Weird growth in flower? How far along do they look? *pix*

• Thread starter greenergrowing4
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

smokestack23

Man...it sucks having to rely on other people to grow things properly. EVERYONE's an expert and has to try to re-invent the wheel.

Like I've always known and my wife just realized by watching me and learning and then seeing so many other people fail ....if you follow the directions on the bottles and do a bit of research like reading posts and HOW TOs here - back in the day pretty much all there was was the Marijuana Horticulture book- you probably will be successful.

So many times I've gone to grows and said...OK WHAT did you go and do...it CERTAINLY was NOT what I said..which was to ONLY WATER THEM WHEN THE MEDIUM IS this DRY!!
Initial answers were always...I didnt do anything...JUST what you said. I'm like BULLSHIT...WHAT did you do..or not do??
Eventually the truth comes out and it's always something EXTRA they thought would be "better"..like...well..my Mom used to add sugar to the houseplant water and they grew REALLY well...or...well..I decided to add some of the stuff you add when you're here....blah blah.
K.I.S.S.

Maybe things used to be a lot easier before there were so many different nutes and additives available.

PM eh? Time to build a sulfur burner. EVERYONE should have one.
I don't think they had such thing back in my day..the burners I mean...I'd imagine the PM has been around for a while lol.

mastacheeser

mastacheeser

The only "additives" I use are things like SM-90, Great White (not together of course), some epsom salts IF I see a Mg problem..usually just as a foliar spray though. Again...if a nute manufacturer's line doesn't have enough Cal or Mg....why wouldn't they just add more to the nutes rather than sell it as an additive? For instance...these nutes I use are "designed" for hydro use. Why should they need supplemental Mg or calcium when used in hydro units? Some will say that you'll only need CalMag if you use RO water because there isnt any of either in it. Well my tap water has a LOT more than just cal and mag in it. Why do I not have to add Iron, Sulphur, copper, phosphates (lol) when using RO water?
I dunno...for me, if I use RO water and the ph is within range and I'm giving the correct ppms, I don't have any obvious deficiencies.

Oh...I have used molasses in peat/pearlite grows. Didn't notice a difference.
and finally...people mix mediums to get a combination of what they need. some people need better drainage or better retention...or somewhere in between...some people want some buffering but not TOO much, some mediums have a higher or lower ph...you know.

Anyway...I'm glad I was able to help a bit and sorry for all the long-windedness.
cal mag is only absoulutly nessary in ro water, so nute companies dont want to only be able to sell their nutes to people with ro
also different strains like different amounts of cal mag
your kushes and ogs will love it

i highly recomend something like advanced nutrients bud candy or botaincares sweet if you dont think molases did anything for you
you whole block will stink like sweet

mittenmedgrow

mittenmedgrow

Im not so sure its a nute issue. The only time I've had this happen is from being to close to the light. You say its only the tops. I might be seeing your pics wrong but thats what it looks like to me.

mittenmedgrow

mittenmedgrow

Just looked at pics again. They are awfully dark.If these other people think its a nute prob. good chances there is. I just havnt seen it.

S

smokestack23

Mastacheese...thanks for the tip. I'm using Hollands Secret nutes and have no issues with RO water. Well..not yet anyway...so you think I should add calmag? I'll definitely pick some up next time I'm in the city.
Also, you figure bud candy is the best? Any close seconds in case they don't have it at the shop? I'll definitely notice a difference?
It isn't organic or anything is it? I'm extremely nervous about bacteria and fungus.

Thanks for the tips.

G

greenergrowing4

cal mag is only absoulutly nessary in ro water

You are very right but I am going to stick to adding it once a week, I just cant take the extra N. For the next run ill be adding lime to the coco for CA and 1tsp/gal espon salt for MG

i highly recomend something like advanced nutrients bud candy or botaincares sweet if you dont think molases did anything for you
you whole block will stink like sweet

I use Honey ES from humboldt nutrients every 10 days and molasses inbetween every other feeding.

Im not so sure its a nute issue. The only time I've had this happen is from being to close to the light. You say its only the tops. I might be seeing your pics wrong but thats what it looks like to me.

The lights being too close really didnt help but Im pretty sure with how dark green the leaves are there is something going on. If my nutrient profile was all good I would think it was just the light too, but damm cal mag has half the N of micro and my bloom booster was carrying another percent as well.

I think the biggest change to them will be the PH, I swear I can see the changes already.

Thanks everyone my girls really appreciate the help too :)

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Hello, here I thought I was the only one who sees it that way. :makeup

Not a nute issue, definitely not pushing too much nitrogen (at least, I haven't managed to get that sort of response from pushing too much nitrogen), certainly not when they're only about 30 days in. But, I do see that others disagree. I disagree with those assessments, I've given myself the opportunity to see foxtailing from pushing N too hard too late in flower and what I'm seeing isn't it.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Lengthened calyxes that appear as though they also might be hardened (literally, physically harder than normally formed calyxes). Foxtailing looks decidedly different, as does the leafiness that can occur when pushing too much N too late in flower.

G

greenergrowing4

Can you think of a reason of why this would happen if it isn't high N? What about the high PH and how close they got to the lights around day 20?

Lengthened calyxes that appear as though they also might be hardened (literally, physically harder than normally formed calyxes). Foxtailing looks decidedly different, as does the leafiness that can occur when pushing too much N too late in flower.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
No, I can't. Like I said previously I've seen this once before and it seemed to be centered rather completely on the light itself, as the strange formations occurred only on the top, center colas of the plants that were centered on the light mover.

Let me see if I can find some pix... Ah, yes, here we go. This was both my first indoor run of Orange Krush (sent to me as Cali Blue) and my first coco run. This girl was very easy to overfeed, and I didn't appreciate the importance of Ca/Mg when growing in coco. I got about a pound from the single 600W light on the mover, flowered for about 90 days, IIRC (didn't keep notes on that run).

Funky bud
Funky bud6
Funky bud8
Funky bud3
CRW 8124
G

greenergrowing4

Oh wow yes thats what it looks like, I guess it never got that bad but it was heading in that direction for sure. Some top colas seem worse then others but today they actually seem to be doing much better. All I could really attribute that too is that I changed the PH. The light was also pushed way up a few days ago and they were only light poisoned for 3 days at most.

If they had those problems and you still got a lb from 600 watts thats pretty good, I can only hope to do so well. .75 grams per watt would still put me at 1.6 lbs per light so it could definitely be worse.

No, I can't. Like I said previously I've seen this once before and it seemed to be centered rather completely on the light itself, as the strange formations occurred only on the top, center colas of the plants that were centered on the light mover.

Let me see if I can find some pix... Ah, yes, here we go. This was both my first indoor run of Orange Krush (sent to me as Cali Blue) and my first coco run. This girl was very easy to overfeed, and I didn't appreciate the importance of Ca/Mg when growing in coco. I got about a pound from the single 600W light on the mover, flowered for about 90 days, IIRC (didn't keep notes on that run).

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Supercrop the affected colas. They won't come back, but the others will do well IME.

Btw, that run was done using the Big Ricky formula, except that I miscopied the recipe and used 5mls Fox Farms Big Bloom instead of 15mls (per gallon). Also, that particular line is super easy to overfeed, had to drop the Floranova Bloom to 3mls/gallon. Thusly, I seriously doubt that high N levels were to blame. What also lends credence to that line of thinking is that if it were high N levels, then all bud sites and plants would be affected in a more equal manner, instead of being centered under the center, mid-point of the mover's run.

G

greenergrowing4

Well I have actually started this yesterday trying to get some further from the light, I did notice that the buds directly below the top of the main cola are fine. So really all I would loose in all this is the very very top of maybe 20 or so plants. I couldnt see loosing more then an ounce and even then it wouldnt be lost just thrown in with the sugar trim for hash.

I will take pictures tonight everyone can see how well they are coming along since the changes. I love how quickly you can see adjustments in coco. :party0042:

Supercrop the affected colas. They won't come back, but the others will do well IME.

Melvan

Melvan

Haha must be exciting. I would like to get things dialed in here so I can move on to the others, our collective has multiple grows going and all but this one are total disasters. Thankfully we were able to build this one from the start ourselves and keep a close eye, later in the week are visiting one that by the pictures looks like it snowed powedery mildew. If you need more action you should have my job, I could really use a vacation :smiley_joint:

I wish I had your problems. Not being in an mmj state I'm still waiting for the day when I can look forward to a vacation from growing my plants, and not have that vacation be behind bars.

G

greenergrowing4

Well until legalization even CA isnt that forgiving, I have had my share of legal problems. But it does help to have an argument, where in FL all I would have is a cell mate. :worried

I wish I had your problems. Not being in an mmj state I'm still waiting for the day when I can look forward to a vacation from growing my plants, and not have that vacation be behind bars.

S

smokestack23

hmmmm...I don't knooooowwww...seamaiden's pics look like there was some light pollution coming in. Everytime I've ever had anything too close to the light they burn. If you're getting problems (other than light/heat burn or stress) at sites closest to the lightsource it's usually a deficiency or toxicity (maybe caused by ph) because that's where most nutrients are being metabolized.
If you ask me, the closer to the light the better...as long as you don't burn your plants. If there are no weak links in the system, your plants should be able to handle ALL the light you can give em (to a certain extent..you are NOT even close).
Is it really THAT hot in your room? Are you using a 1KW light closer than like 16" from your plant? Are the temps iabove the mid '80s??
I have 600watt HPSs about 8 inches from my trees and 1KW hps are about 10" away. The 1KW HPSs on tracks are even closer. No cool tubes..YET..they're going on a couple tonight. My plants are LOVING it and displaying EXPLOSIVE growth. If I could get my lights even closer without bleaching and burning the hell out of the leaves I would. The plants want it closer. They're even TELLING me so.
YMMv I suppose?.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
It all stopped the moment I moved the light a little further away. No light pollution in this room, smokestack, she's still pumping out flowers. There *is* such a thing as lumen shock. Seems impossible to do with manmade light, but I've seen that and a couple other strange things that ultimately traced to the lighting situation. If pH and other factors were out of whack, especially in coco, there would have been signs elsewhere and not so localized, IMO.

Also, in that particular room, for that particular grow, keeping things warm enough was a huge problem, definitely not cooling them down.

mittenmedgrow

mittenmedgrow

Ya seamaiden that last pic of yours is about the worse Ive seen in my garden. My issues were definitely from being to close to the light. But in my garden it was obviously the plants closest to the light. Some of those pics you put up are crazy.

G

greenergrowing4

I have (4) 1000 watts about 1ft away from the tops. They were starting to bleach those 3 days and thats when we got extreme and cut the table feet to try and fix the situation.

The temps get up too 85 but only because Im running co2. I have 3 fans going and 2 of them shoot right over the canopy at all times. I can hold my hand at the canopy and not feel that kind of heat you would expect to cause burn.

I know the light has to be the main issue because like seamaiden says there would be no reason for the other flowers to not be effected.

I am finally seeing the buds swell and not so much leaf action. At least Ill get some great hash from all this... tons o trim

hmmmm...I don't knooooowwww...seamaiden's pics look like there was some light pollution coming in. Everytime I've ever had anything too close to the light they burn. If you're getting problems (other than light/heat burn or stress) at sites closest to the lightsource it's usually a deficiency or toxicity (maybe caused by ph) because that's where most nutrients are being metabolized.
If you ask me, the closer to the light the better...as long as you don't burn your plants. If there are no weak links in the system, your plants should be able to handle ALL the light you can give em (to a certain extent..you are NOT even close).
Is it really THAT hot in your room? Are you using a 1KW light closer than like 16" from your plant? Are the temps iabove the mid '80s??
I have 600watt HPSs about 8 inches from my trees and 1KW hps are about 10" away. The 1KW HPSs on tracks are even closer. No cool tubes..YET..they're going on a couple tonight. My plants are LOVING it and displaying EXPLOSIVE growth. If I could get my lights even closer without bleaching and burning the hell out of the leaves I would. The plants want it closer. They're even TELLING me so.
YMMv I suppose?.

Top Bottom