Wedding cake - photo in veg. What you think is causing the leaf color

• Thread starter Vevenda
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Tasty Buds

Tasty Buds

I saw that droop. I think you're actually pushing the flush maybe a little too much?
How close to rootbound are ya? I'm guessing you have a good amount of roots, or you would have had possible root issues? Even let the soil dry some to get 02 to the roots. 7-1-1 probably won't give you the P-k needed. Botanicare makes a fairly balanced soil formula you might want to check out, but most grow, or even bloom nutes should do the trick at 1/4 strength. I think you have a pretty good understanding of what's going on, and you noticed the same thing I did with the pretty extreme over water symptoms. The best time to foiler is a few minutes after the lights come on. I believe you said you were using lemon juice? You might want to try PH down, as that may (just a guess, as I've never used lemon juice)..that may help keep the ph down a little quicker?
As long as that soil starts dropping in range, and I don't see why it shouldn't, I think you'll be OK.
Work castings
Let roots get some 02
Try PH down
More balanced nutrient
Foiler when lights come on.
My best advice being it's been a long time in soil, and I've never had this much trouble getting PH to come down. Keep me updated. I really hope you pull this through!

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

Don't flush anymore. I think it's just going to give you overwatering symptoms. Your repotting idea sounds like a good plan.

I'm not a big fan of flushing soil. While it seems like a good idea, I can't say it's ever helped me.

zebrausa

zebrausa

I was using a salt based fertilizer once a week and just switched away from salt. The 750w light is about 3ft away from the top of the canopy. How would you suggest determining if it is light or nute lockout? I do have some canoeing so you could be spot on that it has something to do with the light.
It’s not a light problem. Give cal mag as directed. In two weeks gone.

V

Vevenda

I saw that droop. I think you're actually pushing the flush maybe a little too much?
How close to rootbound are ya? I'm guessing you have a good amount of roots, or you would have had possible root issues? Even let the soil dry some to get 02 to the roots. 7-1-1 probably won't give you the P-k needed. Botanicare makes a fairly balanced soil formula you might want to check out, but most grow, or even bloom nutes should do the trick at 1/4 strength. I think you have a pretty good understanding of what's going on, and you noticed the same thing I did with the pretty extreme over water symptoms. The best time to foiler is a few minutes after the lights come on. I believe you said you were using lemon juice? You might want to try PH down, as that may (just a guess, as I've never used lemon juice)..that may help keep the ph down a little quicker?
As long as that soil starts dropping in range, and I don't see why it shouldn't, I think you'll be OK.
Work castings
Let roots get some 02
Try PH down
More balanced nutrient
Foiler when lights come on.
My best advice being it's been a long time in soil, and I've never had this much trouble getting PH to come down. Keep me updated. I really hope you pull this through!
Silly question time... how do you test for roots without pulling them out of the soil? And I ph with Apple cider vinegar now. I was using ph down.

Tasty Buds

Tasty Buds

Silly question time... how do you test for roots without pulling them out of the soil? And I ph with Apple cider vinegar now. I was using ph down.
If the roots get in bad shape (root rot pythium), and since you can't see them, unless you could look through any holes, or digging up a little. If in real bad shape, they will have a foul oder. If you could see them, the roots would be brown, and slimy. Keeping your nutrient solution around 67 degrees is optimal for getting O2 to the roots. Water temps at 67 hold 10x's as much O2 as temps of 77. Are the plants "drinking "?

V

Vevenda

If the roots get in bad shape (root rot pythium), and since you can't see them, unless you could look through any holes, or digging up a little. If in real bad shape, they will have a foul oder. If you could see them, the roots would be brown, and slimy. Keeping your nutrient solution around 67 degrees is optimal for getting O2 to the roots. Water temps at 67 hold 10x's as much O2 as temps of 77. Are the plants "drinking "?
They are definitely drinking. The soil gets dry every 3 to 4 days now. I haven't let them sit in water nor have i watered when it is moist (other then the flushing i did 2 days ago). I will do a little exploration and see if I can look at root health. Great to know about the o2 Stat. I have been giving them water at about 18.6c so that is right on the temp you are suggesting.

Tasty Buds

Tasty Buds

They are definitely drinking. The soil gets dry every 3 to 4 days now. I haven't let them sit in water nor have i watered when it is moist (other then the flushing i did 2 days ago). I will do a little exploration and see if I can look at root health. Great to know about the o2 Stat. I have been giving them water at about 18.6c so that is right on the temp you are suggesting.
Cool. The next time they start drying out flush em again. Maybe even go a little lower, as the foiler is on a temporary solution.
I'm just wondering what, if anything you may have done differently to get this spike?
At the very least this is a great learning experience, but I think you'll be ok

V

Vevenda

Cool. The next time they start drying out flush em again. Maybe even go a little lower, as the foiler is on a temporary solution.
I'm just wondering what, if anything you may have done differently to get this spike?
At the very least this is a great learning experience, but I think you'll be ok
I think I used the wrong soil from the start and this has be the source of some issue since transplant. I was also using a salt based nute and have switched that to one that is not salt based and has additional microbes for the soil. This is partially why I was thinking that maybe a transplant would be the way to go.try to shake of some of the existing soil and put in phed soil.

You are correct in that this is a great learning experience.

DBJ420

DBJ420

When was the last time you calibrated your ph meter? I had plants that looked just like that and my ph meter was off... You need to test it...

Tasty Buds

Tasty Buds

Good call. I actually calibrated it a week ago.
That was a good call. I calibrate often, so I guess I think everyone else does too. That should have been one of thev1st things I asked.
Let me ask you. Do you think your soil has poor drainage? What soil did you use?
Well, you said they are drinking, and that's good. I think it's just a matter of time before the root zone gets in range.

Budbhoy01

Budbhoy01

Beginning 6th week in veg
Soil ph 6.9ph, water 5.8ph
Switched to Roots Organic - terp tea on 5/6 (sprinkled on top before water)

Concerned about the darker veins and light green/yellow in-between on the new growth. Any wisdom and insight appreciated.
Looks like cal/mag deficiency to me as most of the plant 🪴 looks no bad flush twice with ph 5.8 water then start feeding again using calmag it could be nutrients lock out but I don’t think it is try the above let me no how u get on looks a real nice bushy bit cake

V

Vevenda

That was a good call. I calibrate often, so I guess I think everyone else does too. That should have been one of thev1st things I asked.
Let me ask you. Do you think your soil has poor drainage? What soil did you use?
Well, you said they are drinking, and that's good. I think it's just a matter of time before the root zone gets in range.
Here is the soil I used. It is possible that the ladies don't like it because of the lack of perlite. I am definitely using different soil next grow.

20220502 091049
V

Vevenda

So I have a new leaf color, burgundy. Little concerned because it is on the tips of the new growth. Derived from the same issue?

20220516 144907
20220516 144850
20220516 145131
Stonerbudz

Stonerbudz

Beginning 6th week in veg
Soil ph 6.9ph, water 5.8ph
Switched to Roots Organic - terp tea on 5/6 (sprinkled on top before water)

Concerned about the darker veins and light green/yellow in-between on the new growth. Any wisdom and insight appreciated.
Could add some cal mag it seems like ur missing out on some nutrients

Tasty Buds

Tasty Buds

That appears to be the consensus. Thank you for sharing your experience. Fingers crossed calmag+ does the trick

Is the soil coming down? The new growth is looking better. That's the 1st thing I'll look at in a recovering plant.Also if I want to save a plant that might not make it for whatever reason, I'll want 1 healthy area at least to take a clone. Are the other tops looking better as well?

Top Bottom