions?

20210706 192211

I also picked up some potassium silicate :)

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Ph of tank has stayed at 6 for nearly a week now after using that Ph Up trick thanks.

View attachment 1143159

However I have 2 plants that are less than half the size of the other plants for some reason, slowly going yellow with red stems.

View attachment 1143158
View attachment 1143156

It's weird how they are all getting the same stuff but 2 are sick, not sure what to do about them, I'm 3 weeks into growth stage now and I need to flip them soon but the two that are sick are going to do badly if I flip now. Any suggestions?

View attachment 1143157

I also picked up some potassium silicate :)
Glad the ph is sorted... are they different ages? Looks like the lil guys don't handle the light as well.

Can you give the environment, media and watering info?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Also if the ph is staying at 6 that long its probably a bit much ph up... cut back till you see between 0.1-0.3 rise per day.

Buddin Buddy

Buddin Buddy

Glad the ph is sorted... are they different ages? Looks like the lil guys don't handle the light as well.

Can you give the environment, media and watering info?
No they are all the same age, I always get at least one that turns funny stunted growth, turns yellow, red stems etc.

Enviroment is 60/40 coco pebles mix, in easyfeed fabric pots. You feed them from the top the first few feeds then feed them from the bottom. The problem started when I was feeding them from the top with weak feed (0.5-0.7 ec) with ph fluctuations but they have been fed from the bottom with ph stable feed. Temps are 24oC and humidity is about 50-60. Top of the coco is still wet on all the plants. I feed them about every 3 days now from the bottom. All getting the same treatment but those 2 are not happy. I'm on 22 hours light 2hrs darkness because I dont want them to stretch like crazy on 18hr. Light is on 500w setting using 1 led light that is 1.1m x 1.1m wide. Could be just weak clones that didnt have as much roots at start as the others so have been over watered but I figured once ph was fixed this wouldn't happen anymore.

Buddin Buddy

Buddin Buddy

Also if the ph is staying at 6 that long its probably a bit much ph up... cut back till you see between 0.1-0.3 rise per day.
Just checked my ph after 3 days and it was 5.0 which is strange it stayed at 6.0 for about a week.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Just checked my ph after 3 days and it was 5.0 which is strange it stayed at 6.0 for about a week.
It won't stay forever... you just want it to be a stable 0.1-0.3 change a day... cannabis does pretty dam well in a wide range but does not do well with big swings.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

What airstone and pump do you have and where is each airstone located?

Habosabin

Habosabin

Yes but don't.... its sodium bicarbonate and you do not want to feed that to your plants unless in a real pinch.
Ok. Just asking. I'm gonna have a 5 gallon res next grow and I really hate the daily adjustments

Buddin Buddy

Buddin Buddy

What airstone and pump do you have and where is each airstone located?
My air pump has 2 air holes so I have 2 small ball sized air stones, both sit at the bottom of 100 litre tank, one at each side of the tank. If the tank is full I run the air pump at 100% now it's nearly empty its running at about 40%, but at 100% when the tank is full it creates a lot of bubbles and motion in the water.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Ok. Just asking. I'm gonna have a 5 gallon res next grow and I really hate the daily adjustments
The cycle of life in hydroponics...

DWC....

(Beggining) hell yeah can't wait to run this hydro shot and kill it.

Middle (little more work than I thought)

End (Fuck this shit I'm doing RDWC next time)

šŸ˜ I compare it to ppl who want to move to Canada from a country without snow.

I can't wait to make snowman, throw snowballs, lay if the fluffy white stuff and make snow angels.

1 month into winter.... fuck this white shit and the snowplow driver it rode in on.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

My air pump has 2 air holes so I have 2 small ball sized air stones, both sit at the bottom of 100 litre tank, one at each side of the tank. If the tank is full I run the air pump at 100% now it's nearly empty its running at about 40%, but at 100% when the tank is full it creates a lot of bubbles and motion in the water.
None in the sites? Can you link the pump? I think this is a big part of the issue your seeing with PH dropping.

A small circulation pump at the bottom angled at a 45 upwards with mix and create good surface agitation.

This is the one I use.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KQ5CB2O/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_imm_4KC9EVS2QS20NFV1QVTJ

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Also make sure if you are testing runoff it's done immediately after.

Buddin Buddy

Buddin Buddy

None in the sites? Can you link the pump? I think this is a big part of the issue your seeing with PH dropping.

A small circulation pump at the bottom angled at a 45 upwards with mix and create good surface agitation.

This is the one I use.
Oh I dont use a water pump as its gravity fed system. The air pump (bubbler) is outside the tank (or it would blow up). My air stones are round like a small ball maybe 30% bigger than a golf ball and I have 2 of them, they definitely agitate the water well imo.

Funny what you said about the DWC. I was like that, I tried it once, it was alot of work and near impossible with PH issues that I didnt have at the time but I still had to adjust PH pretty much daily. I only did 1 plant in a massive tank, gave it 9 weeks growth stage, by the time it had finished the stem was like a tree trunk and I think I got 40oz from it. Good learning experience but just easier in soil, it's why I'm using a gravity bottom feeder system now with a valve timer, if I didnt have ph issues I wouldn't need to do anything for a week as they would feed themselves on a timer.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KQ5CB2O/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_imm_4KC9EVS2QS20NFV1QVTJ

Habosabin

Habosabin

The cycle of life in hydroponics...

DWC....

(Beggining) hell yeah can't wait to run this hydro shot and kill it.

Middle (little more work than I thought)

End (Fuck this shit I'm doing RDWC next time)

šŸ˜ I compare it to ppl who want to move to Canada from a country without snow.

I can't wait to make snowman, throw snowballs, lay if the fluffy white stuff and make snow angels.

1 month into winter.... fuck this white shit and the snowplow driver it rode in on.
Lol. Ya. I was so hyped for dwc. I tried dwc and got root rot so I switched to rockwool. That way I don't have to worry about oxygen in the nutes. Rockwool worked great handwatered so I figured a top feed system is worth a shot.

Latest posts

Top Bottom