• Thread starter Madbud
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Madbud

Madbud

48 hours, needle moved to near 60%, jar is curing fine

Madbud

Madbud

Checked the slightly dry 3/4 full jar was 58rh @75f. These buds have noticably less moisture than the 55% jar.
I still have the one plant, probably 20 g when its dry so i’ll try this weight experiment again in a couple days with a fuller jar. My meters are more for gauging change than precision tho i know they are fairly accurate.

TSD

TSD

admittedly, i havent read the entire thread...

i use a moisture meter. too many variables in any other way. (not a meter for humidity, a meter used mostly for wood moisture content)

i use Grove bags, so no loss from when i put them in the bag till i use it.

dry to 40% moisture content. brown bag till 15-18%. clean up and weigh out and bag in grove bags.

the numbers change as to the meter you use, but the consistency makes it so you can use it with a high degree of success, and no additional loss in weight even a year later when you open it.

good luck on finding your answers though!

the Grove Terp-Loc Bags make the biggest difference in things, but the moisture meter is my best solution to exacting the numbers so it works every time with every strain.

i insert the probe in a large bud, set it to send an alert to my phone when it hits the right numbers. i go open the door (so the first light it sees) and move it to the paper bag. next alert, i clean it up and weigh it out and bag it in Grove bags and store it (oh... and write on it all the deets)

it works even when the humidity is different, or the temp alters with the day. i dont have to open things and "check" for crisp or anything else. i dont guess at bend or snap of a branch. i know what size bud to pick, i guess that is a variable, but i found the answer to that one!

all the issues most have are solved with a grove bag and a moisture meter. the bags are cheap! i got enough for my needs for about $25 with discounts (lots of sizes and can get 1 or 2 of a size or 25 or any number!)

mine is for my use, but i like storing it in 1/2 oz bags ($.58 cents each). i open and use it before i get bored of it and i can go to the next one!

when this growing adventure started, i dried to smoke, curing was just something other people did! with the grove bags i "accidentally" cured it! i had lots less loss, and as i grew more the stuff lasted in storage longer and then one day i pulled out one i thought "meh" about and tried it... OMG my eyes were opened! much better smells, the taste was noticeable! (not that i liked some - the skittlez is a fruity foot that was removed from a cows ass...)

one in particular, the GG#4, i was liking the high, but no taste except smoke and rough smoke at that. made me cough lots. so i stuck it away and avoided it, so many were coming in and i was trying them a week from cutting!

one day, i pulled some out (mostly to show off a fun Grove bag i got with GG#4 on it) and we smoked and OMG!!! well, any who have tried a well cured GG#4 know about the taste! lol. i am not sure i like it, but it is distinct and sort of sweet. but the effect was stunningly better than before the cure.

anyway, try a Grove bag and just try out a moisture meter and absolutely do the sweating stage! it changes things a LO
Smaller amount needs longer in the jar to stabilize. Leave it shut tight for longer
Yeah I don't get an accurate reading on a rh meter until like a full day or more closed up in the jar... otherwise you're just getting a reading of the air that just went in when you opened it.

TSD

TSD

admittedly, i havent read the entire thread...

i use a moisture meter. too many variables in any other way. (not a meter for humidity, a meter used mostly for wood moisture content)

i use Grove bags, so no loss from when i put them in the bag till i use it.

dry to 40% moisture content. brown bag till 15-18%. clean up and weigh out and bag in grove bags.

the numbers change as to the meter you use, but the consistency makes it so you can use it with a high degree of success, and no additional loss in weight even a year later when you open it.

good luck on finding your answers though!

the Grove Terp-Loc Bags make the biggest difference in things, but the moisture meter is my best solution to exacting the numbers so it works every time with every strain.

i insert the probe in a large bud, set it to send an alert to my phone when it hits the right numbers. i go open the door (so the first light it sees) and move it to the paper bag. next alert, i clean it up and weigh it out and bag it in Grove bags and store it (oh... and write on it all the deets)

it works even when the humidity is different, or the temp alters with the day. i dont have to open things and "check" for crisp or anything else. i dont guess at bend or snap of a branch. i know what size bud to pick, i guess that is a variable, but i found the answer to that one!

all the issues most have are solved with a grove bag and a moisture meter. the bags are cheap! i got enough for my needs for about $25 with discounts (lots of sizes and can get 1 or 2 of a size or 25 or any number!)

mine is for my use, but i like storing it in 1/2 oz bags ($.58 cents each). i open and use it before i get bored of it and i can go to the next one!

when this growing adventure started, i dried to smoke, curing was just something other people did! with the grove bags i "accidentally" cured it! i had lots less loss, and as i grew more the stuff lasted in storage longer and then one day i pulled out one i thought "meh" about and tried it... OMG my eyes were opened! much better smells, the taste was noticeable! (not that i liked some - the skittlez is a fruity foot that was removed from a cows ass...)

one in particular, the GG#4, i was liking the high, but no taste except smoke and rough smoke at that. made me cough lots. so i stuck it away and avoided it, so many were coming in and i was trying them a week from cutting!

one day, i pulled some out (mostly to show off a fun Grove bag i got with GG#4 on it) and we smoked and OMG!!! well, any who have tried a well cured GG#4 know about the taste! lol. i am not sure i like it, but it is distinct and sort of sweet. but the effect was stunningly better than before the cure.

anyway, try a Grove bag and just try out a moisture meter and absolutely do the sweating stage! it changes things a LOT!!
Yeah grove bags are amazing, this is my first year using them, usually I do jars, but I had a nice bounty and jars just weren't feasible. It's like curing for dummies lol. I pretty much do the same as you, except without the meter and all my stuff is currently at the perfect level. When I glance through the bag window and the meter says 62%, it makes my little stoner heart happy.

growsince79

growsince79

I still have the one plant, probably 20 g when its dry so i’ll try this weight experiment again in a couple days with a fuller jar. My meters are more for gauging change than precision tho i know they are fairly accurate.
If I put a 1g fresh cut bud in a 40g jar, when the humidity is 15%-will it ever get to 62%? I think amount in the jar does matter.

Madbud

Madbud

Smaller amount needs longer in the jar to stabilize. Leave it shut tight for longer
Think its time to burp this jar? Humidistat moved from low 50’s to high 50’s in 48 hours. Looking forward to doing this again. Besides that link you posted i still don’t see much research on drying time and weight loss.

Madbud

Madbud

If I put a 1g fresh cut bud in a 40g jar, when the humidity is 15%-will it ever get to 62%? I think amount in the jar does matter.
I’ll try to remember that😅. What i know is that 1 g freshcut bud will lose a third of its weight in the first 24 hours, about 300 mg of water. ( maybe not, because its in a jar)

Last edited:
smokedareefer

smokedareefer

I feel like putting fresh cut bud in a jar is a bad idea... I get that it's for the experiment, but that's just asking for mold.
His bud was put in the jar after a weeks drying time and as it turned out it was "perfect" within the moisture range of 11 to 12 %

smokedareefer

smokedareefer

Think its time to burp this jar? Humidistat moved from low 50’s to high 50’s in 48 hours. Looking forward to doing this again. Besides that link you posted i still don’t see much research on drying time and weight loss.
I would burp

I've come across small blurbs here and there but that was as "scientific" as I've found

growsince79

growsince79

His bud was put in the jar after a weeks drying time and as it turned out it was "perfect" within the moisture range of 11 to 12 %
My point is, amount in the jar has to matter at least some. Added to the margin of error in the humidistat makes it somewhat unreliable. The weigh until it stops losing weight e.g. <0.5% in 24hours @ 62% seems like it would be more reliable.

growsince79

growsince79

I’ll try to remember that😅. What i know is that 1 g freshcut bud will lose a third of its weight in the first 24 hours, about 300 mg of water. ( maybe not, because its in a jar)
40 gallon jar is pretty big. LOL try 0.1g in a gallon. I got a harvest soon, I'll try to remember.

smokedareefer

smokedareefer

My point is, amount in the jar has to matter at least some. Added to the margin of error in the humidistat makes it somewhat unreliable. The weigh until it stops losing weight e.g. <0.5% in 24hours @ 62% seems like it would be more reliable.
The amount bud relative to jar size means a bigger jar will take longer to equalize with little change in bud moisture content. Imo×

Salt in a bottle cap with a splash of water on top placed in a baggie with your meter for 24 hrs meter should read 75%

Madbud

Madbud

I don’t see any inaccuracy in the needle, either it moves or it doesn’t move. Accuracy is just relative to precision, of which i possess little.

growsince79

growsince79

The amount bud relative to jar size means a bigger jar will take longer to equalize with little change in bud moisture content. Imo×

Salt in a bottle cap with a splash of water on top placed in a baggie with your meter for 24 hrs meter should read 75%
It will be a cool experiment. I bet it drys in the jar. I'll pick off a tiny bud tonight and put 1/10g in a gallon and see what it does. Feel free to remind me if I get high and forget to.

Plainfarmer420

Plainfarmer420

Are we arguing how to dry or how the weight is effected. I hang mine in my upstairs garage for around two to three weeks, depending on outside climate at the time. I live in north east America it’s always crappy during harvest time but you gotta control the environment they dry in or all the info you share is pointless without a baseline to go off of. I run two dehumidifiers and two oscillating fans to circulate air around a 30x40 space I also have a Mitsubishi air handler to control temp stays around 67 to 70 when I’m drying up there sorry for no punctuation was using voice to text

growsince79

growsince79

I don’t see any inaccuracy in the needle, either it moves or it doesn’t move. Accuracy is just relative to precision, of which i possess little.
The way I was taught accuracy and precision. I have a weight thats exactly 4.98lbs and two scales. The first scale reads 4.91lbs- the second reads 5.0lbs. So the second scale is more accurate than the first. The first scale is more precise than the second. Which $4 humidistat do you trust when you have 3 and the all read different?

TSD

TSD

The way I was taught accuracy and precision. I have a weight thats exactly 4.98lbs and two scales. The first scale reads 4.91lbs- the second reads 5.0lbs. So the second scale is more accurate than the first. The first scale is more precise than the second. Which $4 humidistat do you trust when you have 3 and the all read different?
Yeah I have a ton of those little square ones and sometimes they are together and read different... I just use them as an estimate, cause if it gets too high I know I need to lay it out for a bit...but it's not like that's something I couldn't figure out by touch as well.

Top Bottom