What are these leaves telling me?

• Thread starter oaktoke
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
oaktoke

oaktoke

Hey all,

I'm fairly new at this, first time post here...I grew a Harle Tsu mostly inside a couple years ago, with flowering outside on our deck. This year I've grown a Harle Tsu from seed outside in a container...It's hooting up nicely, but the leaves look odd. I've attached pix, anyone know what's going on? It's probably a month old? I haven't been feeding it anything fancy, just a 1-1-1 Dr. Earth fertilizer I have...I tried adding some epsom salts last feeding to see if it would help. Thanks for any info!

What are these leaves telling me
What are these leaves telling me 2
What are these leaves telling me 3
What are these leaves telling me 4
Tommy626

Tommy626

Has it been cold at night?
Purpling is indicative of a cold root zone and cold temperatures inhibit mag uptake. Bring it in at night or put a heating mat under that clay pot. Hope that helps. Good luck

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
It looks like whatever it is its growing out of it. Keep an eye on the new growth.

Last edited:
oaktoke

oaktoke

Hey, thanks everyone! Tommy626, I live in the Bay Area and it's pretty normal here to have a warm day and then fog rolls in and knocks it down to low 60s...so the variation at night can be pretty high. It's why tomatoes never thrive in San Francisco (I'm in Oakland, which is much better) because it gets too cold at night to self pollinate in the summer. We've also had some pretty wild temp swings even for us, with a hot streak of a week in the 90s, then fog all day for a week. I'm guessing you might be on to something...I'll put a leaf under the microscope too...what should I look for?

JWM2, it has grown pretty fast! I put it in that pot not very long ago when it was a wee babe. Maybe it's running out of room too.

Also, I found a thread somewhere else finally where someone had a similar look to their leaves, and it sounded like the theory was PH being too high. Does that seem possible? I have test on the way...

Arne

oaktoke

oaktoke

So I'm looking for clusters of little bugs under the leaves with a scope? I tried a 10x loupe but didn't see much...

Tommy626

Tommy626

I’m confident that’s what is going on there. The purple color thru me for a loop at first.
Russets are small linear green bugs. A lot of times those ruffles in the leaves are clusters of them that’s how small they are. Look where the petiole and leaf meet. That’s where they breed. Not sure how to treat but the plant won’t make it through flower without help bc the flowers are the preferred cuisine of russet mites

oaktoke

oaktoke

Well, I looked at it under 10x and 120x (lowest my scope goes) and didn't see much of anything...looked all up and down the leaf, at the base where the pettiole meets the leaf on the picture you circled there...I saw a couple round things that maybe could've been eggs of some kind, but certainly nothing that looked like an infestation. maybe the infestation just isn't very big yet? I was looking at pix on the web of russet mites and those infestations look pretty intense and unmistakable...

Flexnerb

Flexnerb

Well, I looked at it under 10x and 120x (lowest my scope goes) and didn't see much of anything...looked all up and down the leaf, at the base where the pettiole meets the leaf on the picture you circled there...I saw a couple round things that maybe could've been eggs of some kind, but certainly nothing that looked like an infestation. maybe the infestation just isn't very big yet? I was looking at pix on the web of russet mites and those infestations look pretty intense and unmistakable...
You dont have 60X setting on that scope?

brandonlongmire

brandonlongmire

Help guys!! I posted this but no response on anther thread! My plants started doing this weird color of yellow on top while the bottom in nice and green!

F03528D8 9CE1 43B3 9091 254C6F16E298
4FF4ABC7 50EC 4036 AB94 32631E1AF7B2
Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Latest posts

Top Bottom