Weight for Perfect Drying time?

• Thread starter Madbud
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Madbud

Madbud

Yea, I think bud density and oil content have everything to do with how much weight your going to lose. I have little doubts about that one.

ie. dry matter vs oily residue ratio's. Water bridges the gap between these two factors, and the oil/resin has a much higher molecular mass per volume than the dry leaf component.
Big bud or little bud, trichs are trichs and take the same time to do whatever they do in there but they don’t lose weight, that’s all water evaporating.

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
Yea, I think bud density and oil content have everything to do with how much weight your going to lose. I have little doubts about that one.

ie. dry matter vs oily residue ratio's. Water bridges the gap between these two factors, and the oil/resin has a much higher molecular mass per volume than the dry leaf component.
would putting the buds into the sealed container change that some? all the buds, once they are touching, sort of have a united factor that changes from the individual bud factor. water seeks its level, so anytime the buds touch another there is both wicking and ... ugh, word left me... capillary something... grrr, dont get old!

anyway, lots of things going on, hard to single out one to measure.

wouldnt moisture be a better constant than humidity?

Reactions: TSD
TSD

TSD

would putting the buds into the sealed container change that some? all the buds, once they are touching, sort of have a united factor that changes from the individual bud factor. water seeks its level, so anytime the buds touch another there is both wicking and ... ugh, word left me... capillary something... grrr, dont get old!

anyway, lots of things going on, hard to single out one to measure.

wouldnt moisture be a better constant than humidity?
Agree... put some overly dry buds in a jar with a few that are a bit moist, and they will all reach the same level within a few days with proper burping and turning... full disclosure, I've totally done that more than once to fix an oopsie in my dry/cure process and it works. This is the whole point of curing, to draw out the moisture within and have a nice even moisture level throughout.... but you know that already lol.

growsince79

growsince79

here's a weeks worth of data from the 2 sample buds. All the smaller buds on the yellow zip tie are jarred and curing now. None of the red zip tie pheno was ready yet.
Looking at the data. Still losing weight at 65%rh tells me it's not ready to jar. Stable at 60-62% ready to jar imo.

Ponky

Ponky

Sometimes I leave a bud or two on the drying rack for like 3 months. Find it. Twist it up. And it's really good. Frosty and resinous. Still smokes nice. Still rolls nice.

Madbud

Madbud

Just saying, at 60-62% humidity you can leave the buds unjarred forever and they stabilize at the correct moisture. If they're still losing weight at 67%rh its too wet.
Here’s my two least favorite words, “I think”they’d dry further depending on air flow, but don’t know.

Mr.GreenthumbOG

Mr.GreenthumbOG

Grow for life🌱
Supporter
Hahahaha. Quite the beating of a dead horse in here😂🐴🔨
Started on page one, and realized you cats were still on it at page12.

growsince79

growsince79

Just trying a different bridle, and seriously, what’s more important than the finish line?
The starting line. lol I really think people worry way too much about drying. If its good bud, it doesn't need a 2 month cure to make it good. Start with good genetics its good a week after cutting. Plant mids/crap and it don't matter how good its grown and cured.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
The starting line. lol I really think people worry way too much about drying. If its good bud, it doesn't need a 2 month cure to make it good. Start with good genetics its good a week after cutting. Plant mids/crap and it don't matter how good its grown and cured.
Nobody wants to admit it, but this is true.
I'll admit I do a slow dry in a fairly controlled environment at 60/60, but after 14 days I'm smoking, and it's good. I still cure the rest properly, but I find that its really more for stabilizing the moisture content for long term storage without getting moldy or over dried.

As far as smoking enjoyment goes.. for me the best weed is the ounce taken off the stem after a 2 week dry, then put in a sandwich bag in my stash box. Sometimes it's still a little gooey, but after a week in that sandwich bag it's dank. Sticky stinky and sweet. And rather fresh lol. I'd rather be smoking that than something I harvested last March. Like I'm doing now. It sucks.

Mr.GreenthumbOG

Mr.GreenthumbOG

Grow for life🌱
Supporter
Fact is, cannabis has a best before date, That can be prolonged if sealed and stored properly.
Once it gets to the right moisture level, best to consume it all in short order. I probably have enough in storage to last another year, but I’m growing some new stock as I like the fresh inventory in the lungs better. 👍

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Fact is, cannabis has a best before date, That can be prolonged if sealed and stored properly.
Once it gets to the right moisture level, best to consume it all in short order. I probably have enough in storage to last another year, but I’m growing some new stock as I like the fresh inventory in the lungs better. 👍
Yeah I fucked up and didn't get around to vac sealing my last crop in purged bags or jars or anything. It's all in a giant turkey bag just sitting there...lol.
Assuming the current cycle goes smooth, whatever I have left will be processed into edibles.

jadins_journey

jadins_journey

Supporter
Agree... put some overly dry buds in a jar with a few that are a bit moist, and they will all reach the same level within a few days with proper burping and turning... full disclosure, I've totally done that more than once to fix an oopsie in my dry/cure process and it works. This is the whole point of curing, to draw out the moisture within and have a nice even moisture level throughout.... but you know that already lol.
@TSD I would venture to say we have all mix an overly dry bud back in somewhere.

When I jar I know going into it some are too dry others too wet. Trim and mix it well into a pile then jar and burp.

Call it a crutch or lazy or whatever but I use a Bovada pack in every jar for the sole purpose of stabilizing buds I am confident are dry enough for long term storage

jadins_journey

jadins_journey

Supporter
So they’re continuing to lose weight drying?
It did but I don't have the numbers from those days. The remainder of that batch is jarred now. I did get a final pic of the red pheno, nice chunky little bud. Was a fun project, need anything else just ask.

jj

Weight5
jadins_journey

jadins_journey

Supporter
agree 100% but...

When I started out I lost an entire harvest to mold. Too wet when jarred obviously. If this keeps somebody from f"ing up as bad as I did it's worth a few keystrokes

peace

growsince79

growsince79

agree 100% but...

When I started out I lost an entire harvest to mold. Too wet when jarred obviously. If this keeps somebody from f"ing up as bad as I did it's worth a few keystrokes

peace
That's what I mean. You lost it to mold because you didn't want to dry it too fast. If you had just let it dry before jarring it would have been ok. Buds that break off clean won't mold.

Madbud

Madbud

agree 100% but...

peace
I think you verified my theory, there is a specific point drying when its dry, weight loss is nearly negligible. The only thing worse than overdried is underdried. My last jar is still spot on at 26.6g and 60% humidity, aromatic, perfect cure. Happy growing👍

Madbud

Madbud

It did but I don't have the numbers from those days. The remainder of that batch is jarred now. I did get a final pic of the red pheno, nice chunky little bud. Was a fun project, need anything else just ask.

jj
?? That was 19.5 a couple days ago, did you trim some of it?

Top Bottom