Weight for Perfect Drying time?

• Thread starter Madbud
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Madbud

Madbud

Are we arguing how to dry or how the weight is effected. I hang mine in my upstairs garage for around two to three weeks, depending on outside climate at the time. I live in north east America it’s always crappy during harvest time but you gotta control the environment they dry in or all the info you share is pointless without a baseline to go off of. I run two dehumidifiers and two oscillating fans to circulate air around a 30x40 space I also have a Mitsubishi air handler to control temp stays around 67 to 70 when I’m drying up there sorry for no punctuation was using voice to text
Thanks for joining in. We (i) am looking for weight loss relative to drying/curing, the sweet spot when jarring produces a cure but not mold or the hay smell. The discussion has gone from stem snapping to paper bags but little real data of weight loss during drying. My little bud went in the jar when weight loss got down to less than 10% in 24 hours(it was nearly 30% the first day) and seems to be curing perfectly. I have one plant left to test with.

smokedareefer

smokedareefer

The way I was taught accuracy and precision. I have a weight thats exactly 4.98lbs and two scales. The first scale reads 4.91lbs- the second reads 5.0lbs. So the second scale is more accurate than the first. The first scale is more precise than the second. Which $4 humidistat do you trust when you have 3 and the all read different?
Digital and a marker

+1 +2 etc until they add up to 75%

Plainfarmer420

Plainfarmer420

Thanks for joining in. We (i) am looking for weight loss relative to drying/curing, the sweet spot when jarring produces a cure but not mold or the hay smell. The discussion has gone from stem snapping to paper bags but little real data of weight loss during drying. My little bud went in the jar when weight loss got down to less than 10% in 24 hours(it was nearly 30% the first day) and seems to be curing perfectly. I have one plant left to test with.
OK I get what you’re asking now I mean I’ve paid attention to it but not on a level like that but it makes me wonder and it is a good question to ask I hope you get the information you need or at least a general area to go from happy growing guys or should I say happy drying

smokedareefer

smokedareefer

Yeah I have a ton of those little square ones and sometimes they are together and read different... I just use them as an estimate, cause if it gets too high I know I need to lay it out for a bit...but it's not like that's something I couldn't figure out by touch as well.
I've never found the touch either according to the meters.

I can't feel the difference between 65% and 60.

Last edited:
lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
the problem with relative humidity is that it is RELATIVE to temperature. change the temps and you change the measuring parameters.

60% at 72 degrees is not the same as 60% at 82 degrees, or actually there is a significant difference in 2 degrees change.

TSD

TSD

But its scalable, you only need to weigh one decent cutting to tell when the whole plants ready.
Not really... the tiny buds on the bottom are gonna dry way before big ass colas on top... especially if you're hanging entire plants, because gravity. But you do you boo. 😊

Madbud

Madbud

Not really... the tiny buds on the bottom are gonna dry way before big ass colas on top... especially if you're hanging entire plants, because gravity. But you do you boo. 😊
How much of your pounds was popcorn?😂

smokedareefer

smokedareefer

I grew pounds this year, so that's just too much hassle lol.
I only had 2 harvests this year as well all indoors. Lbs.

I've been using my method with those little meters. Meters are a quicker way for me to guess when things are getting close to the 12% moisture I'm looking for. Mad bud is using "shrink" were using humidity.

They both work imo.

Reactions: TSD
smokedareefer

smokedareefer

You can use the same shrink principle but putting the buds on nets, I use nets. My shrink works out to about 80% as hung on a line dryed is probably closer to 83%

tobh

tobh

Supporter
Why is it a bs discussion? It works!

I didn't read past the first page. The topic had nothing to do with defoliation. Regardless, a troll will be a troll. Per topic, too many variables come into play to dictate weight to dry time. Figure it out per situation. I'm done with this thread. Don't @ me. ☮️

Madbud

Madbud

You can use the same shrink principle but putting the buds on nets, I use nets. My shrink works out to about 80% as hung on a line dryed is probably closer to 83%
And thats what i was looking for at first, but now i’m looking for when the weightloss is nearly minimal, less than 10% in a day to know shes ready to jar. As tobh points out, theres a lot of variables, primarily heat and humidity that affect how quick she dries.

Madbud

Madbud

My last plant, using the two cuts on the right as a baseline, 19.7g.
2F3A5711 DA96 424E A856 6C28DDD35EE9
0A64229F BA87 42B0 B62A 2CE412812904

smokedareefer

smokedareefer

And thats what i was looking for at first, but now i’m looking for when the weightloss is nearly minimal, less than 10% in a day to know shes ready to jar. As tobh points out, theres a lot of variables, primarily heat and humidity that affect how quick she dries.
Weightloss doesn't become minimal until much lower ( 44%?) I would guess. I'm drying some now to tumble for hash.

Tomorrow I'll take 3 or 4 oz at 60%, weigh it and dry it to around 44% and weigh it again

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
well ok then... i have this terrible urge to @ tobh, just because i am that way... but i am under restraint... for now!

yes, RH is based on Temp. so 60% at 52f is not 60% at 72f or 92f. put your meter in your jar, heat or cool the jar by 5 degrees and see the change. but the bud has not gained or lost any actual moisture.

no real consistency in the measurements. i have pages and pages of temps and times and humidity, opening and closing jars. nothing worked out with any degree of accuracy. but the moisture meter and the grove bags works and is pretty exact. no matter the size plant, the humidity or temp, i dont check or bother it till it sends an alert to my phone that the moisture meter is at the set point. never sees the light or gets touched or pinched or snapped. i open the room, in the dark i put the plant into paper bags. reset the meter and wait for the alert. then clean it up and weigh it into the grove bags.

i like that moisture is moisture and not relative to temperature like humidity. 40% moisture is always going to be the same, no matter the plant or the environment or the jar size or any of the variables.

the grove bags just make it way too easy. put it in the bag, never burp, no meters, nothing extra. the bags store well and i never have to "check" or worry over them. the big thing you dont get with a jar is the weight stays the same. if it weighs 14.28g when you put it in, it weighs 14.28 6 months later too. you get loss in jars.

smokedareefer

smokedareefer

I don't think those variables will make much difference as a percentage. A fluffy bud on the stalk will be a fluffy bud in the jar.

11 to 12% moisture in the bud is approximately 62% rh in the jar regardless of any variable.

Top Bottom