What Do You Think??

• Thread starter Klintus
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
THCdurk

THCdurk

If you take the hood out you can put some of those y splitters in sockets hanging over your plants from the bars up top you could prolly fit 3 or 4 instead of just the one. I mean you don't really need the hood.

Klintus

Klintus

but i dont want that hps :D electricity bill 's gonna kill my ass :D
might see what i could do with the hood, i'll find a solution maybe ;)

Ooopsi

Ooopsi

Well, a 250w bulb will pull about 1/4 kilowatt per hour. Let's say you were using it for 18 hours a day. That makes you 4,5 kilowatt a day. Times 31 equals 139,5 kW a month. I just checked and our local provider has a rate of 0.133€ per kW. 139,5 x 0.133 = 18,55€ a month compared to +- 9€ when using your 125w cfl. That's a 9€ difference...
I think that's worth the extra cost... But that's only my opinion...

Last edited:
McCannabis

McCannabis

The bulb splitter is a great idea, get rid of the hood and grab another bulb, at least why you already have, toss it in there, all and all its gonna be cheap, still cheaper than an HPS. I have a three way splitter, with 3 150W CFL's. makes a huge difference!

Klintus

Klintus

what do you think if i'd take the one for the veg phase in there aswell? so i'd have 2 * 125W lamps with 2 different schemes of light...???!!??? might that be an idea?

McCannabis

McCannabis

Brilliant! As long as they don't mess up your light cycle go for it! IMO, more light makes those babies green and mean for growth!

Klintus

Klintus

it's 2 diffrent spectrums... but that should be ok i think :D gonna check then tomorrow for an adapter for the light cause i only have 1... i have to switch bulbs everytime i go into bloom

organix4207

organix4207

Wattage is wattage guys . If you use 3 × 150 watt CFL bulbs , you could use the 250 watt hps with better results and less $$ . The heat off 3 of those 150's would likely be more than the hps as well.
Just my 2 cents
Peace, love &
Positive Vibes :)

Ooopsi

Ooopsi

Rofl. You're so stubborn!
Ok. Again. The facts:
Using 2x 125w cfl or using a single 250w will cost you about the same at the end of the month.
Using 250w hps is more effective than using 2x 125w cfl.
To use that second cfl bulb, you'll have to buy stuff while you could just pick up my hps for free!
To use that cfl bulb you'll have to build sth on your own (Yes, I know you like that, McGuyver) while you could simply hook up the hps and that's it.
Heat generation will be about the same.
Well, I wouldn't think twice but it's up to you. I know you'll be doing just fine any way you'll do it, I just feel like you're making things more complicated than they could be and I really want your crop to be huuuge. Not for any personal reasons though *cough*... Of course not.... ;)
Ps: I still have that 250w cfl / bloom spectrum in case you forgot, also for free, and an adapter as well... Mr. Money Penny... :P

3N1GM4

3N1GM4

10x 23watt cfl bulbs will give better coverage than 2x125watts

With more smaller wattage cfls you can place them around the plant on all sides, cfl light doesnt penetrate very well so more smaller wattage bulbs work better and actually have more lumen per watt

Ooopsi

Ooopsi

@3N1GM4 agreed! That's exactly why I see a problem in hooking up these 2 huge cfl's right above the 2 plants. Light penetration will not be much better on the sides. Because his using the 2 lights in that small space he'll be hanging the veg cfl above the first plant and the bloom cfl above the second one or sth like that. I was using the same bulbs and I can tell: these big cfl bulbs generate lots of heat for cfls so he can't really put them closer to the plants either.
@Klintus: I'm sorry if it seems like I wanna convince you to try that hps, but you really have nothing to lose. If you don't like it, just give it back to me, but at least try it. You do certainly remember my last crops, these fluffy buds... (compared to hps) And we were like: oh yes, that's mostly because I switched to cfl. And that was a 250w bulb I was using. You agreed and now you're using a 125w cfl yourself.
As I said, you're free to choose, but given the hps is for free, I really don't see any reason you wouldn't at least try it out dude. You don't even have to rewire the ballast. I added 2 sockets so you can just plug them in...
Think about it. It's waiting for you. It's your call now.
I really do respect your will to do everything on your own and I do know it's working well but hey, it's just another option you may try and THEN decide what's best. That's how I see it... You can still buy your adapters and splitters after that. Freedom of choice.
I'm gonna just leave it up to you now.
Cu soon buddy anyways! Was missing you last week... Enjoy your weekend!!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom