• Tagged users None
smokedareefer

smokedareefer

48 hrs drying on net. Not exactly what your asking but
20201015 151422

tobh

tobh

Supporter
60/60 rule man. live it, breath it, believe it. 10-14 days, buds ready for jars or if captain crunch on the outside with that gooey center like a fresh krispy kreme, into paper bags for another week then jars. Shit ain't rocket science if you don't deviate from the tried and true rules.

Madbud

Madbud

F*#@ing stoners, cut bud, weigh it and weigh it again tomorrow. I want data not debate.
Edit: if i went two weeks, half the buds would be toast. That 10-14 days is a big window, i’m looking for weight analysis to perfect drying time.

Last edited:
freezeland2

freezeland2

60/60 rule man. live it, breath it, believe it. 10-14 days, buds ready for jars or if captain crunch on the outside with that gooey center like a fresh krispy kreme, into paper bags for another week then jars. Shit ain't rocket science if you don't deviate from the tried and true rules.
He is conducting some research. Trust me he knows how to dry & cure bud.

tobh

tobh

Supporter
F*#@ing stoners, cut bud, weigh it and weigh it again tomorrow. I want data not debate.
Edit: if i went two weeks, half the buds would be toast. That 10-14 days is a big window, i’m looking for weight analysis to perfect drying time.
If you want empirical data, then gather it yourself. Don't crowd source something like this when there are far too many variables at play.

Let's dive in. Just based on geography here are my knee-jerk big variables:

- Are we coastal or high desert?
- what season are we in?
- how much harvest weight are we talking about?
- what facilities do we have for this drying process?
- are we drying indoors?
- are we drying outdoors?
- what is our end goal?
- why do we give a shit?

the last of those points being the most critical. not trying to be a dick but calling me a stoner is bullshit on its own. I grow. I don't smoke. I'm also an engineer by trade, and if I know anything about drying/curing, it's that it depends. If you want to know what the perfect time is for your situation, then figure it tf out. you can't crowd source this data. mic drop

Madbud

Madbud

If you want empirical data, then gather it yourself. Don't crowd source something like this when there are far too many variables at play.

Let's dive in. Just based on geography here are my knee-jerk big variables:

- Are we coastal or high desert?
- what season are we in?
- how much harvest weight are we talking about?
- what facilities do we have for this drying process?
- are we drying indoors?
- are we drying outdoors?
- what is our end goal?
- why do we give a shit?

the last of those points being the most critical. not trying to be a dick but calling me a stoner is bullshit on its own. I grow. I don't smoke. I'm also an engineer by trade, and if I know anything about drying/curing, it's that it depends. If you want to know what the perfect time is for your situation, then figure it tf out. you can't crowd source this data. mic drop
Stay in the box engineer.

growsince79

growsince79

Too many variables it will never work. What works is hang or brown bag until you can trim using fingers only. Perfect every time. Or you could wet trim a bud, weight it wet then dry it to constant mass and calculate moisture content. From there just dry the rest to 12% and jar. First way is easier and never fails.

Madbud

Madbud

Too many variables it will never work. What works is hang or brown bag until you can trim using fingers only. Perfect every time. Or you could wet trim a bud, weight it wet then dry it to constant mass and calculate moisture content. From there just dry the rest to 12% and jar. First way is easier and never fails.
I’m not going to disagree thats buds dry quicker in the oven. I’m looking and think i found a guide for new growers to take the guesswork out of drying but nobody believes it can be this easy. My first surprise was how quickly it lost 30% the first day at 60/60, a dozen times in the past few weeks.

growsince79

growsince79

I’m not going to disagree thats buds dry quicker in the oven. I’m looking and think i found a guide for new growers to take the guesswork out of drying but nobody believes it can be this easy. My first surprise was how quickly it lost 30% the first day at 60/60, a dozen times in the past few weeks.
It's not a linear loss. The weight loss is on a curve, and depends on more than temp and rh. Size, density, and even strain factor in.

Madbud

Madbud

It's not a linear loss. The weight loss is on a curve, and depends on more than temp and rh. Size, density, and even strain factor in.
Yes, and when the loss gets down to less than a gram in a day, that 30 gram bud is dry enough to cure. Weight loss of 80% is about right, not too wet and not too dry. So if have half a pound hanging, that one sample bud tells when they’re all done.

Madbud

Madbud

Little buds like that dry quick. These two took almost a month hanging at 60%. 400 and 420g wet at chop 48 and 54g trimmed and dry.View attachment 1181620
Sounds about right but you have experience. Wouldn’t it be more accurate to trim them at say 75 grams, with no experience, instead of squeezing and snapping branches?

growsince79

growsince79

Sounds about right but you have experience. Wouldn’t it be more accurate to trim them at say 75 grams, with no experience, instead of squeezing and snapping branches?
No way. They stay on the stem until they break off using fingers only. The fan leaves can come off while they hang, but the buds stay on. Not only does the final product taste better, but it's 10 times easier to trim.
IDK whats complicated about that for beginners to understand.

Top Bottom