Water Wand/Submersible pump?

• Thread starter justiceman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
justiceman

justiceman

Hey farmers!

So I was sitting here brainstorming about hand watering. Some of the nutrients I use would not be good in a recirculating reservoir or even just running through drip lines in a drain to waste system. I'm sure this apply's to other farmers out there that use organic nutrients.

I garden in a small 4 x 4 tent. It's relatively simple for me to hand water in that small of a space. I'm trying to figure out how to increase my grow room size but still stick with my nutrient regiment and hand watering all while not spending some ridiculous amount of time dipping my watering can into a container of water and reaching over in the back of the tent or area.

Here's an idea I thought of but I'm not sure if it works or not. Is it possible to connect a submersible pump to a watering wand used for gardening? That way I could have a huge reservoir connected to the wand. Not only would I not have to go back and forth getting water. I would also have adequate reach with the wand, and the shower function would be ideal for watering.

11_U_fTGMRm-CFb9OhB6pAxjfbQuOANPmw5BrIO9zx5K2bvY5Xu02tKr3jVYvmD2VXeLOdSmAp3FxDNMT0KAVcsrx9aygUlpLfgR0bYJ9XqnWIQsc8V3kyYVnpWH5jZkSxh-WiekoD9y

+
AAPW400.jpg

=
:thinking????

Have any of you done this? If so please fill me in.

El Cerebro

El Cerebro

Yeah dude, I do it twice a day. Yer gonna need a much heftier pump though, 1/5hp minimum and that's not much pressure (gets the job done). One of mine is Ace hardware brand, better one is flotec from the depot. Most nozzles and wands kind of suck with these weak pumps, so maybe save the hassle and size up? Instead of buying and returning every nozzle design ever made, like someone I know..

Oh, and grab a few of those quick release fittings, then you can switch between nutes and water easily. Small labor savings add up to make gardening less stress (says the guy who's still hand watering). Seriously, why not go DTW? I am, just been to busy to hook everything up yet.

G

grinkeeper

yeah dude x2 ... hell if people didnt use these we would be watering for hours and hours... dude these are super easy to build and use/// just make sure you have a sprayer with a trigger hamdle to control flow.. pump can stay on even if wand valve is closed.. trust me it is safe and works fine this way.. get 3/4" black plastic hose... the garden hose fitings slide into the hose easy with presure fit/////

powerplant

powerplant

I top off my stand alone DWC buckets this way. Definitely will make things easier if you expand.

xX Kid Twist Xx

xX Kid Twist Xx

Premium Member
Supporter
get the rubbermade 35 gal trash cans or it might be a differnt brand you want the one with a flat bottom,get ur self a 1/6th horspower pump at home depot like 85 dollars and your good to go 25 feet no kink hose. i usually have a gallon jug or 2 lying around that i take the water out the trash can with mix my powdered nutes in that 1st real good then pour it back inot the trash can and mix again.

cannarado

cannarado

Premium Member
Supporter
get the rubbermade 35 gal trash cans or it might be a differnt brand you want the one with a flat bottom,get ur self a 1/6th horspower pump at home depot like 85 dollars and your good to go 25 feet no kink hose. i usually have a gallon jug or 2 lying around that i take the water out the trash can with mix my powdered nutes in that 1st real good then pour it back inot the trash can and mix again.

^^ What kid said and i also put my trash can res on the little tray with wheels that you can get for them. Then youre fully mobile to work and move your water source if need be

G

grinkeeper

I use a 55 gallon farm res that a elephant could stand on.. watering days I need to fill 3 of them.. seriously... and wheels are a good idea if your res is small enough but I went another route....

I have a 30 foot hose from my res and allows me to go all around my shop.. doesnt put any strain on the pump and its a pondmaster 600gph... pressure is great.. 5 seconds per pot...

wobbly goblin

wobbly goblin

i use the pond pumps also as they are quiet but you'll want a bigger one to keep the pressure up just like the 10 guys before me said

fwiw

El Cerebro

El Cerebro

Yes, wheels are crucial, the brute dollys cost more than the can and totally worth it. I use 55gal plastic barrel, easy to find clean ones on CL. Lots of casters and wheeled items at harbor freight or similar stores. If you're buying new, go with the coiled hose for sure, and I would def go up a pump model or two from the 1/6, mine turned out a bit weak.

We cavemen need to help each other out of the dark ages. Maybe we should link a top-drip DIY to this thread, the parts are even less expensive than buying this pump to hand water! Still haven't done it myself, just sayin..

TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

It's all about the Brutes! From the little 20 to the 55, they are awesome and all take the dolly. The dolly is key.

-TF

justiceman

justiceman

Thanks everyone! I didn't expect that many comments nor did I know it was already in use by a lot of other farmers. This is awesome:yes

We Solidarity

We Solidarity

I use a flotec 1/3 hp on about 60 feet of hose, works out fine.

Every wand I've had with a handle you squeeze has failed after a while, The only one I've found that lasts (and my favorite setup) is a dramm colormark wand with a 3/4 in. all brass shutoff valve. They make some pretty heavy duty valves with trigger-like levers that you can easily use with your fingers.

I'd recommend the goodyear black rubber hoses, tough and cheap so you can replace them easily after organic runs.

If you're gonna be doing lots of watering and don't want to go to irrigation, this is what's up.

Cort

Cort

Simple hand watering: no res required.

1 200-400gph pump (harbor freight 10-15 bucks works better than the same size $25++ hydro store one *for me*)
1 5g homer bucket
6 ft 3/8 line
1 stick of bamboo or other material
duct tape

secure one end of hose to bamboo with duct tape.
Use included attachments to connect hose to pump

Under twenty bucks.

ttystikk

ttystikk

I built a top feed irrigation system for 12 plants for under $100, pump included, the only thing left to buy was the short cycle timer, another $75. Fill res., ignore for two days. Repeat until chop-time. Just remember; the back you're saving may be your own...

J

Jalisco Kid

I am no tent grower but it would seem to me having smaller containers requires more vigilance keeping your girls happy. I am one who would never get back in time, all the time to water. I would use 3/8 pvc (hard to find) which would not clog unless you are feeding them a muddy ozz. You could but 1/2 in with ball valve to adjust each outlet which is what I would do. JK

xX Kid Twist Xx

xX Kid Twist Xx

Premium Member
Supporter
you should use a trash can with a flat bottom. the oens that fit on the dollys have a raised center. u can put the flat trash can inside the big rubber maids ones that fit on the dollys. also you want to push some clean water through your hose when your done feeding. i leave my pump stored in a 5 gal home depot bucket until im gonna use it. when im dont i put some hot water in the trash can and run it through into the home depot bucket until i see clear.

Top Bottom