What Am I Doing Wrong?

• Thread starter Kalikush
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Kalikush

Kalikush

Lemon juice or vinegar in a pinch but ph down from a hydro store is best.

Hmmm, the whole reason I went organic was to avoid the hydro shop bottles and I read that you don't really need to adjust water ph with a good soil mix. I guess I can use lemon juice for now and try to figure out why my soil is not buffering properly even though I've got oyster shell flour in there.

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
Hmmm, the whole reason I went organic was to avoid the hydro shop bottles and I read that you don't really need to adjust water ph with a good soil mix. I guess I can use lemon juice for now and try to figure out why my soil is not buffering properly even though I've got oyster shell flour in there.
Do you add humic acid?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Hey, I missed your post about cutting the FF with rice hulls. Take care with that, they will drive pH up. It's a myth that you don't need to pay attention or manage pH in organic. I've seen plenty of times where this is simply not the case, and I've done it myself once or twice. Ok.. maybe three times.

The oyster shell flour, just like dolomitic lime, will buffer pH up. Again, take care with it. Also, you can use citric acid as a pH down but it's also known to kill microbes. I myself like phosphoric acid. Vinegar is a waste of time unless you concentrate it.

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
Hey, I missed your post about cutting the FF with rice hulls. Take care with that, they will drive pH up. It's a myth that you don't need to pay attention or manage pH in organic. I've seen plenty of times where this is simply not the case, and I've done it myself once or twice. Ok.. maybe three times.

The oyster shell flour, just like dolomitic lime, will buffer pH up. Again, take care with it. Also, you can use citric acid as a pH down but it's also known to kill microbes. I myself like phosphoric acid. Vinegar is a waste of time unless you concentrate it.

What about distilled white vinegar, still needs to be concentrated?

sixstring

sixstring

Dang the seedling looks bone dry. I think you need to cook the coots mix for months not weeks.prob still way too hot for seedlings.grab some seed starter soil like seamaiden said.use this stuff in another month or so.

surfguitar

surfguitar

Your soil mix is to hot man! start seedlings in jiffy pellets, cubes or just the base part of coots soil with the oyster shell flour. No offense to the above posters but you are just gonna create headaches if you follow there advice to ph anything. Get the seedlings in a lighter mix, compost has more than enough food for them till they need to be transplanted. Don't worry about teas or anything at this point, once the cups are rooted good transplant to your final container with coots mix and start hitting them with compost/botanical teas and foliars.

Don't complicate it KISS!

Kalikush

Kalikush

Do you add humic acid?

I have some arctic humic acid(looks like castings or compost) but i didn't use it. Would this help with my pH problem? How would you use humic acid to help? I have a bottle of Ful Power too.

That makes two of us! I didn't notice you had responded to this thread again haha I did a quick google search and it seems rice hulls are pH neutral but that could be my problem. I'm not sure what else would drive the pH of my soil up since I only used distilled water to cook the soil. Did you notice the rice hulls adjusting the pH more up front or over time?

I did add an EWC tea(pH 6.5 ish) to the rest of my soil the other day, then mixed with pH 6.8 water and after 30 mins the water was at 7.1. Maybe I can just make sure to water it with water with a pH of 6-6.3 and hopefully that would keep it in the correct range.

I see what you are taking about with the pH bounce, my water definitely goes back up several points after being adjusted with vinegar. I'll try to adjust it a couple times before using it and see if it will stay st a given pH after dosing with vinegar a couple times.

Dang the seedling looks bone dry. I think you need to cook the coots mix for months not weeks.prob still way too hot for seedlings.grab some seed starter soil like seamaiden said.use this stuff in another month or so.

I overwatered many of them so I've been making sure the soil is very dry, though the seedlings haven't wilted badly yet. What is so hot in my soil that I need months of cooking?

Your soil mix is to hot man! start seedlings in jiffy pellets, cubes or just the base part of coots soil with the oyster shell flour. No offense to the above posters but you are just gonna create headaches if you follow there advice to ph anything. Get the seedlings in a lighter mix, compost has more than enough food for them till they need to be transplanted. Don't worry about teas or anything at this point, once the cups are rooted good transplant to your final container with coots mix and start hitting them with compost/botanical teas and foliars.

Don't complicate it KISS!

So far it's been tough to KISS lol what is so hot in my mix? I don't have any bone/blood meal or any guanos.

surfguitar

surfguitar

At that stage they need a very light soil, neem/crab/kelp are too strong especially at full concentrations. I used a half amended cootz soil this round to transplant seeds I started in rapid rooters and even that was a little hot for the small plants, took them a couple days to get used to it

Kalikush

Kalikush

At that stage they need a very light soil, neem/crab/kelp are too strong especially at full concentrations. I used a half amended cootz soil this round to transplant seeds I started in rapid rooters and even that was a little hot for the small plants, took them a couple days to get used to it

I started another in FF Happy Frog and rice hulls 50/50, hopefully that's not the cause of my high pH problems as Seamaiden has suggested. I'd rather not use perlite but maybe I'll have to. At least it won't be too hot for them haha

I'll take a look, thanks for the link.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Did you notice the rice hulls adjusting the pH more up front or over time?
Fortunately, over time. When I've used them I found they take a long, LONG time to break down. And when you have a whole bag of them wetted down, it feels like shrimp shells.

R

rascali

I know everyone likes to be positive and helpful, but I think what you (OP) are doing wrong here, is Growing.
You're obsessive compulsive, over-thinking and under-qualified. You are unable to sort wheat from chaff and are blithering around, bouncing off of every morsel of advice you can glean from any electronic source available.
Some people just should not be growing...

Kalikush

Kalikush

Fortunately, over time. When I've used them I found they take a long, LONG time to break down. And when you have a whole bag of them wetted down, it feels like shrimp shells.

Well that's good at least and I don't mind since these are organic, it's just more matter for the soil. shrimp shells? lol maybe I should have wetted then down before using them so I could feel them haha maybe I used less than I was supposed to since I measured them dry.

Kalikush

Kalikush

I know everyone likes to be positive and helpful, but I think what you (OP) are doing wrong here, is Growing.
You're obsessive compulsive, over-thinking and under-qualified. You are unable to sort wheat from chaff and are blithering around, bouncing off of every morsel of advice you can glean from any electronic source available.
Some people just should not be growing...

Seriously?? Are you running the dispensary that sells the overpriced hydro that tastes and smells like every other strain grow with GH nutes that leaves a bowl full of black fucking ash in my bong? Go troll somewhere else, switching to organics is a learning experience, no need for such bull shit in this thread.

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
Some peoples kids...
Good on ya for tryin, you will be a master grower in no time!
When I first started I watered my plant sometimes multiple times a day in miracle grow soil with miracle grow nutes. Besides, the easiest way to learn is to make a mistake and try again.

Kalikush

Kalikush

Some peoples kids...
Good on ya for tryin, you will be a master grower in no time!
When I first started I watered my plant sometimes multiple times a day in miracle grow soil with miracle grow nutes. Besides, the easiest way to learn is to make a mistake and try again.

Exactly! And sounds like me but I had those blue 'grow' lights from Home Depot too lol I remember the lady asking me what I was growing, of course it was tomatoes haha

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
http://growershouse.com/growershouse-t-shirt-420-rasta
rastashirt.jpg
you shoulda wore this t-shirt

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
If your town has a home depot youre lucky, my nearest lowes or depot is almost two hours away.
I live in the not so friendly midwest where they can still lock you up and take away your kids for using natural medicine.

Latest posts

Top Bottom