Water PH rising alot overnight

• Thread starter Buddin Buddy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Buddin Buddy

Buddin Buddy

Lol. Ya. I was so hyped for dwc. I tried dwc and got root rot so I switched to rockwool. That way I don't have to worry about oxygen in the nutes. Rockwool worked great handwatered so I figured a top feed system is worth a shot.
Did you not use air stone?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Yes. My environment must have a lot of spores or something. I got this brown stuff almost immediately.
That's diatoms. Harless and often seen in a new res with no real biosystem. They feed on silica and phosphates if I remember right. Just keep it off the roots is all.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

If your bottom feeding you will need to top feed once a week well to prevent a buildup of nutrients. Imo top feed is a better choice.

I went from hydro to coco and yeah just to easy not to stay in coco.

MilkyTrichomes

MilkyTrichomes

Carbonic acid will lower ph and the carbon in charcoal take years to break down... its such a negligible amount it's irrelevant.

Co2 is a different story and completely different compound
I work at a large water treatment facility and after our water runs thru the RO process it’s run thru decarb towers to strip off some of the CO2 that built up as the water runs thru piping. That raises the pH. After that it’s hit with lime to protect the pipes as it travels.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I work at a large water treatment facility and after our water runs thru the RO process it’s run thru decarb towers to strip off some of the CO2 that built up as the water runs thru piping. That raises the pH. After that it’s hit with lime to protect the pipes as it travels.
Yeah most often calcium carbonate is added or you end up like flint Michigan. Acidic water and pipes are a no no.

When co2 is dissolved in water it creates carbonic acid and that drives the ph down. In open water it's not an issue as it will off gas quite easily but under pressure is a different story.

That's exactly how I used to feed my aquatic plants co2. You can't just push co2 through an airstone as it not very effective so I built a co2 reactor to dissovle it and kept surface agitation on the low side

The lime is to act as a buffer for the carbonic acid created after from the break down of organics caused by chlorine

Last edited:
Habosabin

Habosabin

That's diatoms. Harless and often seen in a new res with no real biosystem. They feed on silica and phosphates if I remember right. Just keep it off the roots is all.
That stuff got all over My roots and I was unable to disinfect. I bought 27% peroxide, cleanse and even bleach. I ended up transplanting it in February outside into soil. It's still alive but really stunted. I was thinking of taking a clone if it was still alive in the fall. It's a ethos cresendo.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

That stuff got all over My roots and I was unable to disinfect. I bought 27% peroxide, cleanse and even bleach. I ended up transplanting it in February outside into soil. It's still alive but really stunted. I was thinking of taking a clone if it was still alive in the fall. It's a ethos cresendo.
Brown slime or like fluffy kinda stuff... of slime that was root rot. You must run sterile or live or your likely to get it.

Habosabin

Habosabin

Brown slime or like fluffy kinda stuff... of slime that was root rot. You must run sterile or live or your likely to get it.
I noticed it as a light brown slime on the roots. It was caked all over the air stone as well. My only picture of the grossness.

1B0EB3A0 CB6B 4A60 AAAC 78120508AFEC
ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Dude. You're not supposed to date those kind of ladies. Better call the clinic....
This looks like a scene from MacBeth.
That's the nastiest mix of disgusting I've seen in some time.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

It's almost impossible to change a plant from living soil to non once it's reached maturity. The stress will likely kill it unless you find a way to harden it first.

Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
Yeah most often calcium carbonate is added or you end up like flint Michigan. Acidic water and pipes are a no no.

When co2 is dissolved in water it creates carbonic acid and that drives the ph down. In open water it's not an issue as it will off gas quite easily but under pressure is a different story.

That's exactly how I used to feed my aquatic plants co2. You can't just push co2 through an airstone as it not very effective so I built a co2 reactor to dissovle it and kept surface agitation on the low side

The lime is to act as a buffer for the carbonic acid created after from the break down of organics caused by chlorine
So will cannabis uptake carbonic acid (via roots) an convert it into co2 within the plant? Or does an aquatic do it at leaf level.... ie. taken in though the leaves, via photosynthesis processing.

Habosabin

Habosabin

I also think the floranova series probably not the best for dwc environment.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

So will cannabis uptake carbonic acid (via roots) an convert it into co2 within the plant? Or does an aquatic do it at leaf level.... ie. taken in though the leaves, via photosynthesis processing.
The aquatic leaf does and no cannabis will not take up co2 through the roots. It actually expells co2 from the roots.

Pondracer

Pondracer

11 days into this fill with 30% of the reservoir remaining. PH measured at a flat 5.85, the same as it was last measurement. So zero drift in the last 4-5 days. It seems as long as I measure and adjust for the first ~6 days it will stop swinging. Again, I start with 60-65 gallons of DI water which seems like overkill. But I don't have to think about any variation in the base mix.

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
The aquatic leaf does and no cannabis will not take up co2 through the roots. It actually expells co2 from the roots.
So it's exchanging that for Nutes? Does carbonic acid feed ectomycorrhizal fungi?

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
Answer to my own question... This is certainly cutting edge stuff figuring out what going on at the fungi level... No one really cared before, except the Ganja grower, so little research has been conducted. C>N are in partnership in this process..

Symbiosis with ectomycorrhizal (ECM)

Trees deliver a significant portion of their photosynthetic carbon (C) to the fungi. This nutrient exchange affects key soil processes and nutrient cycling, as well as plant health, and is therefore central to forest ecosystem functioning. Due to their ecological importance, there is a need to more accurately understand ECM fungal mediated C and N movement within forest ecosystems such that we can better model and predict their role in soil processes both now and under future climate scenarios.

Last edited:
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

So it's exchanging that for Nutes? Does carbonic acid feed ectomycorrhizal fungi?
Gas exchange is the same in aquatic plants, they take in co2 at the leaves and release o2... you know what you just gave me a great idea to explain how much co2 increases gas exchange in plants.

For those interested look up AQUAROUM PEARLING in a tank supplemented with again HIGH LIGHT and CO2. You can visually see the o2 being released into the water because the plants are producing it fast than it can be absorbed and the water is saturated with o2. This is exactly the same reason we don't need air exchange in a sealed room. There is more o2 produced than the plants need.

carbonic acid in water sprayed on the leaves can be absorbed by the plants.. soda water for example but it dissipates extremely fast so the benefit is extremely short lived.

Here is an example of plants with high light and co2 in an aquarium. All those bubbles being produced are o2 released from the plants due to photosynthesis at high rates leading to the water being saturated with o2 and not able to absorb any more.

Top Bottom